Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [59]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [15]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
MBA2ran wrote:
Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic susceptibility an individual may have toward any particular disease. Eventually, effective strategies will be discovered to counteract each such susceptibility. Once these effective strategies are found, therefore, the people who follow them will never get sick.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) For every disease there is only one strategy that can prevent its occurrence.

(B) In the future, genetics will be the only medical specialty of any importance.

(C) All human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities

(D) All humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases.

(E) People will follow medical advice when they are convinced that it is effective.

Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic susceptibility an individual may have toward any particular disease.
Eventually, effective strategies will be discovered to counteract each such susceptibility.

Conclusion: the people who follow them will never get sick.

It is a conditional conclusion. If one follows these strategies, one will never get sick.

We are concluding that the individual will NEVER get sick. So we are concluding that ALL sickness has some genetic connect.

(C) All human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities

Correct. Since we are saying that they will never get sick, we are assuming that ALL human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities.
Mudit27021988

Hello VeritasKarishma,

Does the fact that 'all human sicknesses are 'in part' the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities, give rise to a doubt that since human sicknesses are not entirely the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities, the people could still fall sick?

What am I missing? Kindly help resolve :(
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [0]
Send PM
Re: Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic [#permalink]
Expert Reply
saurabh9gupta wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
MBA2ran wrote:
Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic susceptibility an individual may have toward any particular disease. Eventually, effective strategies will be discovered to counteract each such susceptibility. Once these effective strategies are found, therefore, the people who follow them will never get sick.

(A) For every disease there is only one strategy that can prevent its occurrence.

(B) In the future, genetics will be the only medical specialty of any importance.

(E) People will follow medical advice when they are convinced that it is effective.

Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic susceptibility an individual may have toward any particular disease.
Eventually, effective strategies will be discovered to counteract each such susceptibility.

It is a conditional conclusion. If one follows these strategies, one will never get sick.

We are concluding that the individual will NEVER get sick. So we are concluding that ALL sickness has some genetic connect.

No. The argument talks about strategies. There needn't be only one.

The argument doesn't assume it. It might imply this indirectly since "people will never get sick" but it is certainly not an assumption.

Correct. Since we are saying that they will never get sick, we are assuming that ALL human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities.

Not an assumption. All humans needn't get sick. We do not have to assume that all humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases. It is possible that some humans are not genetically susceptible to any diseases. They may not get sick. Out assumption is that all sickness is a result of genetic susceptibilities.

Mudit27021988
Negate (D) - All humans are not genetically susceptible to some diseases.
Conclusion can still hold. Those humans who are not genetically susceptible to some diseases may anyway not get sick. It does not mean that some humans are susceptible to non-genetic diseases. It only means that they are not susceptible to genetic diseases. Why do they have to be susceptible to any diseases?

We don't need to worry about whether people will follow medical advice and when will they follow it. The conclusion is conditional. If they follow, they will not get sick.

Answer (C)

@vertaskarishma - i agree with the OA but in your reasoning you mentioned - "So we are concluding that ALL sickness has some genetic connect."
My question is that how did you conclude that ALL sickness has some genetic connect?

saurabh9gupta

The argument tells that effective strategies will be discovered to counter each genetic susceptibility.

The conclusion says that people who follow will never get sick i.e. will get no disease. This means, for every disease, an effective strategy would be there. We are assuming then that every disease has a genetic component.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
MBA2ran wrote:

No. The argument talks about strategies. There needn't be only one.

The argument doesn't assume it. It might imply this indirectly since "people will never get sick" but it is certainly not an assumption.

Not an assumption. All humans needn't get sick. We do not have to assume that all humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases. It is possible that some humans are not genetically susceptible to any diseases. They may not get sick. Out assumption is that all sickness is a result of genetic susceptibilities.

Mudit27021988
Negate (D) - All humans are not genetically susceptible to some diseases.
Conclusion can still hold. Those humans who are not genetically susceptible to some diseases may anyway not get sick. It does not mean that some humans are susceptible to non-genetic diseases. It only means that they are not susceptible to genetic diseases. Why do they have to be susceptible to any diseases?

We don't need to worry about whether people will follow medical advice and when will they follow it. The conclusion is conditional. If they follow, they will not get sick.

Answer (C)

Quote:
In C they mentioned the word in part. Does it not mean that all diseases are genetic susceptible only to some extent? I understand that they mentioned All diseases, but when in part is used, does that not mean they are other factors as well which are not in our hands to control with the discovered strategies and does that not break the conclusion that people will never get sick?

Yes, (C) means that there is a component of genetic susceptibility in every disease.
Presumably, if that component is taken care of, the disease may not remain viable.

Genetics has some role to play in every disease is enough assumption. If we are concluding that controlling genetics will get rid of ALL disease, we need to assume that genetics has at least some role in all diseases. Only then is it possible that controlling genetics gets rid of all. If genetics has 'no' role in some diseases, then those cannot be eradicated by genetics.

Negate (C): Not all human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities

This means there are some diseases in which genetics plays no role. This breaks our conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
I have doubt in option D

It states that All humans are susceptible to some disease.
If all humans are susceptible to some diseases then all of the humans will have some strategy to follow in next 20 years and the one who follows those strategy will not get sick at all. This statement certainly strengthens the argument.
Negation
1) All humans are not susceptible some genetic disease.
If not all people are susceptible to genetic disease then the ones who are not susceptible stand a chance of getting sick even after following the strategy
2) All humans are susceptible to none of the genetic disease.
If humans are not susceptible to any of the genetic disease then how would the strategy be formed if we don't have any starting point for strategy formation.

Both these negation breaks the conclusion provided by the argument. Hence it is a valid assumption
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos