Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [3]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, could you please advise what approach should be followed to eliminate E under time constraint?

I'd like to point out that I got this one wrong while taking a practice exam--and again while taking a repeat practice exam!

So this is a great opportunity to remind everyone that you should NOT go into the test room expecting to feel 100% comfortable with every question you see. Learning to let go without getting flustered is often half the battle :).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, could you please advise what approach should be followed to eliminate E under time constraint?

First, take another look at (C):

Quote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as in its return of 1910-1911.

We can argue about what's happening here: are we comparing the prepositional phrases themselves, or using those phrases to compare what happened in one time period to what happened in another? I don't think it really matters: either way, the comparison makes perfect sense, right?

Now go back to (E):

Quote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as its return in 1910-1911.

Now, we get the noun phrase "its return" after the comparison trigger, "as." Now the comparison is at best more confusing. It doesn't seem quite right to compare a prepositional phrase to a noun phrase. And it doesn't seem quite right to compare what happened in one time period to the return itself.

In a side-by-side comparison, (C) is the clearer, more logical comparison. So even if you can't find a definite error in (E), you've got enough evidence to pick (C) here.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This is a difficult question, so let's dive in! First, take a quick look at the question and highlight any of the major differences between the options in orange, so we can focus on those later:

In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(A) did its return in 1910-1911
(B) had its 1910-1911 return
(C) in its return of 1910-1911
(D) its return of 1910-1911 did
(E) its return in 1910-1911

Since this is such a short sentence with such short options, let's just focus on the type of question this is: COMPARISON!

Whenever we see comparisons like this, an easy trick to try is to reword it with the two items compared sitting next to each other:

Original Sentence: In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.
Reworded Sentence: Halley's comet caused such a worldwide sensation in no other historical sighting as did its return in 1910-1911.

No matter how you word this sentence, it's clear that the two items being compared are the original sighting of Halley's comet and its return in 1910-1911. When looking at each sentence, let's make sure that the two items are parallel:

(A) In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.
(B) In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as had its 1910-1911 return.
(C) In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as in its return of 1910-1911.
(D) In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as its return of 1910-1911 did.
(E) In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as its return in 1910-1911.

Well that was quick - the only sentence that compared two parallel items is option C! Whenever you see a comparison question on the GMAT, parallelism is a great place to start. Parallelism is the most common problem with comparison questions, even if the sentence is long-winded or complicated!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Wow. This was so helpful! Thank you !
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Hi experts,

Does such.. as not always follow by noun?

I love to eat such Japanese food as Sushi, Sashimi and etc.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Hi experts,

Yes, there should be a noun after "such"—but that noun can have adjectives and/or modifiers attached to it. In this sentence, the noun following "such" is sensation, which has the adjective worldwide attached to it.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Hi experts,

Yes, there should be a noun after "such"—but that noun can have adjectives and/or modifiers attached to it. In this sentence, the noun following "such" is sensation, which has the adjective worldwide attached to it.

RonTargetTestPrep Thank you for your response, but I am still confused.

The list of examples should be after "(such) as" ? I have never seen a sentence like this : I love to eat Japanese food such Sushi, Sashimi and Udon as in Japanese Restaurant.

All I want to say is that why the key of this question is to try to parallel "In no other historical sighting" with "in its return". I understand that we have to be literal and select the most appropriate choice that conveys the right meaning. However, it is still grammatically correct. If noun needs to follow "such..as", why is (E) incorrect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Hi experts,

Hi Tanchat,

To add to the response you've already received:

1. Noun(s) [{example} or {similar entity}] after as
1a. {group} such as {example}, {example}, {example}...: "exams such as the GMAT and the GRE"
1b. such {group} as {example}, {example}, {example}...: "such exams as the GMAT and the GRE"

2. Clause after as
2a. a question such as I've never seen before
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sorry, still not much convinced in Haley’s comet question.

The star shone brighter in 1901 than did in 2001.

Use of did seems correct.

Hope my comparison is right 🙂

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Not sure if anyone else thought of it this way, but I think the answer becomes clear if you rewrite the original sentence like this: “In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as IT DID IN its return in 1910-1911”.

IT = the comet, DID = caused

Now when you remove the IN, it sounds very wrong. So the IN is compulsory…

Right?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
stm579 wrote:
Not sure if anyone else thought of it this way, but I think the answer becomes clear if you rewrite the original sentence like this: “In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as IT DID IN its return in 1910-1911”.

IT = the comet, DID = caused

Now when you remove the IN, it sounds very wrong. So the IN is compulsory…

Right?

Not very sure if ‘it’ is required.
Use of ‘in’ is correct.
Seems like no answer choice is correct.

Originally posted by boilingblood on 29 Aug 2022, 09:40.
Last edited by boilingblood on 01 Sep 2022, 00:04, edited 3 times in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stm579 boilingblood

Exactly! We're comparing different times when the comet caused different levels of sensation, so we need the IN to make that comparison make sense. Adding those implied words back in certainly makes the intended meaning easier to see!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
analogy of SC question.

The key is to understand what is being compared.

You are not comparing "hailey comet" to "return of haileys comet"

In fact, you are comparing "historical sighting" to other "Historical sightings"

The moment you figure that out, (A), (b), (D) and (E) are out in one go.

example

Quote:

Wrestle-mania 3 – triple h’s debut
wrestle-mania 5 - triple h gets injured
Wrestle-mania 7 – return from injury 1
wrestlemania 8 - injury 2
Wrestle-mania 10 – return from injury 2
wrestle-mania 13 - injury 3
Wrestle-mania 15 – return from injury 3

In no other wrestle-mania did Triple H’s return cause such a POP as _____________

(a) did his return in wrestle-mania 10
(b) had his wrestle-mania return
(c) in wrestle mania 10
(d) his return of wrestle-mania 10 did
(e) his return in wrestle-mania 10.

you are not comparing Triple H’s return to his return in wrestlemania 7/ return in wrestlemania 10 / return in wrestlemania 15

hence (A), (B), (d) and (e) are out

(c) is the only one that compares "in no other wrestle-mania" to "wrestemania 10"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
stm579 boilingblood

Exactly! We're comparing different times when the comet caused different levels of sensation, so we need the IN to make that comparison make sense. Adding those implied words back in certainly makes the intended meaning easier to see!

Hi DmitryFarber - if i understand, you are saying in (C) -- "IT DID" is implied.

IT = Hailey's comet
DID = Caused

If that is the case - then, i dont see any difference in the structure of (A), (c) AND (D) because all 3 answer choices have "IT DID" (implicitly or explicitly)

In (A) and (D) - the "IT DID" is explicit.

vs

(C) has "IT DID" which is implicit / implied / hidden

Then i dont see any difference between (A), (C) and (D) - except just re-arrangement.

In the case of (a) - arrangement is verb first followed by subject
in the case of (D) - arrangement is subject followed by verb
in case of (c) - arrangement is "it did" is just hidden

If i tried to create a simple analogy
Quote:

(a analogy) On no other day does my mom cook such great meals as does she on my birthday
(c analogy) On no other day does my mom cook such great meals as (she does) on my birthday
(d analogy) On no other day does my mom cook such great meals as she on my birthday does

To me, all 3 answer choices indicate the same thing. I dont see where the comparison error is in (A-analogy) and/or (C-analogy)

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATNinja KarishmaB @rmartytargettestprep avigutman 9. How do we choose between meanings ?

haileys comet caused sensation in no other sighting than in its return of 1910

Vs

Haileys comet caused sensation in no other sighting than its return caused in 1910

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
mymba99 wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(C) in its return of 1910-1911

Lets bring Obama into the picture instead of Hally, the comet for a moment :-D

Rephrase with C - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as (he did) in his presidential race of 2008. (We can omit 'he did' and still convey the same meaning)
Sensation caused by Obama in all the previous elections is compared with sensation caused by Obama in presidential race.)
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as (it did) in its return of 1910-1911

Rephrase with A - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as did his presidential race of 2008. ( Incorrect comparison. Sensation caused by Obama in all the previous elections is compared incorrectly with sensation caused by presidential election. But we should compare sensations caused by Obama in both the cases.)
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as (did its return in 1910-1911)

B - no need to discuss. Had is not necessary. Changes the meaning.

Rephrase with D - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as his presidential race of 2008 did. (again sensation by Obama is compared with sensation caused by presidential election. Same problem as A.
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as (its return of 1910-1911 did )

Rephrase with E - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as his presidential race of 2008. ( Here sentence ends abruptly. Here sensation caused by Obama is compared with presidential race itself.
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as its return in 1910-1911

Ofcourse we all can come up with explanations once we know OA. :wink:
Nice One. +1 to the poster.

Great little question likely to upset people but not hard at all.

In case of comparisons, we can follow ‘as’ with prepositional phrases when the comparison is quite clear.

For example:
As for adults, for many children too, short attention span is a problem.
The comparison is between ‘adults’ and ‘many children.’

Then what are we comparing in our original question? 'that one particular sighting' with 'the many sightings.'
The non-underlined part has the many sightings in a prepositional phrase.

Consider the non-underlined part:
In no other historical sighting did the comet cause such a sensation as …

If we were to complete this sentence as clearly and properly as possible, we would write:

In no other historical sighting did the comet cause such a sensation as it did in its return of 1910-1911.

We will follow ‘as’ with a clause. But when the comparison is clear, we can follow ‘as’ with just the prepositional phrase:
In no other historical sighting did the comet cause such a sensation as in its return of 1910-1911.

This we know is correct and this is given in option (C). Hence, option (C) is certainly correct. Now let’s focus on why other options are not as good.

This would make sense if the sentence were: No other sighting of Halley’s comet caused such a sensation as did its return in 1910-1911
‘did’ would stand for ‘caused’ here. ‘No other sighting’ is compared with ‘its return in 1910-1911’
But this is not what we have and hence this option is not correct.

We know that we replace verbs with do/did, not had. Hence, this is not correct.

Same problem as in option (A). The only difference is that here, ‘did’ is placed later rather than before. It doesn’t materially change the sentence though we usually prefer to put ‘did’ before.

The preposition ‘in’ is missing. Since it is there in the non-underlined part, we need it for parallelism.

Answer (C)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
to simplify this question, let me break it into two parts.
Hailey's comet did cause such a worldwide destruction " In no other historical sighting" AS " IN ............."
only option C looks parallel
AjiteshArun wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Hi experts,

Hi Tanchat,

To add to the response you've already received:

1. Noun(s) [{example} or {similar entity}] after as
1a. {group} such as {example}, {example}, {example}...: "exams such as the GMAT and the GRE"
1b. such {group} as {example}, {example}, {example}...: "such exams as the GMAT and the GRE"

2. Clause after as
2a. a question such as I've never seen before

In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as in its return of 1910-1911
So, we got ''worldwide sensation'' as a group like 1b, but where to get 'example' of that group in 1b? Thanks__
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts