Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [23]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club World Cup Competition July 11-22, 2022 [#permalink]
Sweet! Who are the captains for each team?
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [2]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
bb

PFB few questions related to the competition:
1. Max daily World Cup points per person per question: i think it would be 130 (10+10+10+100) instead of 120. Or is it that I have misinterpreted something- may be if we get a kudo for posting explanation, we will just get additional 90 points?

2. 30 timers can be taken from previously solved questions in our error log, right? Or should it be only the unsolved ones?

3. Can you please confirm whether 24-hour day reset for taking 30 timers is Noon PST or Midnight PST or 8 am PST? There is a contrast in the post between Noon PST and Midnight PST. Further, as per my experience, reset time for earning reward points is currently 8 am PST, so I guess it would be the same for 30 timer reset. Also, new questions in the competition will be posted at 8 am PST.

4. Can you please elaborate on the point that the timer is setup to track performance on your end in such a way that we need to mark an answer choice between 6 seconds and 6 minutes (both inclusive) and is not specific to the competition? In the past, I have taken more than 6 minutes to solve a question, however, I have received daily timer reward point for the same.

5. Experts, Instructors, Tutors, Moderators, and Administrators are not eligible to earn points (though they can still participate in the competition - their points will not be used): Then what's the point of them being a part of any particular team?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you. I think you are onto something here. It should 130.

Kushchokhani wrote:
bb

1. Max daily World Cup points per person per question: i think it would be 130 (10+10+10+100) instead of 120. Or is it that I have misinterpreted something- may be if we get a kudo for posting explanation, we will just get additional 90 points?

2. 30 timers can be taken from previously solved questions in our error log, right? Or should it be only the unsolved ones?

3. Can you please confirm whether 24-hour day reset for taking 30 timers is Noon PST or Midnight PST or 8 am PST? There is a contrast in the post between Noon PST and Midnight PST. Further, as per my experience, reset time for earning reward points is currently 8 am PST, so I guess it would be the same for 30 timer reset. Also, new questions in the competition will be posted at 8 am PST.

4. Can you please elaborate on the point that the timer is setup to track performance on your end in such a way that we need to mark an answer choice between 6 seconds and 6 minutes (both inclusive) and is not specific to the competition? In the past, I have taken more than 6 minutes to solve a question, however, I have received daily timer reward point for the same.

5. Experts, Instructors, Tutors, Moderators, and Administrators are not eligible to earn points (though they can still participate in the competition - their points will not be used): Then what's the point of them being a part of any particular team?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kron0s wrote:

Good question! We won't know until a few days into the competition. Usually whoever has the most points becomes the captain... or whoever you want to vote for :cool:

I can see Bunuel is in the Team Mbappe, and I am part of the team Ronaldo. Not sure where nightblade354 is.... but none of us can actually earn points :angel:
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
kron0s wrote:

Good question! We won't know until a few days into the competition. Usually whoever has the most points becomes the captain... or whoever you want to vote for :cool:

I can see Bunuel is in the Team Mbappe, and I am part of the team Ronaldo. Not sure where nightblade354 is.... but none of us can actually earn points :angel:

I joined and got Team Ronaldo too. bb and nightblade354 teaming up for the first time. Guaranteed win with this duo.

For the record, I am the captain now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:

Kushchokhani wrote:
bb

bb

Onto the mission to win the world cup for my team by properly understanding each and every rule of the game.

Request you to reply my queries. thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
bb wrote:
kron0s wrote:

I joined and got Team Ronaldo too. bb and nightblade354 teaming up for the first time. Guaranteed win with this duo.

nightblade354

Unfortunately, your points won't be counted into team points. So no winning guarantee for your team :shh:
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kushchokhani wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

nightblade354

Unfortunately, your points won't be counted into team points. So no winning guarantee for your team :shh:

Unless he has extrasensory powers to channel the team spirit and motivate the team to participate
This is actually a big key to success of a team since people will get discouraged, frustrated, and will give up at some point during the competition. Keeping team spirit up is a huge driver for success!

Speaking of which, we will be offering Certificates to the Top 10 winners of this competition. I will make them myself and distribute among the winners 😎🥳🤩
Director
Director
Send PM
The moderators who are assigned to specific teams will try to give more and more kudos for their team member's explanations. This is Grey area. Moderators and GC staff should ideally be independent of any team.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Speaking of which, we will be offering Certificates to the Top 10 winners of this competition. I will make them myself and distribute among the winners 😎🥳🤩

You're giving away the good stuff I see 🤩

Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kushchokhani, I'm 3-1 in these events. As bb mentioned, it's all about the ability to motivate your team (like any good coach or CAPTAIN would do).

And to alleviate your concerns, moderators giving points are not participating (even if they have a team name). They are fair and neutral.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for your patience.

1. Answered above.
2. Yes, you can take any timers of any questions
3. I just checked and the 30-timer reset happens at midnight PST so it is within those 24 hours. (Points are calculated and post at noon but the reset happens at midnight) This competition is not related to rewards so there should not be time connection though I can see how one would logically go there but not on the GMAT - that's too far of an inference ;-)
4. You want to be within the 6 mins and 6 seconds so that your attempts count. Again, this has nothing to do with rewards and is a different system/process. It is not really a competition if you are "solving" a question within 6 seconds - that's not reasonable and it is also not reasonable to take more than 6 mins.
5. Anyone can join to participate including Tutors and Moderators to support the competition but they won't accrue points. Why would we keep them out is my question back to you.... anyone can support their team and be a part of the competition but not everyone can earn points for fairness.

Kushchokhani wrote:
bb wrote:

Kushchokhani wrote:
bb

bb

Onto the mission to win the world cup for my team by properly understanding each and every rule of the game.

Request you to reply my queries. thanks.

Originally posted by bb on 05 Jul 2022, 10:22.
Last edited by bb on 06 Jul 2022, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Updated the point reset and counting timeline
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kron0s wrote:
bb wrote:

You're giving away the good stuff I see 🤩

:lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless stuff - it is kind of funny but I was thinking of what could one take away for a longer term and something they could use in their application or other extra-curriculars perhaps if they have nothing else.... :|
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

1. Answered above.
3. I just checked and the 30-timer reset happens at noon PST so it is within those 24 hours. This competition is not related to rewards so there should not be time connection though I can see how one would logically go there but not on the GMAT - that's too far of an inference ;-)
4. You want to be within the 6 mins and 6 seconds so that your attempts count. Again, this has nothing to do with rewards and is a different system/process. It is not really a competition if you are "solving" a question within 6 seconds - that's not reasonable and it is also not reasonable to take more than 6 mins.
5. Anyone can join to participate including Tutors and Moderators to support the competition but they won't accrue points. Why would we keep them out is my question back to you.... anyone can support their team and be a part of the competition but not everyone can earn points for fairness.

My 3rd and 4th queries raised due to the highlighted thing mentioned in attached screenshot. Please rectify those things in the original post if that's not the case as you said above.

Attachments

Screenshot_20220706_075328.JPG
Screenshot_20220706_075328.JPG [ 220.72 KiB | Viewed 27128 times ]

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for posting that. Let me ask the same question again. Sometimes people confuse a.m. with p.m. so let’s see

Kushchokhani wrote:
bb wrote:

1. Answered above.
3. I just checked and the 30-timer reset happens at noon PST so it is within those 24 hours. This competition is not related to rewards so there should not be time connection though I can see how one would logically go there but not on the GMAT - that's too far of an inference ;-)

My 3rd and 4th queries raised due to the highlighted thing mentioned in attached screenshot. Please rectify those things in the original post if that's not the case as you said above.

Fuqua Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Hi bb!

Quick question about bonus 2: is there a time limit within which we need to post an explanation to get the bonus? Or do we have 24 hours to post the explanation?
(For e.g., in bonus 1, the time limit is 120 mins. And I remember there was some sort of time limit for posting the explanations in the Christmas competition as well).
DI Forum Moderator
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 638 [1]
Given Kudos: 1003
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V81 DI82
GMAT 1: 430 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey bb

Under topic Which Team am I on?

I guess the hyperlinks for Team Ronaldo & Team Mbappe have been interchanged, which might create a bit of a confusion so kindly check that out.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8