Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
WE:Editorial and Writing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Panic attack during GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Marty has already given some great advise...
Just stay motivated and do not let this one experience deter you from your goal.
Given that you took gmat recently only , take a break from studies for 3-4 days and then only resume...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Tahsin0ishi.

I think your first move is to see the 590 as a win in a way. You got through the panic attack and completed the test OK. Many people would be ecstatic to score 35 on verbal.

Now, to take your score higher, here are some moves you can make:

- See panic attacks as something you can learn not to have over time. It will take practice, but you can learn to remain calm under pretty much any circumstances.

- Do some GMAT exposure therapy by visualizing yourself taking the test, things going wrong, etc. By experiencing these triggers over and over, you can get to a point such that the GMAT test experience no longer triggers you.

- Prepare more for quant. You were on the line in quant. The better prepared you are for quant, the more confident and calm you'll be.

- Take many practice tests, official tests, third-party tests, high quality tests, low quality tests, whatever you can take. The more practice tests you take, the more normal taking the GMAT will feel. I'm speaking from experience since I took about 20 practice tests.

- Warm up before your next GMAT by doing some practice questions. Warming up can make the test feel like just more practice.

Thank you for the wonderful tips. I realize now that I definitely did not take as many practice tests as I needed to
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Braintree wrote:
Tahsin0ishi wrote:
I began my GMAT prep on 1 Sep 2022 with the goal of completing the exam in November so that I can start sending out my applications by December.
I started by taking the first Practice test on mba. com, as recommended by most study plans I came across, and scored 590(Q39 V32). I realised that my foundational knowledge of the quant topics left much to be desired and that I needed to become familiar with CR and RC questions.

Study plan:

1) I signed up for a group coaching class called Verbal Hub in Delhi, India (where I reside). The verbal lessons weren't as in-depth, but the quant breakdowns of questions of different difficulties helped quite a bit.

2) I purchased a month-long subscription to Target Test Prep after enjoying the Free trial offered when you sign up to GMAT club. This significantly improved my quant knowledge.

3) Attempted practice questions from GMAT club, went through Powerscore CR Bible and Manhattan SC guide, and left the OG questions for last

On 2 Nov, I took Practice Test 2 and scored 690 (Q44 V40).

While I was thrilled to have achieved a 100-point improvement, I felt that my Quant score could be so much higher.
So, for the next few weeks, I went through the OG quant and verbal sections, attempting more quant questions than verbal.

On 25 Nov (4 days before my actual GMAT exam), I bought Practice Test 3 & 4, and took Practice Test 3.
Scored 710 (Q46 V42)

I was still disappointed that my Quant score hadn't improved significantly but was happy with the overall score since my target was 680.

Exam day:

Noteworthy, I have been diagnosed with panic disorder. So, I did everything in my power to remain calm throughout the whole process.
The night before the exam day, I tried a few practice questions and went through flash cards. I went to bed early, but I couldn't sleep. I probably got 3 hours of sleep before I had to get up and head out for the test center. I made sure to have a healthy breakfast and do breathing exercises so that I don't lose my calm during or before the exam. Got to the test center early and went through all the formalities smoothly before sitting for the actual exam. Everything seemed to be going fine until I got to the Quant section. (I chose the default order)

I am fairly certain that I was on an Easy question when I suddenly started having a panic attack (Hands and legs shaking, heart racing, vision blurring - the whole bit). I tried to take deep breaths and calm myself down. But by the time I had regained proper vision, there was 23 minutes left (I was on question 11).

I got through the section as efficiently as I possibly could, using POE for most of the questions that seemed lengthy to me, and took the 8 minute-break afterwards to prepare myself mentally for the verbal. But I think my self-confidence was already at an all-time low. So, I approached the verbal section with a lot of trepidation and suffered for it.

Ended up getting 590 (Q36 V35) as the unofficial score.
Back to square one.

I rejected the score, left the test center, and cried all the way home.

So...

Any advice on what I should do to prep for retake?

With respect to both actual preparation and mental state.

Posted from my mobile device

Apart from all the great advice you’ve already received, see whether the online format of the test works for you. You will not face an unknown environment and can take the test from the comfort of your home. Plus, you can practice by taking mocks in the same spot, and at the same time to further increase your familiarity with the real test. Just try to minimise all the uncertainties and unfamiliarities involved with the real test.

Yess, I've decided to opt for the online format for my retake. Thank you for the advice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Archit3110 wrote:
Marty has already given some great advise...
Just stay motivated and do not let this one experience deter you from your goal.
Given that you took gmat recently only , take a break from studies for 3-4 days and then only resume...

You're right! I am definitely going to lay low for a few days before I jump back on the prep train
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tahsin0ishi,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. While you've defined a significant issue that impacted your performance, we have to be careful about assuming that it was the only issue. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Did you take any other CATs/mocks besides the three that you listed?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Since you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Panic attack during GMAT [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tahsin0ishi,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. While you've defined a significant issue that impacted your performance, we have to be careful about assuming that it was the only issue. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Since you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat .com

To answer your questions,

- About 2 hours on weekdays, 5 hours on weekends

- Yes,
Sometime after i took the second Practice Test from Mba .com, i tried the free Manhattan Prep mock - 680(Q42 V41) and a GMAT club mock - 670(Q40 V41)

- I was planning to apply for the September intake 2023, application deadlines for which start from December and end around March. But I think the retake will set me behind schedule. I'm willing to send out my applications next year instead of rushing to get a better GMAT score ASAP for the upcoming deadlines. But if you have any suggestions that can help me apply this year, I'm all ears.
I'm applying to the University of British Columbia, HEC Montreal, University of Alberta - to mention a few.

I'll think about purchasing ESR and reach out!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tahsin0ishi,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts