Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Re: My journey from 510 to 710! [#permalink]
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Ashmit.

Way to demonstrate the value of pulling one lever after another until you achieve your goal!

Also, it's great to see that our conversations paid off. It was fun talking SC with you, and the TTP Team is glad to have been able to play a role in your success.

Congrats, and may all go well for you going forward. :please:

Thank you so much, MartyTargetTestPrep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Hello again, Ashmit. Yes, I remember our interactions in the forum. Congratulations on sticking it out and earning a 700+ score. A few lines from your post really stood out to me:

ashmit99 wrote:
[CJ and Anish] encourage every student to ask doubts (this is a rare quality in Indian teachers at least)... Till date, I can solve questions without picking up pen and paper because CJ and Anish will teach you logically and will not tell you to learn tricks or just mug up formulae without understanding logic. They will teach logic behind everything that's in the GMAT world, and this is the best thing I liked. In the 1st class itself they taught us that an exam like GMAT cannot be aced with the help of tricks. One needs to develop aptitude and logical abilities in order to solve EACH and EVERY Question.

It sounds as though CJ and Anish teach the same fundamentals that all top tutors and teachers of the test emphasize: how to use logic to deconstruct everything. In an age of "hacks" and quick fixes, it is reassuring to know that some people in a position of power stick to the older ways, teaching that hard work and mindfulness lead to real gains.

ashmit99 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep is super helpful. He responds to doubts in the chat box almost in 2-3 hours. Feels like this man doesn't sleep at all.

And that is in addition to any legwork he does on the side, on other sites (GMAT Club among them). It would be one thing for TTP to stand by its reputation and say "Good luck" once you signed up, but to have behind-the-scenes access to someone of Marty's caliber is truly something of a cherry on top.

ashmit99 wrote:
Key tips-

1. Less is more - I solved only 8-10 questions per day (Only for SC and CR). On any given day, I would either solve 8-10 SC Qns & some quant question, or 8-10 CR Questions and 3 RCs. Why 8-10 Questions? Because I would go deep in every question I solved. I would evaluate every option of every question. Whether I rejected the wrong option for the right reason or wrong reason? Whether I selected the right option for the right reason or wrong reason? This has helped me immensely. This was taught by GMATIntensive

2. Don't rush - If you want to ace GMAT asap, it will take more time. I have experienced this firsthand. I would say, go slow. Slower you go, faster you reach. You will be wasting time, if you rush. You will end up nowhere. It's better to go slow on right path than to go fast on wrong path. Again, this was taught by GMATIntensive.

3. You need to deserve the score - Tricks wouldn't help. You need to learn to apply logic and solve questions.

4. Find a study buddy - I was lucky to join GMATIntensive. They formed a Whats-app group, where everyone would promote healthy competition and we would solve each other’s' doubts. I also met EatMyDosa there. He has helped me the most in the whole preparation. We would study and ask doubts from each other. This helped me understand his logic and why I am wrong. And I also got to express my logic to him and tell him why I am right. The best way to learn is by trying to teach. This can also be done by writing solutions on GMATClub for questions you're solving.

These tips are spot on. I cannot tell you how many times I have had students whose face would get twisted into knots when I would assign five or ten questions for homework. I have even lost some clients over this practice, since they may be of the mind that more is better. But I stand by the notion that you can learn more from five or ten questions done well than from five hundred or ten thousand done for their own sake. It takes time to really grasp a concept, but the payoff is later. And it feels so much more satisfying when you know you have earned something.

The point about the study buddy is often overlooked, I think because it can be embarrassing to make mistakes in front of others. But I know of no one who has been flawless from day one. Sure, some people pick up on certain concepts faster than others, but mistakes are part of the process. Bouncing ideas off of someone else gives you unique access to a different perspective.

Thank you for the mention. I am glad that I helped you in some small way. Such a show of gratitude inspires me to put in more effort on this site and in my private lessons.

Good luck with your journey, wherever life leads you.

- Andrew

Hey, AndrewN

I am glad that you remember me.

Haha, I guess I learnt all these things the hard way. I just hope people follow these tips.

Thanks again for helping me in my GMAT journey.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow! From V14 to V38. That's amazing.

Hearty Congratulations!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations, ashmit99! That's quite the journey, and a VERY impressive bump in your verbal score. You deserve a cookie. Or some bhindi masala? And yes, I'm very overdue for a trip to your part of the world to finally sample the best versions of it. ;)

Congratulations again, and good luck with your applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Congratulations, ashmit99! That's quite the journey, and a VERY impressive bump in your verbal score. You deserve a cookie. Or some bhindi masala? And yes, I'm very overdue for a trip to your part of the world to finally sample the best versions of it. ;)

Congratulations again, and good luck with your applications!

Thank you, GMATNinja

Would be happy to host you :)
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
EducationAisle wrote:
Wow! From V14 to V38. That's amazing.

Yes, that increase is great to see. It really demonstrates what's possible with effective preparation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Gratz on the 700+ score. All the best going forward.
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ashmit99,

Congrats on a fantastic score improvement! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed TTP!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts