Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GRE 1: Q164 V157
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Nightmare came true - Scored a 650 - Way forward? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DesiMozart wrote:
Thanks for the reply Marty!

I had actually given a few quant GMAT club practice tests. The highest I was able to score on those was Q48.

I was wondering what to say to the fact that you have taken some third-party tests already, and then I realized that, when I was prepping for the GMAT, I took around 20 practice tests, and one of my students took 25!

So, taking more practice tests and shooting for higher and higher scores is just a great way to get more accustomed to playing the GMAT game.

Quote:
Any suggestions on the frequency of CATs? What should be the gap between 2 practice mocks to keep my test taking abilities under check?

The answer depends on what you're working on. For instance, taking a test every 2 to 4 days could make sense if you're mostly focused on improving your test-taking skills. Every 7 to 10 days could make more sense if you're also doing topic-focused prep.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DesiMozart,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though - as well as the data in your ESR - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? Have you used any other “brands” of CATs/mocks besides the ones that you listed?

Goals:
3) Is your overall goal score still 730+?
4) What are your current application plans?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Nightmare came true - Scored a 650 - Way forward? [#permalink]
Kudos
650 (Q49, V31)

V31 to a V40 retake in about 30 days. Similar to you, this person also had a strong Quant base. Based on your ESR, it's probably fair to say there is room for improvement when it comes to time management for Verbal (looking at your 4th Quarter). Perhaps using time markers may help on that end.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DesiMozart,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though - as well as the data in your ESR - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? Have you used any other “brands” of CATs/mocks besides the ones that you listed?

Goals:
3) Is your overall goal score still 730+?
4) What are your current application plans?

Rich

Hi Rich

Studies:
1) How many hours did you typically study each week? - I studied around 25 hours a week.
2) What study materials have you used so far? Have you used any other “brands” of CATs/mocks besides the ones that you listed? - only gave few GMATClub quant mocks.

Goals:
3) Is your overall goal score still 730+? - Any where between 720-740 will do for me.
4) What are your current application plans? - Only aiming for ISB, currently in R2 till 27th November. Looking to give GMAT again in 1st week of November.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DesiMozart,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

Rich

GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
DesiMozart wrote:
Background

I started preparing for GMAT in June using the following materials:

1. Official Prep (OG + Review + Practice Questions)
2. Power Score CR
3. Manhattan SC

Following were my official mock scores:

PT1 20/06:660 (Q49,V31) (no prep)
PT2 09/07:690 (Q49,V34)
PT5 25/08:660 (Q50,V29)
PT6 31/09:720 (Q50,V37)
PT3 09/09:710 (Q51,V35)

As I scored 710-720 in mocks (Extremely similar testing environment), I booked the test date for a week later. I thought I was hitting my peak last week and was confident of getting a score above 700.

The Nightmare

I wont lie, I was crazy nervous on the test day. Three months of prep and having a lot riding on the exam definitely weighed on me. Moreover, being aware of the horrible drops in scores from practice tests to official GMAT for a number members of this forum, made me more cautious. Nevertheless, I tried to be as cool and calm as possible and started the test.

As I was comfortable in quant, I started with verbal first, maintaining the pattern in which I took my official mocks. During the Verbal section, I thought I was getting difficult questions, which made me happy thinking that I was doing well. But in my attempt to get some difficult questions right, I lost track of time, leaving me only 10-11 minutes for the final 9 questions.

I somehow scraped through and closed the verbal section by guessing the last three questions. Thereafter, I took my break, relaxed and started the quant section. I read the first question on Time speed and distance, a type of question which I have probably practiced more than 100 times, and got right more than 95% of the time. I formed the equation of the question and BANG, I completely froze. Crushed and unable to do very simple math like 30/8 in my head I was completely blank and helpless, sinking under the weight of a ticking clock and the depraved rhetoric - 'I have practiced this so many times, I will be able to solve this'. The next thing I know, 6 minutes have passed without me answering even one question. Still, I tried to hold myself together and power through the remaining paper. I somehow reached a comfortable position, and had 17 minutes for the last 10 questions. Though I completed the questions, I was not happy with the fact that I had to rush through the latter questions in both sections.

After finishing IR and AWA, reality kicked in. I scored a dismal 650 (Q49, V31), which was lower than my lowest mock. I was disappointed but was expecting such a bad result. I knew that the sins I committed during early parts of the exam would come back to haunt me, and they certainly did. Moreover, I understood that the verbal questions I deemed difficult, were actually medium or easy level questions.

I have attached my ESR, which certainly indicates how bad I performed in the final quarter of both Verbal and Quant. Although I am disappointed, my ESR has given me some good insights about my weaknesses.

Way Forward and guidance

I plan to take a break of a week or two before resuming my preparation. In the meantime it would be great if someone can have a look at my ESR and point out the things which I can improve on. I want to analyze my performance asap as the test taking experience is still fresh in my mind.

Thanks,
DM

Hi DesiMozart

Sorry to hear that you could not get your desired score on GMAT. But I'm happy that you are open to seeking suggestions and open to working on your weak areas. This will definitely help you improve your score.

Honestly, to suggest you anything specific, I would need a little more information because I ask a lot of questions to understand the student's approach. So, it would be better if you can tell me your approach you followed so that I can suggest you which areas to work on. I understand that it would be difficult for you to write it here. So, a better way could to connect over a zoom conference call and discuss the same. As you have an ESR, I can definitely help you in analyzing it. We can get in touch over a zoom conference call and we can analyze it together. This way we can figure out what exactly your weak areas are and then make a plan of action.

So, if you wish to connect over a call, you can use the below link to schedule one.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot