Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some philosophers of science claim that no serious scientific theory [#permalink]
Agree with A. We can still retain the theory by not considering the experimental observations - IF the experiment has a conflict with some theory or set of beliefs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some philosophers of science claim that no serious scientific theory [#permalink]
first of all, ps_dahiya, that is pretty nasty...and wrong...ahhahaaa

from the passage, I am understanding it as scientific theory can not be tested without some other scientific belief (may be some foundation of science,..ie gravety, atoms...) and that we are not able to interpret them correctly if some of the foundations are not applied.

A. for me, A is restating the passage in a shorter way. Will hold on to it and see if there is something better.

B. irrelevant? passage states that they are relevant...

C and D are comparing "Experimental evidence, testing of scientific theory, and initial formulation"

E. Passage does not talk the "best," more like "no serious scientific theory "

Final answer A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
I picked C :oops:

OA is A

dahiya, acfuture nice job!!! i really thought this one was tough especially with time constraint

OE:
Choice A is the conclusion which follows most directly from the philosophical thesis. If an experimental result is in conflict with some theory or set of beliefs, by discarding those experimental observations, we can retain the theory.
Choices B,C, D, are incorrect, because the passage does not address the issue of the relevance of experimentation.
Choice E may be true, but does not follow from the argument presented in the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [0]
Send PM
durgesh79 wrote:
Some philosophers of science claim that no serious scientific theory can be tested experimentally without taking for granted some other body of scientific beliefs, for we cannot interpret any experimental results without relying on such beliefs. If this is true, then which of the following conclusions seems most likely?

A) Any particular scientific theory can be consistently retained, even in the face of apparently incompatible evidence, if we are willing to give up certain other scientific beliefs.

B) Experimental evidence is really irrelevant to scientific theorizing.

C) Experimental evidence is more relevant to the testing of scientific theories than to their initial formulation.

D) Experimental evidence is more relevant to the initial formulation of scientific theories than to their testing.

E) The best scientific theories are those which are formulated in such a way as to be subject to conclusive experimental refutation.

Author is trying to prove: Relying on beliefs, scientist can test experimentally any theories. Without beliefs, there is no theory can be tested experimentally.

B,C,D are comparing experimental evidence, IRRELEVANT.
E say: The best theories: We dont care which theory is the best.

A says: We can retain a theory even there is evidence encountering it if we has belief (eliminate other beliefs).

A is best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
skbjunior wrote:
Some philosophers of science claim that no serious scientific theory can be tested experimentally without taking for granted some other body of scientific beliefs for we can not interpret any experimental results without replying on such beliefs.

If this is true, then which of the following conclusions seems most likely?

A. Any particular scientific theory can be consistently retained, even in the face of apparently incompatible evidence, if we are willing to give up certain other scientific beliefs.
B. Experimental evidence is really irrelevant to scientific theorizing.
C. Experimental evidence is more relevant to the testing of scientific theories than to their initial formulations.
D. Experimental evidence is more relevant to the initial formulations of scientific theories than to their testing.
E. The best scientific theories are those which are formulated in such a way as to be subject to conclusive experimental refutation.

Please provide explanation for your answer choice. I will upload OA soon. Thank you!

According to me its A

author is saying that in order to prove some serious scientific theory one has to ignore or take granted the other body of scientific belief.

B,C,D tells us only about the experiment and thus irrelevant.
E tells us about the best theories thus irrelevant.

A says: a theory, which does not have enough evidences, can be retained, only if we give up some other beliefs.... thats exactly what stimulus tells us

Hence A is the answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Some philosophers of science claim that no serious scientific theory [#permalink]
anuramm wrote:
Some philosophers of science claim that no serious scientific theory can be tested experimentally without taking for granted some other body of scientific beliefs, for we cannot interpret any experimental results without relying on such beliefs.

If this is true, then which of the following conclusions seems most likely?

A) Any particular scientific theory can be consistently retained, even in the face of apparently incompatible evidence, if we are willing to give up certain other scientific beliefs.

This is possible since then some experiments can be made relevant by procuring experimental data from other theories that are not tested out
Therefore let us hang on to it

anuramm wrote:
B) Experimental evidence is really irrelevant to scientific theorizing.

This is a oversimplification that has to be avoided and uses strong language that Gmat doesn't encourage

anuramm wrote:
C) Experimental evidence is more relevant to the testing of scientific theories than to their initial formulation.

This is also a implication that is cannot be decided with the fiven premise of the argument

anuramm wrote:
D) Experimental evidence is more relevant to the initial formulation of scientific theories than to their testing..

Similar reasoning as C

anuramm wrote:
E) The best scientific theories are those which are formulated in such a way as to be subject to conclusive experimental refutation.

it never stated the same the term 'best' was never quoted in the argument and is completely subjective hence we are leaving the same out

Therefore IMO A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts