Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 720 [20]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618951 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Editorialist: Drivers with a large number of demerit points who additi [#permalink]
Kudos
I would have chosen A as the answer.
Only two options:
i) either reeducation ii) jail

1)reeducation is suitable for drivers who have less number of demerits points.

So those who have large number of demerit points, it is impossible to re-educate them.

So the only option left for such drivers is Jail.
+1 A
Thats my opinion btw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Editorialist: Drivers with a large number of demerit points who additi [#permalink]
Marcab wrote:
I would have chosen A as the answer.
Only two options:
i) either reeducation ii) jail

1)reeducation is suitable for drivers who have less number of demerits points.

So those who have large number of demerit points, it is impossible to re-educate them.

So the only option left for such drivers is Jail.
+1 A
Thats my opinion btw.

Thanks marcab...

But A seems to be restatement....

Drivers with a large number of demerit points who additionally have been convicted of a serious driving-relative offense should either be sentenced to jail or be forced to receive driver reeducation, since to do otherwise would be to allow a crime to go unpunished.

(A) Drivers with a large number of demerit points who have been convicted of a serious driving-related offense should be sent to jail.

Ya i understood B cannot be correct choice,,,
Since statement already says it is impossible for drivers with large demerit for re-education ....

can you brief y on A... ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
The two choices are the restatement.
Consider an example:
Captain Ricky will have to play either against India or against South Africa. He doesn't plays against India.

What can we infer from this?
that he will play against South Africa.

So is "he will play against South Africa" is a restatement?
It is just a profound statement, whereas in the original sentence there was 50% probability that he will play against South Africa.

I hope this example will make you through.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Editorialist: Drivers with a large number of demerit points who additionally have been convicted of a serious driving-related offense should either be sentenced to jail or be forced to receive driver reeducation, since to do otherwise would be to allow a crime to go unpunished. Only if such drivers are likely to be made more responsible drivers should driver re-education be recommended for them. Unfortunately, it is always almost impossible to make drivers with a large number of demerit points more responsible drivers.

If the editorialist’s statements are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?

A. Drivers with a large number of demerit points who have been convicted of a serious driving-related offense should be sent to jail. - CORRECT. Re-education is not possible so only possibility is jail.

B. Driver re-education offers the best chance of making drivers with a large number of demerit points responsible drivers. - WRONG. May not be the best as it is debatable.

C. Driver re-education is not a harsh enough punishment for anyone convicted of a serious driving-related offense who has also accumulated a large number of demerit points. - WRONG. Harsh or not is not the core of the passage.

D. Driver re-education should not be recommended for those who have committed no serious driving-related offenses. - WRONG. This set of people is beyond scope.

E. Drivers with a large number of demerit points but no conviction for a serious driving-related offense should receive driver re-education rather than jail - WRONG. The situation is tweaked that can't be justified in any possibility.

Answer A.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts