Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Re: Certain similarities between prehistoric art and the art of [#permalink]
D for me......I'm assuming art involves painting here :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
I would go for B...

Difficulty level of the art of childrens (present) is assumed to be the same of as that of prehistoric art(past).

Vivek.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Well I have some supporters here. I will go with B on this one.

D talks about just paiting. We dont know if the prehistoric humans knew painting. They might know something other than paiting and still do something that children today do.
Well recently I have been getting quite a few CRs wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Correct me if I'm way off base here. I will make a couple assumtions about this question. First, I'm assuming this is an LSAT question. Second, I'm assuming it would be considered a "hard" question. Given that, I think there are trick answers designed to lure in the unsuspecting.

B talks about easy. The assumption is that what a child does is easy and therefore is like what the caveman did. I think this is too broad an assumption or outside the scope of the argument.

D, as stated before, talks about painting only and is therefore too narrow in scope.

Both these seem like they could be correct, but I think A is the assumption that bridges the gap in reasoning.

The reasoning is assuming that prehistoric art is not sophisticated and is therefore like a childs art. But, if the caveman thought the art was very sophisticated and worked very hard to produce the simplistic art, it would not be like a childs art at all.

So, what is sophisticated today is assumed to be what was sophisticated back in caveman days.....

I choose A.

Am I whacked???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Send PM
Yeah,

Is it of the type...
If p then q....
IF NOT Q, then NOT P....

So NOT EASY (sophisticated), SO is for today...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Paul wrote:
Certain similarities between prehistoric art and the art of children has led some people to the mistaken conclusion that either early humans had the mentality of children or that they were as unskilled as children. These conclusions assume which of the following?
A) Art that is considered sophisticated today must always have been considered sophisticated
B) What is easy for humans today must always have been easy
C) The significance of art is consistent over time
D) Prehistoric humans painted in the same way that children now paint
E) Modern humans have learned from prehistoric man

Wow, IMO this question is deadly! Ok, here's my thought, to find assumption we need to take into consideraion two parts. First, because of similarities between prehistoric art and the art of children we'll say that they (pre-hist) had mentality of children or they were as unskilled as children. I don't believe any of the choices offer an assumption supporting both statements.

A) Possibly-unless find one better

B) What was easy, Too general for me (although I like it)

C) oh oh, close here. Let's say the significance is not important. That for example pre-historic men only did it for specific purposes, or better yet were too busy hunting and so on, and only children were doodling. Hmm, keep for now

D) As Anandnk said, too limited, what about scultures, or building whatever, we can't assume that art is limited to painting.

E) HUH? Don't see that assumption anywhere, a little to farfetched.

Ok, so A vs C, In A sophisticated makes me cringe, dont think its about sophistication. So, C is it for me. Definitely > 2min :writer
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
lvb9th wrote:
Paul wrote:
Certain similarities between prehistoric art and the art of children has led some people to the mistaken conclusion that either early humans had the mentality of children or that they were as unskilled as children. These conclusions assume which of the following?
A) Art that is considered sophisticated today must always have been considered sophisticated
B) What is easy for humans today must always have been easy
C) The significance of art is consistent over time
D) Prehistoric humans painted in the same way that children now paint
E) Modern humans have learned from prehistoric man

Wow, IMO this question is deadly! Ok, here's my thought, to find assumption we need to take into consideraion two parts. First, because of similarities between prehistoric art and the art of children we'll say that they (pre-hist) had mentality of children or they were as unskilled as children. I don't believe any of the choices offer an assumption supporting both statements.

A) Possibly-unless find one better

B) What was easy, Too general for me (although I like it)

C) oh oh, close here. Let's say the significance is not important. That for example pre-historic men only did it for specific purposes, or better yet were too busy hunting and so on, and only children were doodling. Hmm, keep for now

D) As Anandnk said, too limited, what about scultures, or building whatever, we can't assume that art is limited to painting.

E) HUH? Don't see that assumption anywhere, a little to farfetched.

Ok, so A vs C, In A sophisticated makes me cringe, dont think its about sophistication. So, C is it for me. Definitely > 2min :writer

OA is C!!! lvb9th, you take home the first prize :woohoo
This is indeed another LSAT problem AND a very hard one. Once again, bravo everyone for your input :circle
Director
Director
Send PM
I cannot some to terms with C at all. Why is there the word significance

C would be correct in my opinion if it were worded as "perception of art as a skilled mature from of expression is consistent over time"
Basically saying that the definition of art has not changed over time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
anandnk wrote:
I cannot some to terms with C at all. Why is there the word significance

C would be correct in my opinion if it were worded as "perception of art as a skilled mature from of expression is consistent over time"
Basically saying that the definition of art has not changed over time.

Anandnk,

I see your point and agree that it could be phrased better, but its always just the best of the worst! :) B is incorrect and much weaker than C b/c there is no assumption about what was easy or not. Nowhere do you see a reference to art being easy now or back then. On top of which, the sentence makes too much of a generalization. In fact, we are comparing children's art, basically saying that its not really art, art is much more difficult-MENTALITY of children and unskilled. Most importantly, it is highly improbable that the author will agree with the begining of B. That's why B doesnt fit. I no longer look for the absolute answer!
Director
Director
Send PM
Well the argument uses the word "unskilled" I pretty much assumed that whatever unskilled is easy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I would have gone with A here as well. I liked the sophistication better than significance

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts