Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
how about scholarships...does anybody have any idea how willing schools are to giving scholarships based on academic achievements? does it even happen?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ASAP - Get the darn GMAT out of the way! Also, the earlier you take the more time you have to study and retake, if that is necessary.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
In that case, in order to apply for R1 admission, you could get an early start by planning on taking your test the end of April.

:cry: :shock:
I am planning in July/August!!!

Quote:
how about scholarships...does anybody have any idea how willing schools are to giving scholarships based on academic achievements? does it even happen?

Yes plz... let me in on this too!!!

Quote:
ASAP - Get the darn GMAT out of the way! Also, the earlier you take the more time you have to study and retake, if that is necessary

Damn right!! But i dont want to take a retake, :cry: :cry: I want to finish it oofff there itself!!!! Kapish!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As soon as you're ready to take it. There's lots of other work to do, essays, interviews, recs, so the GMAT is the most basic and should be taken care of first. If you feel confident now, I'd say take it now!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
ASAP - Get the darn GMAT out of the way! Also, the earlier you take the more time you have to study and retake, if that is necessary.

I second that.

I took mine in Nov. '06 for fall '08 entry.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I took mine in Nov. '06 for fall '08 entry.

:cry: Cool very cool!! 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree that the GMAT test is very important and should be moved out of the way as quickly as possible so more time can be dedicated towards the school essays. However, it's still VERY IMPORTANT to be prepared and confident before you try and rush your exam. The first time I took the test, I can now say that I could've been better prepared. Not to mention I completely FREAKED OUT while taking it...and my nerves got the best of me :( ..but i'm not letting that happen this time :) My ideal situation would be to give myself 5 months to work on the application process ( trust me-even 5 months will fly by). So, my goal right now to take the exam is end of April..but hey- in case i feel I need 2 more wks- I'll gladly do it!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Scholarships are dished out all the time. If you're a good candidate for top 20 schools, then schools ranked below 20 will offer you pretty decent money.

Take the GMAT as soon as you feel completely prepared. If you're shooting for Round 1 then it would be good to be done with the GMAT by July or August.

I applied Round 2, took the GMAT the very end of October which gave me two months for essays and applications which was plenty of time.

Just make sure you don't burn out studying and say to yourself, "Screw it, I'm just going to take the GMAT and see what I get, and if I don't do well I have plenty of time to retake." You should really aim to take the test just once. As soon as you are achieving a test score on GMAT Prep that is around what you desire on the real thing, you're ready to test.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree with above.

Just make sure that you are prepared enough to do the best you could do on the test. Don't burn yourself out by over studying, but you have to be prepared. Since each person is different, this will take you a different amount of time. But do take the GMAT ASAP so that at least for that one factor, you know where you stand.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am applying for Fall 2008 and I plan to take the test in July or August. I don't see how anyone can retain all this information studying beyond 4 months.

How many months do most people study before taking it assuming a 40 hr work week? How many hrs each week are people studying if they self-study for 3 - 4 months?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
MBAgirlTN wrote:
I am applying for Fall 2008 and I plan to take the test in July or August. I don't see how anyone can retain all this information studying beyond 4 months.

How many months do most people study before taking it assuming a 40 hr work week? How many hrs each week are people studying if they self-study for 3 - 4 months?

Jeesh, I got burned out after a few weeks. I had to refocus and go at it for another 6-7 weeks. I don't think I can go beyond 9 weeks.

You have to get the right balance between loosely preparing and cramming.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
sammie21 wrote:

Scholarships are given based on gmat. If you have good stats, say 700+ and 3.5+, you can get about 10k from elite schools. With those numbers, you can get almost a full ride at the lower ranked schools.

Basically, the lower ranked schools will pay for your stats so they can improve their rankings.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am nervous about taking a DX. I am afraid to take it because I don't want to feel discouraged if I get a low DX score. Did you review formulas before taking the DX or just take it blind?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: 2008 Matriculation - When to take the GMAT? [#permalink]
I was looking through the forum but could not locate an official thread about general timing for GMAT and Biz school applications. I was wondering if there is one dedicated to how to time your whole business school applications process.

Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
lonewolf wrote:
I was looking through the forum but could not locate an official thread about general timing for GMAT and Biz school applications. I was wondering if there is one dedicated to how to time your whole business school applications process.

Thanks in advance.

Hello lonewolf,

There is no such thread. There are other threads that have information on the GMAT, timing, etc. We have threads dedicated to some schools where people discuss your very questions (search for "calling all 20XX (school) applicants")

The GMAC states your score will be submitted to the schools you select on exam day within 20 calendar days.

https://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/GMATScor ... chools.htm

Quote:
On the day you take the GMAT®, before you begin the exam, you may select up to five (5) GMAT Programs to receive your Official Score Report.

These recipients will receive the Official Score Report within 20 calendar days of your test. This service is covered by your registration fee. Once you have made your selections, you will not be able to change or delete them. The cost to send an Additional Score Report is US$28.

As this thread is outdated, it will be locked (title is linked to 2008). If you have any further questions, please search for the appropriate thread and if one does not exist, post a new thread.

thanks,
GMAT Club Bot