Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618998 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Haas & Fuqua Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
GRE 1: Q170 V161

GRE 2: Q170 V164
GPA: 4
Send PM
Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 and [#permalink]
Kudos
PyjamaScientist wrote:
(C) for me. It took me 01:26. Last 20 secs were used "remembering the OG question" on which this particular seems to be based upon.

Anyway, "and" here is incorrect as per the meaning construed by the original sentence. So, we can safely rule out (A) and (B).

In (E), "with a history of hypospadias running in their family" seems to be implying that the infants born to mothers with a history of hypospadias. The meaning is absurd. Did infants have a history of hypospadias?

Between (C) and (D), (C) wins because of the nonsense "running in them" at the end of (D).
* "whose families have a history of hypospadias running in (families)"
This does not make any sense.
* "whose families have a history of hypospadias" is so much precise and clear in (C).

Hey, Thanks for the explanation I get that it's redundant to use 'running in the family'.
I juggled between C and E and finally marked E because if you ask me to compare between 'whose families' and 'with a history of..' I felt latter makes more sense since it reduces the (unnecessary)usage of pronouns. And also I didn't feel E much weird since it conveys the exact meaning and fits about right.

Please do let me know if I missed something with my approach.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 and [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) and their families have a history of hypospadias
"their" can refer back to infants and mothers both. ambiguous

(B) and a history of hypospadias runs in the family
this makes the sentence sound like talking about two different things. "infants....mothers... and a history...."
incorrect

(C) whose families have a history of hypospadias
seems fine

(D) whose families have a history of hypospadias running in them
same as A

(E) with a history of hypospadias running in their family
same as A
IMO C
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 and [#permalink]
Kudos
ramyasree0299 wrote:
PyjamaScientist wrote:
(C) for me. It took me 01:26. Last 20 secs were used "remembering the OG question" on which this particular seems to be based upon.
Anyway, "and" here is incorrect as per the meaning construed by the original sentence. So, we can safely rule out (A) and (B).
In (E), "with a history of hypospadias running in their family" seems to be implying that the infants born to mothers with a history of hypospadias. The meaning is absurd. Did infants have a history of hypospadias?
Between (C) and (D), (C) wins because of the nonsense "running in them" at the end of (D).
* "whose families have a history of hypospadias running in (families)"
This does not make any sense.
* "whose families have a history of hypospadias" is so much precise and clear in (C).

Hey, Thanks for the explanation I get that it's redundant to use 'running in the family'.
I juggled between C and E and finally marked E because if you ask me to compare between 'whose families' and 'with a history of..' I felt latter makes more sense since it reduces the (unnecessary)usage of pronouns. And also I didn't feel E much weird since it conveys the exact meaning and fits about right.
Please do let me know if I missed something with my approach.

Hi ramyasree0299,

I think you misinterpreted "absurd" as "redundant" in my explanation of rejecting (E) as a correct answer choice. I wrote, "In (E), "with a history of hypospadias running in their family" seems to be implying that the infants were born to mothers with a history of hypospadias. The meaning is absurd. Did infants have a history of hypospadias?" I was hinting towards "with phrase" masquerading as an "adverbial modifier" here.
You said that you didn't feel E much weird. Well, in reality, it is very weird. Let's see the entire sentence with (E),
    Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 with a history of hypospadias running in their family are more likely than others to have this particular birth defect.
If I redact the prepositional modifiers and other not so important stuff and strip this sentence to its bare bones, it will look something like this-
    Infants born to mothers with a history of X running in their family are likely than others to have a birth defect.
See the weirdness now? No? Let's contrast this with (C).
    Infants born to mothers whose families have a history of X are more likely than others to have a birth defect.
Do you see why "running in their family" modifying "history" is pretty weird compared to plain and simple, "families have a history".
If you can't see the indirect language in (E), then there's another issue in (E). "with a history of X running in their family" is a prepositional phrase modifying the noun it touches, i.e., "mothers". In my opinion, it is a pretty ugly usage of a "with phrase" as an adjectival modifier.
You don't say, Mary married a man named John with a huge beard. Here, the placement of "with a huge beard" makes it ambiguous as to what it modifies. The action of "Mary marrying John", or the man "John"? A direct simpler sentence for this example is- Mary married a man named John who has a huge beard. Here "who" is a relative pronoun that is modifying the noun it touches "John". So, there is no ambiguity.

I hope it makes sense.

P.S: Please tag me by using "@" + my username. That way I can be notified and thus I can respond promptly to your query.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Re: Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 and [#permalink]
Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 and their families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have this particular birth defect.
Ans:C
(A) and their families have a history of hypospadias--run on sentence
(B) and a history of hypospadias runs in the family--not a list
(C) whose families have a history of hypospadias--correct
(D) whose families have a history of hypospadias running in them--in them is not required
(E) with a history of hypospadias running in their family--wrong usage of with
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618998 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Research indicates that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 and their families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have this particular birth defect.

This Month's Questions are Sponsored by
Experts' Global for the GMAT Club SC Butler

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Experts' Global Official Explanation:

Grammatical Construction + Modifiers + Pronouns + Meaning + Redundancy/Awkwardness

Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 whose families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have the said birth defect.

• Any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.

A. This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between the modifying phrase “born to mothers over the age of 40” and the independent clause “their families have a history of hypospadias”; please remember that any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel. The fundamental reason for this lack of parallelism is that the use of the “and” is inappropriate in this context, as it alters the meaning of the sentence by incorrectly implying that the conditions of being born to mothers over the age of 40 and their families having a history of hypospadias are two independent conditions that both apply to the infants; the intended meaning is that infants born to mothers, who are over the age of 40 and whose families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have the said birth defect.

B. This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between the modifying phrase “born to mothers over the age of 40” and the independent clause “a history of hypospadias runs in the family”; please remember that any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel. The fundamental reason for this lack of parallelism is that the use of the “and” is inappropriate in this context, as it alters the meaning of the sentence by incorrectly implying that the conditions of being born to mothers over the age of 40 and hypospadias running in the family are two independent conditions that both apply to the infants; the intended meaning is that infants born to mothers, who are over the age of 40 and whose families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have the said birth defect. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase “a history of hypospadias runs in the family”, leading to awkwardness; the use of the word “runs” is redundant, as “a history of hypospadias in the family” sufficiently conveys the intended meaning- that older family members have suffered from hypospadias.

C. Correct. This answer choice correctly modifies “mothers over the age of 40” with “whose families have a history of hypospadias”, conveying the intended meaning of the sentence- that infants born to mothers over the age of 40, whose families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have the said birth defect. Further, Option C avoids the parallelism error seen in Options A and B, as it directly modifies “mothers over the age of 40” with “whose families have a history of hypospadias” rather than using a conjunction. Additionally, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D. This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “families have a history of hypospadias running in them”, leading to awkwardness; the phrase “running in them” is redundant, as “families have a history of hypospadias” sufficiently conveys the intended meaning- that older family members have suffered from hypospadias.

E. Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “running in their family”; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that all of the “mothers over 40” have a single family; the intended meaning is that infants born to mothers over the age of 40 whose respective families have a history of hypospadias are more likely than others to have the said birth defect. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase “a history of hypospadias running in their family”, leading to awkwardness; the use of the word “running” is redundant, as “a history of hypospadias in the family” sufficiently conveys the intended meaning- that older family members have suffered from hypospadias.

C is the best answer choice.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618998 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

This Month's Questions are Sponsored by
Experts' Global for the GMAT Club SC Butler

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Experts' Global Video Explanation:

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts