Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I liked it - good insight - and I am definitely nervous about bringing a relationship to school. My GF will come with me, get a job etc - but I am not sure she understands the time committment involved on my part.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hehe...nice post

I would disagree with 1d, though. I think a guy in his mid-20s going out with a ~20 y/o undergrad is pretty normal.

Maybe it's a cultural thing... :?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whenever a guy in his mid-20's dates a girl who's still an undergrad, I think most people I know consider it pretty sketchy. If I were dating an undergraduate girl, it wouldn't be for the conversation, so when I see a guy dating a younger girl, I always think it's pretty slimy.

Yes, that means that I'm being judgmental, I'm okay with that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm with artshep, I don't think younger MBA students like I will become this fall going out with undergrads is that bad. I'll be 25 when I start and I don't see a problem going out with some upperclassmen undergrads, definitely agree if someone was trying to hit up all the freshmen girls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kdawg8 wrote:
I'm with artshep, I don't think younger MBA students like I will become this fall going out with undergrads is that bad. I'll be 25 when I start and I don't see a problem going out with some upperclassmen undergrads, definitely agree if someone was trying to hit up all the freshmen girls.

Personally I think anyone who is in grad school and dates an underclassman who is > Sophomore - is fine. I really dont see what the big deal is. People mature by the time they are juniors/seniors so whats the problem? Do these same people also think its weird for a 50 year old to be dating a 40 year old?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think it's weird for a 50 and 40 year old to date. But if they had dated when they were 20 and 10 that would have been weird.

I know there are exceptions, but in general the guys that I see that are older and are dating college girls are sort of "shooting fish in a barrel" because they have money since they're working, and usually the girl is just using the guy for his money while they guy uses the girl for a trophy or for the how you say sexy-time.

I know this is a big generalization and there are exceptions, but what I'm getting at is if I show up at school this fall and one of my classmates says, "Hey I'm going on a date with this 20 year old Biology major I met at the cafe," I would jump to the above conclusion right or wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, whether you are right or not is not the issue...

Let's say I'm that classmate on my way to see that 20 yr old bio major. Do you think I'm going to pause for even 1 second to care about what you think? I think there would only be 1 thing on my mind, if you know what I mean 8-)

Call me slimy all you want, but there's no better cure for school related stress than a little bit of sexy time with an energetic 20 yr old who's eager to please :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The point of 1D wasn't to preach whether it's ethical to go after an undergrad, it was that doing so has consequences, perhaps of irreparable harm.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
The point of 1D wasn't to preach whether it's ethical to go after an undergrad, it was that doing so has consequences, perhaps of irreparable harm.

Yeah, I can see the harm in consistently and blatantly preying on the young ones. That could easily create a "slimy" or "sleezy" reputation for you. You might end up looking like 'Quagmire' from Family Guy.

Nevertheless, a serious, healthy relationship between a guy in his mid-20s and a girl in college is nothing abnormal. In fact, I think the age difference is pretty normal.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess I should clarify/revise what I was saying:

I don't think it's unethical, and I don't think people should be that worried about what I think specifically, but they should be worried about the reputation they have among their classmates, because these are supposed to be part of their network for the rest of their careers.

So if Fluffydot is my classmate and I know he's a cool guy and he says, "Hey, I'm going on a date with a 20 year old," I'll be thinking, "Good for you, you lucky b*stard."

But, if there is a classmate that I don't know much about, but I do hear through the grapevine that he goes out to undergrad bars and picks up drunken 20 year olds on a regular basis, then I'm going to think he's like a sketchy Quagmire type.

I think we're all basically on the same page here: Dating someone younger isn't necessarily bad, as long as it isn't a predatory pattern that makes the guy look like a sleazebag.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I guess I should clarify/revise what I was saying:

I don't think it's unethical, and I don't think people should be that worried about what I think specifically, but they should be worried about the reputation they have among their classmates, because these are supposed to be part of their network for the rest of their careers.

So if Fluffydot is my classmate and I know he's a cool guy and he says, "Hey, I'm going on a date with a 20 year old," I'll be thinking, "Good for you, you lucky b*stard."

But, if there is a classmate that I don't know much about, but I do hear through the grapevine that he goes out to undergrad bars and picks up drunken 20 year olds on a regular basis, then I'm going to think he's like a sketchy Quagmire type.

I think we're all basically on the same page here: Dating someone younger isn't necessarily bad, as long as it isn't a predatory pattern that makes the guy look like a sleazebag.

Right on...I think you summed it up pretty well there.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
artshep wrote:
Yeah, I can see the harm in consistently and blatantly preying on the young ones. That could easily create a "slimy" or "sleezy" reputation for you. You might end up looking like 'Quagmire' from Family Guy.

HAHAHAHA Quagmire, he brings creepiness to a new level.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
artshep wrote:

HAHAHAHA Quagmire, he brings creepiness to a new level.

Quagmire: "Hey, Meg, you 18 yet?"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The "shooting fish in a barrel" analogy just made me crack up.

A buddy of mine who recenly graduated from Tuck said that dating undergrads was not frowned upon, but that "making the first move" WAS considered creepy by most.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Both me and my fiancee want to get into the same mba program. Hopefully we can get into the same school so we don't have to deal with this crap
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nice post...

i fall in the worst category possible...international student with spouse on dependant visa and hence not allowed to work.

though my wife is pretty excited about my getting into the b-school (yes...she is more excited than i am), i don't think she realizes the kind of situation she will be getting into :roll:

I will forward this post to her :wink:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
luminos24 wrote:

i fall in the worst category possible...international student with spouse on dependant visa and hence not allowed to work.

though my wife is pretty excited about my getting into the b-school (yes...she is more excited than i am), i don't think she realizes the kind of situation she will be getting into

Even with all the warnings, she may still get extremely bored. I think it's important for your relationship to incorporate her in your social functions with other bschool significant others.

Help your wife and help yourself in the process.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2