Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saby1410

One can't be the first person doing something. We have to say "the first person to do" something.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 other experts

Can you please tell me if this phrase "A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden" is a Appositive Modifier?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Can you please tell me if this phrase "A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden" is a Appositive Modifier?

Yes, it is, but honestly there's no value in knowing the meaning of terms like "appositive" if you're studying GMAT SC. It's best just to think of this phrase as a modifier.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi IanStewart

Thanks for the explanation. I know the terms are not important but sometime I get confused between Independent Clause and Appositive Phrase. That's Why i was confirming
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794

The difference is that the verb (turned) is contained in a modifier (WHO turned). So you can think of it as a simple appositive modifier (A novelist) with a long modifier attached to the noun (who turned . . . ). If we didn't have WHO, it would be "A novelist turned away from literary realism . . . ," and that would be a clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi,

in choice E]

isn't the phrase ( after replacing 'THAT' with 'WHO')
''in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer who won'' is a modifier giving details about the novelist.

is there any other issue except 'who' v/s 'that'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Hi, I have certain doubts in below options. Please review my understanding below.

(C) Selma Lagerl??f was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning

??? when I compared this option with d], both of them made same sense of meaning to me. The major difference I note here is of 'ing verbal-winning' describing the Swedish writer who is Selma only.
??? Although, when I try to speak the sentence, I do get a feeling of incompleteness and 'to win' sounds better.
Just wanted to be sure instead of going by the feel of it

??? Does meaning changes because of giving additional info through the use of -ing modifiers

(D) A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerl??f became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win

(E) As a novelist, Selma Lagerl??f turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

??? will this option be correct if we use 'who' instead of 'that'. My doubt is that 'becoming' is a verbal and option D] uses verb 'became'. Although meaning wise both looks same to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
I answered D.
But can someone please explain why option A is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
AlexSgmat wrote:
... But can someone please explain why option A is incorrect.

This is option A:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Here are two major problems in A:

Option A begins with the modifier 'Turning away from literary realism to ... of northern Sweden,'.
An -ING modifier (like this one) MUST be followed by the subject of the modifier.
WHO turned away from literary realism? Selma Lagerlöf did. So we MUST have 'Selma Lagerlöf' after the modifier, but Option A has 'in 1909'.
This is reason enough to eliminate A straightaway.

Another problem is the clause 'Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman'. It makes no sense at all!
Even this is reason enough to eliminate A straightaway.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Hi DmitryFarber

Please review my understanding below

himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi, I have certain doubts in below options. Please review my understanding below.

(C) Selma Lagerl??f was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning

??? when I compared this option with d], both of them made same sense of meaning to me. The major difference I note here is of 'ing verbal-winning' describing the Swedish writer who is Selma only.
??? Although, when I try to speak the sentence, I do get a feeling of incompleteness and 'to win' sounds better.

??? Does meaning changes because of giving additional info through the use of -ing modifiers

(D) A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerl??f became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win

(E) As a novelist, Selma Lagerl??f turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

??? will this option be correct if we use 'who' instead of 'that'. My doubt is that 'becoming' is a verbal and option D] uses verb 'became'. Although meaning wise both looks same to me.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi DmitryFarber

Please review my understanding below

himanshu0123 wrote:

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your queries, the demerits in Option C are largely stylistic, as you have identified - Option C uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "winning" in this sentence) to refer to the intent of the action "became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer"; please remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing") for referring to the purpose/intent of action. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy constructions "in addition to" and "Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist...", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Furthermore, replacing "that" with "who" will not make Option E correct, as the answer choice also features meaning errors; Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and wrote romantic stories...Sweden"; the use of "and" incorrectly implies that turning away from literary realism and writing romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden were two separate actions taken by Selma Lagerlöf; the intended meaning is that Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism in order to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden. Moreover, Option E further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in 1909 becoming"; the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "becoming" in this sentence)" construction incorrectly implies that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and as a result, in 1909, she became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature; the intended meaning is that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and as a separate action in 1909, she became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “becoming” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I have no doubt that (D) is the best. But I am not sure what is the crystal clear mistake or wrong in (A). I don't think "in 1909" is the main reason to eliminate (A)

either [In 1999 he did_____] or [In 1999, he did_____] is correct.

Are there other clear mistakes in (A)?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have no doubt that (D) is the best. But I am not sure what is the crystal clear mistake or wrong in (A). I don't think "in 1909" is the main reason to eliminate (A)

There are some meaning issues in the (A) version. The clearest one is in this part of the sentence.

in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Notice that the boldfaced portion communicates that Selma Lagerlöf "became the first woman," as if she somehow became the first woman to exist. Of course, this meaning is nonsensical since Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist in 1909, long after the first woman existed.

Part of the reason why this version conveys that nonsensical meaning is that it uses the wording "who became the first woman AND was also the first to win ...."

We see that the sentence does not convey that Selma Lagerlöf "became the first woman to win."

Rather, it separates the idea that she "became the first woman" from the idea that she "was the first to win," using "and" to connect the two events in list form. It thus communicates that she did two separate things, "became the the first woman" and "was the first to win."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

There are some meaning issues in the (A) version. The clearest one is in this part of the sentence.

in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Notice that the boldfaced portion communicates that Selma Lagerlöf "became the first woman," as if she somehow became the first woman to exist. Of course, this meaning is nonsensical since Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist in 1909, long after the first woman existed.

Part of the reason why this version conveys that nonsensical meaning is that it uses the wording "who became the first woman AND was also the first to win ...."

We see that the sentence does not convey that Selma Lagerlöf "became the first woman to win."

Rather, it separates the idea that she "became the first woman" from the idea that she "was the first to win," using "and" to connect the two events in list form. It thus communicates that she did two separate things, "became the the first woman" and "was the first to win."

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep

Thank you for your response and knowledge :)

Could you elaborate more about Rather, it separates the idea that she "became the first woman" from the idea that she "was the first to win," using "and" to connect the two events in list form. It thus communicates that she did two separate things, "became the the first woman" and "was the first to win.

Because the last part in (A) is similar to (D) Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
Hi,

in choice E]

isn't the phrase ( after replacing 'THAT' with 'WHO')
''in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer who won'' is a modifier giving details about the novelist.

is there any other issue except 'who' v/s 'that'

Sorry that we're late to the party, Anshul1223333! We'll toss in our two cents, just in case we're not too late to help.

If "in 1909..." is a modifier, does that mean that Selma Lagerlöf "turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories" in 1909? The sentence structure in (D) makes it clearer that Selma BECAME the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in 1909 -- and that the stuff about "turning away" and "writing romantic stories" is background information that's NOT confined to 1909.

Also, the -ing modifier "becoming" seems to describe the action of the preceding clause. To see why that's an issue, let's move that modifier to the beginning of the sentence:

"Becoming (in 1909) the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won the Nobel Prize for Literature, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories, becoming the first woman..."

It doesn't really make sense for an action specific to 1909 to modify Lagerlöf's actions over the course of her career. Again, the structure in (D) is better: the main part of the sentence tells us what Lagerlöf did in 1909, and the opening modifier just gives us more information about her.

Lastly, in this context, "turned away from literary realism TO write romantic stories" is better than "turned away from literary realism AND wrote romantic stories":

• The latter (from choice E) makes it sound like those two actions ("turned away" and "wrote") are separate and perhaps unrelated.
  • The former (from choice D) makes it clearer that she gravitated AWAY from X and TOWARDS Y, and that makes a bit more sense.

None of those are very concrete errors, but taken together, they give us enough reason to choose (D) over (E).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:

Notice how (C) splits the sentence into two independent clauses, and that kinda makes it feel like those two parts are separate and unrelated: (

1) Selma was a novelist, and
    (2) Selma won the prize... maybe for writing poetry or something?

(D) does a better job of tying those two parts together, and that's one vote against (C).

The next problem with (C) is the phrase "in addition to". At first glance, this makes it sound as though Selma AND some other writer won the prize. Again, not a concrete error, but another small vote against (C).

And yes, "winning" is a problem. It seems to be modifying "in 1909 she became the first woman" -- as if she was WINNING the prize WHEN she became the first woman?

And if "winning" modifies "woman" (or "writer"), what does it mean to become a woman/writer winning the prize? Does that mean that after 1909 she was perpetually winning the prize? That sounds kinda fun, but also illogical.

There aren't really any concrete rules we can rely on here, but "winning" seals (C)'s fate, and (D) is a much better option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear friends,

Here is a detailed explanation for this question -
spriya wrote:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

(A) Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win

(B) She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won

(C) Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning

(D) A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win

(E) As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

Attachment:
SC01.jpg

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909, she became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• "that" cannot be used to refer to human beings.
• The infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing") for referring to the purpose/intent of action.
• The introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “becoming” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "Turning away from literary realism...northern Sweden" and "was the novelist who became the first woman"; the construction of these phrases illogically implies that Selma Lagerlöf was the first women in existence because she turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden; the intended meaning is that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and as a separate action, in 1909, she became the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. Further, Option A uses the passive voice construction "was the novelist who became", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the nouns "woman" and "writer" with the pronoun "that"; please remember, "that" cannot be used to refer to human beings. Further, Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and wrote romantic stories...Sweden"; the use of "and" incorrectly implies that turning away from literary realism and writing romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden were two separate actions taken by Selma Lagerlöf; the intended meaning is that Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism in order to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden.

C: Trap. This answer choice uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "winning" in this sentence) to refer to the intent of the action "became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer"; please remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing") for referring to the purpose/intent of action. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy constructions "in addition to" and "Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist...", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options B and E, as it does not use a pronoun to refer to the nouns "woman" and "writer". Further, Option D uses the phrases "A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories...Sweden", "became...the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win", conveying the intended meaning - that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism in order to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and as a separate action, in 1909, she became the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. Additionally, Option D uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + win" in this sentence) to refer to the intent of the action "became...the first woman and also the first Swedish writer". Besides, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the nouns "woman" and "writer" with the pronoun "that"; please remember, "that" cannot be used to refer to human beings. Further, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and wrote romantic stories...Sweden"; the use of "and" incorrectly implies that turning away from literary realism and writing romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden were two separate actions taken by Selma Lagerlöf; the intended meaning is that Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism in order to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden. Moreover, Option E further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in 1909 becoming"; the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "becoming" in this sentence)" construction incorrectly implies that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and as a result, in 1909, she became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature; the intended meaning is that Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and as a separate action in 1909, she became the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “becoming” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi GMATNinja, MartyTargetTestPrep , I was able to get the right answer following the process of elimination but I'm not sure if the the use of 'win' in "Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win" is correct or not? The entire sentence is in past tense but then we are using a present tense as a verb.
Or have we considered the writer's win as a general truth or a fact, because then the use of present tense will be justified.
Please help,
thank you.

Originally posted by Shrihari12 on 24 Jul 2023, 11:49.
Last edited by Shrihari12 on 27 Jul 2023, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts