Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Mock test scores decreasing [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mandy001,

The variations in these Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores are not as big as you might think - and they are likely due to a mix of lucky/unlucky guesses and little mistakes (that you either made or did not make on individual sections of each Test). There are clearly ways to improve, but you will likely have to make some fundamental changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam before you will be able to consistently score at a higher level.

We last discussed your studies approximately 4 weeks ago. At that time, you noted that your initial CAT Score was a 640/Q50/V26 (which does not appear in your list of Scores) and that your next score was the 680/Q50/V31. To properly assess your situation, it would help to know a bit more about the specifics of how you have been studying over the last 4 weeks.

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you been using? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Is your overall goal score still 750?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Hi,

The reason for not including those scores was that they were GMAT official mocks while these 4 are from Expert's global. To answer your questions

1) How many hours do you typically study each week? I study approx. 20 hours each week which I will be increasing starting this week
2) What study materials have you been using? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used? I have used Expert's global mock and course
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? I take one mock every week on Saturday and most recent one was yesterday
4) Is your overall goal score still 750? Ideally I want more than 740, so yes, 750 is still my goal
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
700 (Q50, V34)
680 (Q50, V31)
670 (Q49, V32)
650 (Q47, V32)

Yes, my quant is decreasing, but my verbal is also not increasing at all. I am able to understand the reason for this. It would be great if you could give me some tips as to how to work on this. Any input is really appreciated.

If you've been focusing heavily on Verbal prep and neglecting your Quant, it may partly explain the decreasing Quant performance. For Verbal, here's someone who improved their V31 to a V40 on a retake in about 30 days. They took a bit of tutoring but mention a variety of resources.

Yes, I have been focusing more on verbal and have been making quite a few silly mistakes in quants. Thanks for the link, it was really helpful
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mandy001,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mandy001,

When reviewing these practice exams can you point to careless errors as a reason why your quant score has been decreasing?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Mandy001,

When reviewing these practice exams can you point to careless errors as a reason why your quant score has been decreasing?

For the quant score, I am able to pinpoint that I have been making silly mistakes most of the time. My issue is that my verbal score is not improving as such.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mandy001 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Mandy001,

For the quant score, I am able to pinpoint that I have been making silly mistakes most of the time. My issue is that my verbal score is not improving as such.

Regarding quant, here is a great article you can check out:

Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mandy001 wrote:
The reason for not including those scores was that they were GMAT official mocks while these 4 are from Expert's global. To answer your questions

You really shouldn't read anything into the scores you get from prep company tests. No prep company test is using the real scoring algorithm, and prep company questions, especially in Verbal, are often of very poor quality, so it's not clear even what they're measuring. It's also really unlikely that you're getting worse after doing more practice, which is another reason to discount these test results.

The only reliable test scores are the ones from official tests, and your two official test scores suggest you're at a Q50 level, and that you've been making progress in Verbal. I wouldn't suggest taking another official test until you feel you've made some significant Verbal gains, because you don't want to use up all of the official tests too soon, and there's no reason to assess yourself every week when the only good assessment tools (the official tests) are in short supply. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot