Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
Schools: ISB '23
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Re: My disastrous gmat journey [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hi. Sorry about the verbal score. I would say even though there are always a lot of disclaimers about practice test scores versus real test results including seeing repeat questions and unrealistic testing conditions, it seems all of your tests were fairly consistent across many providers (though it seems GMAT Club test were extremely generous for your verbal score).

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that unless you did something really wrong on your practice test such as looking up answers, it looks like a case of a test that had gone wrong for some reason. Over the years I’ve seen people who would take a two week break and retake the test and get a sometimes meaningfully higher score without doing any studying. I don’t have a great explanation for it except it was a bad test day I guess.

One other thing to point out, if your target is 700, and most of your practice tests are 50 points away, I think it’s a little ambitious to assume you could outperform your practice results on the test day. I can see doing this if you’re 10 points away and you just can’t see a way to improve your score and you’ve put in a ton of effort …

Another interesting observation, I’m not sure what you have been studying or doing but your trend line for score improvement is fairly flat. Looking at your scores from April all the way through July and August, I don’t really see any improvement. Have you noticed that? Have you done anything about that? What have you tried to change?

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks a lot for sparing ur valuable time for my post.

Acrually, if we do not consider ExpertsGlobal mock test, my first verbal score in GmatClub mock was 15 and during my last ohase of my preparation avg score was around 26-27. So, we can say that there was an improvement but not on my expected line.

I also wd like to add that during my preparation i must devote 200+ hours while solving 2000+ wuestions (including questions in mocks).

Now, i want ur opinion that after all of the above efforts, is there any possibility to get verbal 35+ in next 2 months and if there is then how?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi yogesh122,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Since your 'mentor' was giving you GMAT-related advice, what is his/her expertise (or experience) with the GMAT?
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Thanks a lot for sparing ur valuable time for my post.

I would like to share some information for more insights:

1. During my preparation i have devoted 200+ hours (20+ hours per week) while solving 2000+ questions (including questions in mocks).

2. Actually for study purpose, i was following experts global course and concept videos of e-gmat. Mentor was my seniir who already got 740 in gmat and know more about gmat then me. He did not help me in study but help me by sharing experience of exam.

3.My overall target score is 700+, precisely in range of 700-720.

4. My target schools are indian colleges offering 1 year MBA (Top 3 IIMs and ISB). Will targe more top schools from europe (if chances of getting scholarship high) in list after getting admission in any of the above college.

5. I did not request my ESR report of the exam.

Now, i want ur opinion that after all of the above efforts, is there any possibility to get verbal 35+ in next 2 months and if there is then how?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi yogesh122,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
My disastrous gmat journey [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
yogesh122 wrote:
Now, after all of this, I have come to the conclusion that whether all mocks were giving me wrong indication that i would score greater than 28 at least in verbal.

Hi yogesh122,

Official practice tests are generally more reliable than third-party tests. This is not to say that you shouldn't use third-party tests, but you shouldn't look too closely at the score estimates they generate.

As for your final question, the one about whether you can get a 700, I recommend that you give it a shot. Try to stick to high-quality material, and get the paid official tests if you can.

All the best.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yogesh122 - sorry to hear about your score. When you get some time, do watch this video below as to what the next steps should be if you do decide to take the e-GMAT course. Write to me at rajat@e-gmat.com if you need more details on the metrics you need to hit and how the platform will ensure that you improve as you invest time.

https://www.loom.com/share/51128d102957 ... 0cef6cd86e

-Rajat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Kudos
bro stay motivated you can do it
dont give up on GMAT . Explode it
success in the end will erase all the mistakes along the way
good luck...
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi yogesh122.

You can increase your verbal score substantially in a couple of months. At the same time, you'll do so only if you prepare effectively. In other words, you have to do things that make sense and avoid any of the gimmicky ideas about how to prepare for GMAT verbal that are out there.

For detailed discussion of how to prepare for and practice GMAT verbal, see the following posts.

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Three Key Practice Tips for Mastering GMAT Verbal
GMAT Club Bot