Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Please explain why c is wrong.

which can only be used as a non-essential modifier is not the correct reason in my view.
Anyone in conflict please go through this.

https://gmatwithcj.com/articles/sc-misc ... formation/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AashishGautam wrote:
GMATNinja

Please explain why c is wrong.

which can only be used as a non-essential modifier is not the correct reason in my view.
Anyone in conflict please go through this.

https://gmatwithcj.com/articles/sc-misc ... formation/

Hi AashishGautam,

I haven't gone through your sources, but the usage of which is definitely a problem in option C.

The main problem in your reasoning is this bit: "which can only be used as a non-essential modifier is not the correct reason in my view". The debate over whether which can be used in a restrictive sense is not really relevant here, as it has been used in a nonrestrictive sense in option C. What you're thinking would apply to a situation like this:

1. The book that I read... ← If the intended meaning is correct, a restrictive that is not a problem.
2. The book which I read... ← This is a restrictive which, and we need to be careful here. Don't mark an option that uses which this way unless you know what you're doing.

Option C uses neither of these structures. Instead, which is clearly set off using commas, which means that we're looking at the nonrestrictive interpretation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
I eliminated the choices A and B on the ground of wrong equation: Debacle = Fault.

I am not becoming mathematical here. But Debacle is Fault doesn't look parallel, in which "IS" is parallel marker. There should be "due to" or "because of" to make this sentence work

Expert kindly dive in to address the issue. Thanks in advance.
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
I eliminated the choices A and B on the ground of wrong equation: Debacle = Fault.

I am not becoming mathematical here. But Debacle is Fault doesn't look parallel, in which "IS" is parallel marker. There should be "due to" or "because of" to make this sentence work

Hello abhishekmayank,

We hope this finds you well.

To provide a bit of clarity on this issue, "A is the fault of B" is simply an idiom that conveys that B is responsible for A.

We hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:

Hi abhishekmayank,

Both debacle and fault are nouns. The structure used in B is just this: {something} was (not) {something else}.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Thanks again to ExpertsGlobal5 and AjiteshArun for quick response !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Still not convinced how is option C incorrect. Is anyone able to help?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Eshangupta1211 wrote:
Still not convinced how is option C incorrect. Is anyone able to help?

Wondering if you had a chance to go thru this post by GMATGuruNY.

Basically, "essential vs non-essential" modifiers have a role to play here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses "essential vs non-essential" modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of negligence when the crucial data went missing, the CEO defused a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.

A. a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
B. a situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
C. a situation, which was quite tense, by stating publicly that Smith was not responsible for the debacle
D. a quite tense situation with a public statement about the debacle not being Smith’s fault
E. a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault

D usage of being is wrong here and E construction is strange. Both out.
C is wrong because it places a important information between comma, thus making this important information secondary. It distorts the meaning. And if you try the sentence by removing what's between the 2 commas (counted as extra info on GMAT so optional) the sentence dont makes sense anymore. C out

Between A and B. I prefer B because using 'by' here explains the HOW the CEO defused the situation. How did she defuse the situation ? BY doing X

Also A can be confusing with the usage of 'with' which here can have a double meaning

B winner
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
Have a few doubts:

Option D: "the debacle not being Smith's fault":
1) What kind of a structure is this? Is it a clause
2) What is the function of "being"? Is it used as a verb (the past progressive form of "is" in passive voice construction)
3) Is it permissible to use a clause after "about"? Public statement about X(noun/ clause?)

Option E: "debacle not to have been Smith’s fault":
1) What does this phrase mean exactly and is it incorrect. If yes, why is it incorrect?
Is it because we have a simpler way of saying the same thing(debacle was not Smith's fault) and we don't want to highlight any sequencing of actions
Send PM
Expert Reply
toothless123 wrote:
Have a few doubts:

Option D: "the debacle not being Smith's fault":
1) What kind of a structure is this? Is it a clause
2) What is the function of "being"? Is it used as a verb (the past progressive form of "is" in passive voice construction)
3) Is it permissible to use a clause after "about"? Public statement about X(noun/ clause?)

Option E: "debacle not to have been Smith’s fault":
1) What does this phrase mean exactly and is it incorrect. If yes, why is it incorrect?
Is it because we have a simpler way of saying the same thing(debacle was not Smith's fault) and we don't want to highlight any sequencing of actions

Hello toothless123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your queries, in the phrase "the debacle not being Smith's fault", "being" is a present participle ("verb+ing"); this construction is a participle phrase that refers to the action of the debacle not being Smith's fault.

In Option E, the phrase "stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault" is incorrect, as it does not convey any coherent meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Although some had accused Smith, the firms network manager, of neglig [#permalink]
AjiteshArun AndrewN,

I hope you are doing good.

I have a small doubt to discuss. Although I chose option (B) as the correct choice, one thing that threw me off was the placement of comma + by stating.... As per my understanding, a "present participle phrase" or a "verb-ing modifier" acts as an action modifier that modifies its preceding action.
Here, the sentence is,
Quote:
"the CEO (S1) defused (V1) a situation that (S2) was (V2) quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.
So, does not "verb-ing modifier" modify the just preceding action "that was tense" here? Logically it should refer to the first action, but the placement of the "comma" does bring up that room for ambiguity in my opinion, what do you think about this? I have read Charles' explanation on why "comma" does not necessarily make this option incorrect, but I feel that it does make it a bit ambiguous.

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos