Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Pronounsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Skywalker18,
I'm not sure that I understand your question. AjiteshArun is totally correct in saying that our situation here is a relative clause. When a relative clause refers to the OBJECT of the previous clause, "that" is optional.

Example 1:
I can't find the shoes that I like.
-> relative clause is "that I like." "I" is the subject of the relative clause, and the shoes (represented also by "that") are the object. So we could also correctly write:
I can't find the shoes I like.

Example 2:
I can't find the shoes that are comfortable.
-> relative clause is "that are comfortable." Here, the shoes are the SUBJECT of the relative clause. So, I cannot leave out "that".

(See for yourself: I can't find the shoes are comfortable??? What?? It's not understandable.)

I can't think of a situation where "that" could join two independent clauses, since "that" would typically make the second clause dependent. But let me know if you have an example.

sonusaini1

You asked whether answer C could be a good option if we removed the redundancy.
Well, it would be better than it currently is. But compare it again to our winning answer E.
What's different?

C is wordier because it is passive (sales that in the past would have been conceded to rivals). Meanwhile, E is active (sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.)

When everything else is equal, prefer the active to the passive. Usually, it makes the sentence shorter and more direct.

Best, Jenn
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in [#permalink]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded to rivals.

(A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals -> "They" is incorrect. "the company" requires singular pronoun to refer. Incorrect.
(B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals -> Same as A. Incorrect.
(C) that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals -> In the past... and previously are redundant. Incorrect.
(D) it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past -> Same as C. Incorrect.
(E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals -> This is the option left.

So, I think E. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in [#permalink]
Hi Reed / Avi - i am struggling to understand how come "that" can be dropped in this question - I chose C depsite the redudundancy.

In the Manhattan SC guide, the following sentnence is marked wrong

Wrong : I know Meryl streep is an actor
Right : I know THAT Meryl streep is an actor

(Attached below the images from Page 46, SC guide)

How come in the Meryl streep case, "THAT" is needed but in the original question "THAT" can be dropped.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 25 Mar 2022, 07:15.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 25 Mar 2022, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in [#permalink]
Attached are the pics in the manhattan guide
Attachments

image 1.JPG
image 1.JPG [ 98.05 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]

image 2.JPG
image 2.JPG [ 74.44 KiB | Viewed 1540 times ]

image 4.JPG
image 4.JPG [ 46.33 KiB | Viewed 1506 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
jabhatta2

I don't know if your query is resolved our not. But I thought I could add two cents.

The example you are quoting from Manhattan SC is talking about essential information.

The first example mentions that
The teacher is confident that her students mastered the lesson. The information after "that" is essential here. Furthermore, that is functioning as a conjunction joining two clauses. Without the "that" the sentence would read "The teacher is confident her students mastered the lesson". We have two independent clauses joined here without anything. This is a big no-no on GMAT. Hence, the usage of "that" is essential here.
The same can be applied to the Meryl Strep example.

I would request BrightOutlookJenn to comment/ critique my analysis.

Now coming to this question. Ellipsis is at play here. A "that" is understood to be repeated.
You could read AjiteshArun's post here for clarity. https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-its-sales-of-computer-products-have-surpassed-those-of-measuring-in-22712.html#p1823797

BrightOutlookJenn

If we remove previously from option C. Isn't it still unclear who in the past conceded to the rivals. Apart from the wordy and passive construction.
Please share your two cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
sandalphon wrote:
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded to rivals.

(A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals
(B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals
(C) that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals
(D) it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past
(E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals

My various considerations-
1. 'company' is singular due to use of 'it'. So, A.B are rejected.
2. C is too wordy as it uses 'in the past' and 'previously' to bring across the same point.
3. D has same issue as C. Also makes us think that the company would have conceded to the 'rivals in the past' meaning the rivals who existed in the past but do not exist now. Gives wrong meaning to sentence as it clearly does not comment on rivals' timelines.
4. E- Less wordy, 'it' usage. CORRECT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
previously … in the past is unnecessary repetition. Therefore, D and C are out

The company (antecedent) … market sales THAT (not explicit, because sales are the object, whereas the company is the subject of this sentence) IT (pronoun referring to the company) would… --> E is the winner
A and B also have issues with meaning as the pronoun THEY do not have a proper antecedent to refer to that makes sense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
sandalphon wrote:

KarishmaB GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep ChrisLele

Kindly explain why in E, "it ... have" is correct?? I thought subject verb agreement would mean "it...has"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Dear desertEagle,
if the verb follows by "modal verb", auxiliary verb, we have to employ only base form of verb.
- She will have a ravishing flight tomorrow
- She would never denies your offer.

Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
desertEagle wrote:
sandalphon wrote:

KarishmaB GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep ChrisLele

Kindly explain why in E, "it ... have" is correct?? I thought subject verb agreement would mean "it...has"

When we use modal verbs, the action verb appears in base form.

He likes pineapples.
They like pineapples.

but

He may like pineapples.
They may like pineapples.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sandalphon wrote:

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the company" with the plural pronoun "they".

B:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the company" with the plural pronouns "they" and "their".

C: Trap.
1/ This answer choice redundantly uses "in the past" alongside "previously", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy; this usage is redundant, as both terms convey the same meaning.

D: Trap.
1/ This answer choice redundantly uses "in the past" alongside "previously", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy; this usage is redundant, as both terms convey the same meaning.

E: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "the company" with the singular pronoun "it".
2/ Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Is ''Would have conceded '' the correct usage ??? If yes, then how?

Why can't we use ''would concede'' instead ?

T thought that ''would have verb '' can be used in past perfect tense clause.

Please help me with this.. !
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RuchitaB

"Would have" is used to create a past hypothetical. You are describing not an action that you HAVE actually taken, but an action that you WOULD HAVE taken had circumstances been different.

"If I had been there, I would have helped you." (I wasn't there, but if I HAD been, then I would have helped.)
"I would have liked this movie when I was a kid." (I didn't see the movie as a kid, but if I could have, I would have liked it.)

In this case, we're talking about CURRENT sales that, had they turned up in the past, the company would have chosen to concede. We can't say "would concede," because the company didn't actually concede these specific sales ("In the past, we would concede sales quite often"), nor are we talking about a future hypothetical ("If I hwere busier, I would concede some of these sales."). The sales are new and current! For similar reasons, I can't say "would help" or "would like" in the examples above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep GMATGuruNY IanStewart GMATNinja AjiteshArun DmitryFarber KarishmaB
In the above question in correct option how to independent clauses are not connected properly
the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass
market sales they would in the past have conceded
to rivals.

also would have + verb construction used for hypothetical scenerio.when this construction is correct without conditional statements
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep GMATGuruNY IanStewart GMATNinja AjiteshArun DmitryFarber KarishmaB
In the above question in correct option how to independent clauses are not connected properly
the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass
market sales they would in the past have conceded
to rivals.

also would have + verb construction used for hypothetical scenerio.when this construction is correct without conditional statements

Hi saby1410,

That is understood to be there.
1. ... the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales {that} it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

The second clause is a dependent clause that refers to the noun the mass market sales.

2. ... the company has become increasingly willing to compete for [the mass market sales that it would in the past have conceded to rivals].

Although we can use would in a conditional statement, there are many other ways to use would. Have a look at this dictionary entry.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts