Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Evaluate Argumentx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [4]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]
pqhai wrote:
MulanQ wrote:
Valii wrote:
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!

Hello MulanQ

I understand the question's logic is quite hard to digest. The key point is that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part. It means that no matter one can/can't hear anything, he/she always replies in a predetermined way. In this question, the deaf part means one is hypnotized to become "deaf", he/she is not a deaf person. (I think you misunderstood this point). In order to prove that the two parts is dissociated, we have to prove TWO cases, NOT only one used by the author.

If the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part, so:

Case #1: Although one can actually hear, he/she always replies "NO". --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "YES", he/she may hear something actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

Case #2: Although one does NOT hear anything, he/she still replies "YES" --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "NO", he/she may not hear anything actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

If the two cases above are shown properly, the argument's conclusion is correct. But if only one case is shown, case #1 in this question, we can't conclude that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part.

A shows that the author "forgot" case #2, so the conclusion should be weaken.

Hope it helps.

Hi, can u kindly help me to understand how option A is different from option D. A asks why do the subjects dont respond 'yes'. D, on the other hand, asks why do the subjects respond in the same manner ie. they say no every time instead of yes.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?

(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?

(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?

(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described?

(E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

sunny91 wrote:
Hi, can u kindly help me to understand how option A is different from option D. A asks why do the subjects dont respond 'yes'. D, on the other hand, asks why do the subjects respond in the same manner ie. they say no every time instead of yes.

Choice (D) does not ask, "Why do they always say 'No' instead of 'Yes'." Rather, choice (D) asks, "Why don't the responses vary from subject to subject? Why don't some subjects say 'No' while others say 'Yes'? What explains the consistency of these results? Answering this question alone might challenge the explanation described in the passage, but (A) directly challenges the explanation given, so it is a better answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Indeed I got it right. However I am still not satisfied with Choice A. What guarantees that a Yes or No to this question will make theorists' argument wrong that selves of hypnotized subjects get dissociated into separate parts?

Just restarted my GMAT life. KUDOs please :-)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
saski07 wrote:
Indeed I got it right. However I am still not satisfied with Choice A. What guarantees that a Yes or No to this question will make theorists' argument wrong that selves of hypnotized subjects get dissociated into separate parts?

Just restarted my GMAT life. KUDOs please :-)

We don't need a GUARANTEE that a yes/no answer to this question will make the argument invalid. We simply need the answer choice that identifies the most serious weakness in the argument. Choice (A) is the best answer, even though it does not prove that the argument is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE:Design (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Though the hypnotised subjects are disassociated into two , the part that is dissociated (not deaf) from the part that’s deaf might still be thinking that it’s not deaf. There’s no evidence that there’s a communication between two parts. So when asked if they can hear the part that’s answering, since it is dissociated from the deaf part can still answer ‘yes’. If that’s the case the explanation doesn’t hold good so IMO A

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
It seems to me that the reply of those hypnotized is a given fact. It has to be given a reason. Only that reason can be attacked and not the fact that the hypnotized saying "no". So choice A may not be a good choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
is this a easy medium or hard question on the gmat?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
tr123 wrote:
is this a easy medium or hard question on the gmat?

You can check the difficulty level of a question in the tags just above the first post. You can also check the stats in the original post. For this question the difficulty level is 700..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]
GMATNinja ManhattanPrep avigutman MartyTargetTestPrep I do not understand this question at all. Why is the concern not about what is stated in D or E? If the two parts are dissociated then how does everyone have the same response and also how ar everybody's parts the same? This does weaken the conclusion

What would the passage or wording have to be in order for D or E to work?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
I do not understand this question at all. Why is the concern not about what is stated in D or E? If the two parts are dissociated then how does everyone have the same response and also how ar everybody's parts the same? This does weaken the conclusion

This is the proposed explanation for the surprising phenomenon:
the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts.
If that explanation is indeed the correct explanation, Elite097, wouldn't you expect all subjects to be impacted in the same way? In fact, I'd find it surprising if there was a variation in the ways in which the subjects were impacted.
Elite097 wrote:

(D) would be a good answer if we add the word "some" to the explanation:
the selves of SOME hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
(E) would be a good answer if the hypnotized subjects were all told different things (some were told that they're blind, some were told that they're deaf, etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Send PM
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]
avigutman why do you think that would be surprising? To me it seems that if deafness and what they say are dissociated, the responses would be more randomized and people wouldbe more likely to give random responses: some yes and some no since there is no logic behind them saying 'no'. It is not that we are told anywhere that they say 'no' on behalf of the deaf part

avigutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:
I do not understand this question at all. Why is the concern not about what is stated in D or E? If the two parts are dissociated then how does everyone have the same response and also how ar everybody's parts the same? This does weaken the conclusion

This is the proposed explanation for the surprising phenomenon:
the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts.
If that explanation is indeed the correct explanation, Elite097, wouldn't you expect all subjects to be impacted in the same way? In fact, I'd find it surprising if there was a variation in the ways in which the subjects were impacted.
Elite097 wrote:

(D) would be a good answer if we add the word "some" to the explanation:
the selves of SOME hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
(E) would be a good answer if the hypnotized subjects were all told different things (some were told that they're blind, some were told that they're deaf, etc.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
To me it seems that if deafness and what they say are dissociated, the responses would be more randomized and people would be more likely to give random responses: some yes and some no since there is no logic behind them saying 'no'. It is not that we are told anywhere that they say 'no' on behalf of the deaf part

That's why the correct answer is (A). If the selves are truly dissociated, you'd expect the part that replies to always reply "Yes".
I don't know why you'd expect the responses to be randomized, Elite097.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
avigutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:
To me it seems that if deafness and what they say are dissociated, the responses would be more randomized and people would be more likely to give random responses: some yes and some no since there is no logic behind them saying 'no'. It is not that we are told anywhere that they say 'no' on behalf of the deaf part

That's why the correct answer is (A). If the selves are truly dissociated, you'd expect the part that replies to always reply "Yes".

Yeah because what is the reason for them to always say 'no'? There is no reason to it. It is purely random and without a logic- not related to deaf part or anything they perceive. It is purely random so people would be likely to give random responses. It is like if you toss 10 coins and expect them all to land on heads. There is no logic to the flip- any flip can result into anything and having all heads would be a rare coincidence. Similarly, all of them saying no is a rare coincidence which does not make sense as it seems like they would be rather be giving random responses since they cannot even hear from some parts and the part that can hear has no specific logic
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

Yeah because what is the reason for them to always say 'no'? There is no reason to it. It is purely random and without a logic- not related to deaf part or anything they perceive.

Just because we don't know what the reason is, that doesn't mean there's no reason. In fact, we can be sure that a reason exists, because such a surprising phenomenon MUST have an explanation (in GMAT world).
It's not for us to determine *why* the hypnotized subjects all said "no." Some theorists attempted to do that, and our job is to challenge the most serious weakness in that attempted explanation, which argued that
Quote:
the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts
and that
Quote:
the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

So, let's pretend for a moment that the attempted explanation is indeed the reason why they all said "no."
Do you then question why the hypnotized subjects all gave the same answer, Elite097?
I know you're questioning why the hypnotized subjects always said "no?" but that's not the same as questioning why they all responded the same way.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts