Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [198]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31874 [122]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [19]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility.. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
redfield wrote:
Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility that the normal human life span comprises an even number of days.

(A) that the normal human life span comprises an even number of days

(B) that an even number of days may be comprising the normal human life span

(C) of the normal human life span to be comprised of an even number of days

(D) of an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span

(E) of an even number of days to comprise the normal human life span

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest that it is possible that the normal human life span has an even number of days.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.
• The infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + comprise" in this case) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of an action.

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase possibility that the normal human life span comprises", conveying the intended meaning - that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest that it is possible that the normal human life span has an even number of days. Further, Option A correctly uses the simple present tense verb "comprises" to refer to information that is permanent in nature. Additionally, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb "be comprising" to refer to information that is permanent in nature; remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature. Further, Option B redundantly uses the word "may" alongside the word "possibility" and uses the passive voice construction "may be comprising", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "to be comprised"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest that it is possible that the normal human life span has an even number of days.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "possibility of" and "that may comprise"; the construction of these phrases illogically implies that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the existence of an even number of days that comprise the normal human life span; the intended meaning of this sentence is that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest that it is possible that the normal human life span has an even number of days. Further, Option D redundantly uses the word "may" alongside the word "possibility" and uses the passive voice construction "may be comprising", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "possibility of" "to comprise"; the construction of these phrases illogically implies that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the existence of an even number of days for the purpose of comprising the normal human life span; the intended meaning of this sentence is that human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest that it is possible that the normal human life span has an even number of days; remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + comprise" in this case) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of an action.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [11]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility.. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I opted for correct option, but can you please check my approach.

The meaning of the sentence suggest that the natural deaths suggest the possibility that... Blah Blah Blah...!!

1) This sentence states the STATISTICS suggest something. So, there should not be any DOUBT in it.
Therefore, the usage of CONDITIONAL word like MAY can be eliminated.
This eliminates B and D.
2) E shows intention TO COMPRISE but there is no intention. This eliminates Option E.

1) A uses---> comprises ( uses present tense to stte a fact which is correct)
2) C uses--> to be comprised (which is PAST tense)

To state a general phenomena we use present tense. This eliminates option C
Hence A is correct.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31874 [7]
Send PM
Re: Human mortality statistics on natural deaths suggest the possibility.. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I opted for correct option, but can you please check my approach.

The meaning of the sentence suggest that the natural deaths suggest the possibility that... Blah Blah Blah...!!

1) This sentence states the STATISTICS suggest something. So, there should not be any DOUBT in it.
Therefore, the usage of CONDITIONAL word like MAY can be eliminated.
This eliminates B and D.
2) E shows intention TO COMPRISE but there is no intention. This eliminates Option E.

1) A uses---> comprises ( uses present tense to stte a fact which is correct)
2) C uses--> to be comprised (which is PAST tense)

To state a general phenomena we use present tense. This eliminates option C
Hence A is correct.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi,

the points you have worked on are generally correct..

But the reason for eliminating choices containing MAY should be the use of possiblity and not 'statistics'......
the stats if used to talk of result of a future event is a possiblity and not a sure shot confirmation..

example -
India has won all matches against Pakistan at Eden gardens as per the stats. So India may win this time too....
Or I can write " It is a possiblity that India will win this match as per the statistics available..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bookmarks
chetan2u
Thanks for your response.

Yes, tour are correct. elimination of "May" should be because of "possibility".
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [5]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I have reached to the final answer A just by looking for the right meaning from the 5 answer options.

While, option A and C, says, normal human life span comprises an even number of days, the remaining choices options B, D and E, says, an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span.

According to me the meaning that is extracted from the options B, D and E is not appropriate, as, it should be, human life comprises an even number of days and not the vice versa.

Down to options A and C, suggest + 'that' is only present in option A. So, I picked option A.

Is my reasoning correct? Any suggestions?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31874 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vnigam21 wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I have reached to the final answer A just by looking for the right meaning from the 5 answer options.

While, option A and C, says, normal human life span comprises an even number of days, the remaining choices options B, D and E, says, an even number of days that may comprise the normal human life span.

According to me the meaning that is extracted from the options B, D and E is not appropriate, as, it should be, human life comprises an even number of days and not the vice versa.

Down to options A and C, suggest + 'that' is only present in option A. So, I picked option A.

Is my reasoning correct? Any suggestions?

Hi,

Not in all choices the meaning may be different ..
there could be voice difference - active or passive ..

Most of the Qs are based on grammatical sense, which should not have some illogical meaning...
At times the ORIGINAl meaning may be very awkward and then, we have to look for the best possible choice available..

So whenever you are doing these SC ..
1) see Grammatically what all is correct..
2) If there are more than one correct grammatically, look for meaning issue....
If the original meaning is logical, choose the answer which follows the original meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi all,

I got this question in mock and marked "D", here are my reasons

in this sentence word used was "suggest", I got this question is about subjunctive and must follow the structure:

Suggest + That + "pural verb"

This was followed only in D and E

In E, because of word "To", I rejected this option.

Can anyone tell me why I got this one wrong :-(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos