Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

How much would you be willing to pay for a business class upgrade on a 10+ hour flight?

You may select 1 option
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm also 6'5 and at $300 I'd be tempted. On past flights I've taken a steady dose of Advil to keep my back from locking up and to make sure I can walk upright when I get off the plane.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
GMATT73,

I'm guessing you're talking about your flight from Japan to the US? Last Februrary I flew to visit my friend in Osaka (boston to detroit to osaka) and I'm 6'5" so I'm usually uncomfortable on planes anyway, but I was thinking with a 12 hour flight I'd probably be paralyzed from the wait down by the end of the flight. I looked at upgrades, first class tix were 10K a pop, ridiculous.

I found this great website called seatguru.com where they have most airlines listed, and for each airline they have the exact way that each airline configures seats on the different types of aircraft in their fleet. And then each seat has a rating and description. So I was flying on Northwest on a Boeing 747-400 and checked out the seating chart and found a regular coach seat that happened to be positioned near a bulk head which meant extra leg-room. Northwest lets you select your seat online so I was able to get a coach seat with lots of legroom. You should check it out.

But wouldn't it be great to be able to afford one of those first class seats that recline into a bed? Some day.

Right you are johnny boy! Factoring in the pacific trade head winds, I'm really suprised that you made it to Osaka from Detroit in less than 15 hours. There always seems to be a 2~4 hour differential depending on the route and season.

As much as I would love to stretch out on one of those United first class "suites," the closest I will ever get (Pre and probably post-MBA) is salivating over the picture posted below :cry:

You do make a valid point about the bulkhead row though. Problem is, many US bound flights departing from KIX are codeshared with ANA and originate from Okinawa. No offense to any fellow enlisted men out there, but guess who jumps at those emergency exit rows first? The 6'10" 270 lb. sergeants and lieutenants on leave from Kadena.

I actually do have enough accumulated JCB alliance mileage points to sport the upgrade, but was planning to hold off on using those until I book that final one way flight (hopefully) later this summer.
Attachments

firstBed.jpg
firstBed.jpg [ 60.23 KiB | Viewed 2462 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I actually do remember a bunch of servicemen on my return flight. It probably was more than 12 hours, I forget exactly how long, but I took a sleeping pill and a couple glasses of wine right after take-off which was a good way to shave 8 hours off the flight.

Well good luck, hopefully you can at least get an aisle seat.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
i love being under 5'3". Sure, I can't ever reach anything, and I look like I'm twelve, but I'm never uncomfortable on planes. (and the one time I did fly first class -- Moscow to Chicago -- it was a total waste. The food was better, but I was no more comfortable than I would have been in coach.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
As a person over 6 feet myself, i voted $600.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Business class is the difference between being able to nap/sleep or agonizing with back pain. I guess the question is: is an extra day worth 600$ to you? Without business class you'll have to use that day to recover. With business class, not so much.

I voted 600$.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The best business class I have traveled on was on Singapore Airlines. Their Space Beds are just stunning -

https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... demo1.html
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I took a sleeping pill and a couple glasses of wine right after take-off which was a good way to shave 8 hours off the flight.

Yeah, you'd think that would be enough to knockout even Akebono {who incidentally has to purchase an entire bulkhead row and sleep on the floor in front of all three seats- one of my clients from Dentsu flew with (behind) him over to Tokyo a couple years ago}. I can handle one or the other, but if I wash down an Ambien with a couple glasses of cab sov, then I actually begin to hallucinate.

Then again, at 6'5" you're clearly a bigger guy with probably a higher tolerance.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
After picking a ground staff's brain for 30 minutes, here is her advice on how to significantly increase our chances of getting bumped into biz class (just in case anybody still cares).

1. Sign up for economy plus and always check in late. If EP is sold out or overbooked you will be automatically upgraded to biz. The fee is about $300 p/year. On the flight over, I sat next to a woman from Chicago who happened to have an EP membership. She mentioned that she gets bumped to biz about 25% of the time because people like myself buy EP seats at check in and they fill up fast. EP members are never downgraded to standard coach seats.

2. Dress appropriately. Passengers who are upgraded usually wear business attire and are well groomed.

3. Fly consistently with the same airline and mention that your company has a corporate account. Frankly, United service sucks, but the seats are inexpensive and upgrades are available at check-in for $200~500.

4. Be nice, a little persistant, but don't overdue it. Mention something like, "I would do almost anything for a good night sleep before tomorrow's meeting." Leave your boarding pass with the ground staff agent you personally buttered up and be patient until she calls your name prior to boarding. This gives her more time to figure things out and possibly squeeze you in.

5. Don't buy a "Y" class ticket. I was almost upgraded to biz on the flight back to Japan, but the staff straightforward said that it is against company policy to upgrade Y tickets without paying the on site fee.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm 5'5, so I voted for 0.
Why you guys are so incredible tall....
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
darren1010 wrote:
I'm 5'5, so I voted for 0.
Why you guys are so incredible tall....

I have also noticed that several members in this club are 6 ft+ (Rhyme, Johnny, Pelihu, Dukes, Matt...)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I travel outside US every summer. I am 6'1 and never had any trouble :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
i love being under 5'3". Sure, I can't ever reach anything, and I look like I'm twelve, but I'm never uncomfortable on planes. (and the one time I did fly first class -- Moscow to Chicago -- it was a total waste. The food was better, but I was no more comfortable than I would have been in coach.)

hey, I wish I were 6'. Maybe we should trade our bodies.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

You are a fat guy's dream on the train. Fat people always gravitate towards the skinny.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

You look like your 12?

LOL
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

You look like your 12?

LOL

Well, I now have about a half-dozen gray hairs, so perhaps 16.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
rhyme wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

You look like your 12?

LOL

Well, I now have about a half-dozen gray hairs, so perhaps 16.

Pulled out my first two grey hairs yesterday. Must be related to all the pre-matriculation stress. Yuck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2