Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: For many years, historians thought that the development of capitalism [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 3

waytowharton wrote:
Hey experts,

KarishmaB GMATNinja ExpertsGlobal5 AjiteshArun

Could you help me understand why option D is incorrect in Q3. It is mentioned in the passage- "Buttressed by mercantilist notions that government should be both regulator and promoter of economic activity, these norms persisted long after the American Revolution helped unleash the economic forces that produced capitalism."

(D) asks us what some recent "scholars" would think about certain "norms." The scholars' main argument is that capitalism wasn't accepted without a struggle. The "norms" are part of this struggle against unrestrained capitalism. Specifically, "religious and communitarian norms" promoted protections for people in who would potentially be harmed by capitalism.

So, would the scholars agree with (D)?
Quote:
(D) [The norms] facilitated the successful implementation of mercantilist notions of government in the United States in the nineteenth-century.

Hmm. We know that laissez-faire capitalism largely won out against mercantilism after the American Revolution. Sure, the norms themselves lasted, and laissez-faire capitalism "had not triumphed completely," but the scholars don't think that mercantilism was "successfully implemented" in the US. So they wouldn't agree that the "norms" helped to implement mercantilist notions of government.

(D) is out for question 3.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: For many years, historians thought that the development of capitalism [#permalink]
Hi

KarishmaB GMATNinja GMATGuruNY ReedArnoldMPREP

Please advise for QS 1. I was stuck between B & D and ended up choosing B as the passage stated two view points and Option D just covers one of the view points for a "Laissez-faire capitalism". Is option B wrong because the passage never really reconciles/synthesize the two opposing view points?

Thanks
Kitty
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
Hey experts,

KarishmaB GMATNinja ExpertsGlobal5 AjiteshArun

Could you help me understand why option D is incorrect in Q3. It is mentioned in the passage- "Buttressed by mercantilist notions that government should be both regulator and promoter of economic activity, these norms persisted long after the American Revolution helped unleash the economic forces that produced capitalism."

3. The passage suggests that the "scholars" (Highlighted) would agree with which of the following statements regarding the “norms” (Highlighted)

(A) They provided a primary source of opposition to the development of laissez-faire capitalism in the United States in the nineteenth century.
(B) Their appeal was undermined by difficult economic times in the United States at the end of the nineteenth century.
(C) They disappeared in the United States in the late nineteenth century because of the triumph of laissez-faire capitalism.
(D) They facilitated the successful implementation of mercantilist notions of government in the United States in the nineteenth-century.
(E) They are now recognized by historians as having been an important part of the ideology of the American Revolution.

Recently, however, some scholars have argued that even though laissez-faire became the prevailing ethos in nineteen-century America, it was not accepted without struggle. Laissez-faire capitalism, they suggest, clashed with existing religious and communitarian norms that imposed moral constraints on acquisitiveness to protect the weak from the predatory, the strong from corruption, and the entire culture from materialist excess. Buttressed by mercantilist notions that government should be both regulator and promoter of economic activity, these norms persisted long after the American Revolution helped unleash the economic forces that produced capitalism.

The highlighted shows us that the answer is (A).

(B) Their appeal was undermined by difficult economic times in the United States at the end of the nineteenth century.

From the passage:
Hard times continued to revive popular demands for regulating business and softening the harsh edges of laissez-faire capitalism.
Hard times revived the demand for norms; they did not undermine the appeal of the norms.

(C) They disappeared in the United States in the late nineteenth century because of the triumph of laissez-faire capitalism.

From the passage:
These scholars argue that even in the late nineteenth century, with the government's role in the economy considerably diminished, laissez-faire had not triumphed completely.
The norms did not disappear. Laissez-faire had not triumphed completely.

(D) They facilitated the successful implementation of mercantilist notions of government in the United States in the nineteenth-century.

Mercantilist notions were not successfully implemented in US in the 19th century.
We are given that laissez-faire capitalism was implemented. It was opposed by the norms and the mercantilist notions but still capitalism was implemented.

(E) They are now recognized by historians as having been an important part of the ideology of the American Revolution.

We are given that American Revolution helped unleash the economic forces that produced capitalism. The norms were not a part of the ideology of AR. The norms opposed the ideology (capitalism).

Answer (A)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) reveal the underlying similarities of certain arguments regarding the development of capitalism in the United States
(B) synthesize two competing arguments regarding the development of capitalism in the United States
(C) defend an established argument regarding the development of capitalism in the United States
(D) summarize a scholarly refutation of an argument regarding the development of capitalism in the United States
(E) discuss a new methodology for the study of the development of capitalism in the United States

From the passage:

For many years, historians thought that the development of capitalism had not faced serious challenges in the United States...
Recently, however, some scholars have argued that even though laissez-faire became the prevailing ethos in nineteen-century America, it was not accepted without struggle. Laissez-faire capitalism, they suggest, clashed with existing religious and communitarian norms that imposed moral constraints on ...

The passage starts with how historians thought something for many years.
And then it goes on to tell us that now some scholars are arguing otherwise.

(A) reveal the underlying similarities of certain arguments regarding the development of capitalism in the United States

The passage discussing two conflicting ideas, not similar. Incorrect.

(B) synthesize two competing arguments regarding the development of capitalism in the United States

What put me off this option is the use of "synthesize" which means "create." The author only quotes historians and scholars and hence I do not like this option.

(C) defend an established argument regarding the development of capitalism in the United States

The author is opposing an established argument by talking about recent claims of some scholars.

(D) summarize a scholarly refutation of an argument regarding the development of capitalism in the United States

Correct. The author summarizes the scholarly refutation of an argument. He doesn't synthesize the refutation. He summarizes how the scholars are refuting.

(E) discuss a new methodology for the study of the development of capitalism in the United States

Out of scope.

Answer (D)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts