Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not to kick a dog while it's down, but perhaps you are still a little too inexperienced to make the cut for schools in the elite tier. On paper, based on the limited stats you gave, you seem like a solid candidate, but with only two years of professional work experience under your belt it's difficult to imagine an ultra competitive school making you an offer, especially given the fact that application numbers were exceedingly high this year.

One question, why didn't you consider a back-up school?

The flip side is that you now have a full year to position yourself as a strong reapplicant at still a relatively young age. If I were you, I would probably focus on public speaking practice in a community service context, possibly as a voluntary high school tutor for disadvantaged students. Learning to project your voice is essential to succeeding at this game, and it extends well beyond the b-school interview.

Best of luck to you with your '08 applications. Surely you will make the shortlist the second time around.

Originally posted by GMATT73 on 29 Mar 2007, 07:18.
Last edited by GMATT73 on 29 Mar 2007, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
smudge,

When you reapply, aim higher! seriously.

Focus on leadership roles at your XA and work. The key is to show some substance telling top schools that you have what it takes to become a leader.
You are only 24 years old. I wish I had thought about MBA at that age. Since you have a very strong GMAT score, you can fous your energy on other aspects of your application. If I were you, I would take some biz courses such as finance or accounting to show schools that you are darn serious about your plan of career switch and pursuing the MBA.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get into Wharton next year or two years later.

Remember that you are ahead of many others including me since you are only 24yrs old.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with Rhyme (just kinda skimmed his long @ss post, but can't go wrong agreeing with him anyway).

Basically, I think you are just missing the 'passion for mba' and a clear set of goals. Saying that you want to do "some kind of trading" is not going to cut it. You need to say things like "I became friends at work with this IB guy, and he tells me about the multi $billion M&A deals he works on and that is what excites me", etc.

As a career switcher, you need to sound like you made some effort to research the field you want and have done your home work. Show that you will actually like finance more than IT and why. You need to convince them that you have really thought it through, and you have a vague plan to succeed. Say things like "coming from IT, I am good with numbers and modelling complex theories... I can put these skills to use in equities research" or "I am a master at the E".. "I can stare at a monitor for 25hrs a day and I am impervious to carpel tunnels" :wink:

Anyway, you get my point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
I can put these skills to use in equities research" or "I am a master at the E".. "I can stare at a monitor for 25hrs a day and I am impervious to carpel tunnels" :wink:

Anyway, you get my point.

LOL, nice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Not to kick a dog while it's down, but perhaps you are still a little too inexperienced to make the cut for schools in the elite tier. On paper, based on the limited stats you gave, you seem like a solid candidate, but with only two years of professional work experience under your belt it's difficult to imagine an ultra competitive school making you an offer, especially given the fact that application numbers were exceedingly high this year.

One question, why didn't you consider a back-up school?

I actually have 4 years of experience since I finished my undergrad when I was 20...

I decided not to apply to a back up school, since I wasn't interested in attending one. Actually, I had already decided not to attend NYU before I got the decision. I think my current job is probably one of the best available in my current profession, I wasn't prepared to give it up for a back-up school. As it stands, I will almost certainly have to take a pay-cut no matter which school I go to, that's tough enough to swallow.

I looked back at my essays, I guess I should have been more specific with what I want to do. I'll try to be more specific next year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Have you had enough experiences to write good leadership essays or were your examples a little contrived?

What do you mean by leadership essays? I'm not in a leadership position. As such, I didn't really write about that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
"I am a master at the E"..

My new favourite phrase.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
smudge wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Have you had enough experiences to write good leadership essays or were your examples a little contrived?

What do you mean by leadership essays? I'm not in a leadership position. As such, I didn't really write about that.

I do believe we just figured out why you didn't get in.

I mean demonstrating that you are a leader, you inspire others and identify opportunities, you bring together communities and you break down barriers, you vision things others dont see and you scale mountains with your grandoise plans. You neutralize weaknesses, identify problems early on, adjust quickly and dynamically, rapidly change your position based on the needs of the firm, align goals with needs, bond teams together and redefine sucess everywhere you go, all while you skyrocket to the upper echelons of the stratosphere.

I'm being a bit vague I suppose, but thats basically what I mean. Schools want leaders. People who define the future, not follow it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks, that helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
smudge wrote:
thanks, that helps.

Were you being serious, or joking, cause I know its a bit vague.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
smudge wrote:
thanks, that helps.

Were you being serious, or joking, cause I know its a bit vague.

Hah, I was being serious. I think I have an idea where my essays were lacking. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
You can do it [#permalink]
Smudge,

I think your profile looks good. The ding could be due to lack of experience or lack of impressive communication in the interview. As Rhyme mentioned, the second reason is least probable but nothing wrong in improving your communication skills. Since you are only 24, I would say you gain 2 more years of work experience and try to show some career progress and experience and that will definitely help. As far as your question regarding Toastmasters goes, I would strongly recommend Toastmasters. I have been a member of a Toastmasters club for the past 4 months. It is an amazing experience. It is not about just gaining public speaking skills. Your interviewing skills will improve too. They have practice sessions to do impromptu speeches which is more like interviewing where you need to think and answer questions spontaneously. This is a skill which will really help in interviewing. Also, Toastmasters will help you in self-realization. While preparing for public speaking, you will understand your strengths and weaknesses, which I think will better align you towards your goals. I got admitted to Chicago GSB's part-time program and I feel that Toastmasters really helped me in my interview. I just wanted to share my experience. Good luck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: You can do it [#permalink]
yessuresh wrote:
Smudge,

I think your profile looks good. The ding could be due to lack of experience or lack of impressive communication in the interview. As Rhyme mentioned, the second reason is least probable but nothing wrong in improving your communication skills. Since you are only 24, I would say you gain 2 more years of work experience and try to show some career progress and experience and that will definitely help. As far as your question regarding Toastmasters goes, I would strongly recommend Toastmasters. I have been a member of a Toastmasters club for the past 4 months. It is an amazing experience. It is not about just gaining public speaking skills. Your interviewing skills will improve too. They have practice sessions to do impromptu speeches which is more like interviewing where you need to think and answer questions spontaneously. This is a skill which will really help in interviewing. Also, Toastmasters will help you in self-realization. While preparing for public speaking, you will understand your strengths and weaknesses, which I think will better align you towards your goals. I got admitted to Chicago GSB's part-time program and I feel that Toastmasters really helped me in my interview. I just wanted to share my experience. Good luck.

Are you enrolled, how you liking it?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: You can do it [#permalink]