Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Check out the evaluations at admissions411.com.

There's also a thread on the BW forums about some good ones and which ones to avoid.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Consultant Recommendations Please [#permalink]
Dedicated wrote:
I am based in New York and I need a couple recommendations on a good consultant. Thanks.

I highly and confidently recommended MBAExchange. They are hands down awesome. I used them and got into a top 5 program. They know their **** and they work more than what you pay them. I thought it was a bargain!

-Sam
Intern
Intern
Send PM
just need one more post to cut and paste [#permalink]
I will add more information shortly - Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
First, let me say thank you very much to everyone on the board who offers their insight. GMAT Club has been an amazing resource for me and I am very appreciative.

Initially, I was very reluctant to hire a consultant but the more I read the more I become overwhelmed. I would like to apply to the top 10 for Fall 2008. I took the GMAT in January and posted my scores on the MBA Game Plan and Accepted.com threads. One told me to retake and the other told me there is no need. This only led to further confusion.

Based on my reading I feel that my GMAT scores, while not a grand slam, are very good. I have decided to turn my focus to other things: nailing down the schools I want to apply to, setting a timeline, seeking out recommenders, taking an accounting class, continuing to do community service, etc.

I am just looking for some direction on where to begin and how best to tackle the project of setting my school list and beginning the process. I just feel overwhelmed and could use a little guidance. Thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
There's one thread on the BW forum where a number disgruntled clients have made it their mission to bring down a certain admissions service. Its pretty funny how the consultants are getting ripped.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I highly reco MBAExchange as well. Got in to top5 program, and 4 out of 5 other schools I applied to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
There's one thread on the BW forum where a number disgruntled clients have made it their mission to bring down a certain admissions service. Its pretty funny how the consultants are getting ripped.

Oh please share the link.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Are admissions consultants tantamount to gmat prep courses? With a little legwork, it can be done just as well without them?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am very curious about that as well but it seems with the sheer breadth of information and competition that one needs some guidance in gaining access to the top schools. Please elaborate on your opinion.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
Are admissions consultants tantamount to gmat prep courses? With a little legwork, it can be done just as well without them?

IMHO, they are useful to help you assess your chances if you don't have access to other people in the know (like MBA grad friends). They can help you choose your portfolio of schools and give some advice on whether to re-take the GMAT, etc.

The essays should of course be executed alone. Maybe you could ask for feedback (as you would your friends) but that's it.

Cheers. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:

I think so; With some self-discipline and effort you can do this without consultants. I never used any and I did well (1 ding out of 5 programs to which I applied)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
There have been a number of people here who have stated that a consultant is not necessary. I have seen some threads that attempt to point people in the right direction in beginning the process but nothing concrete.

If I were to not use a consultant, where is the best place to start?

How can I best assess my chances of getting in to various schools?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
post your stats in one of the following forums:

Ask Hjort

Ask Accepted.com

MBA Game Plan
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]