Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32909 [14]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32909 [0]
Send PM
Re: The spatial distribution of the seismic activity at Nurek is less stra [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Competition mode is off now.

OAs are:

BDEDEB

Great explanation by vijayram2496 I like the energy you have put in for writing up the explanation. (87/100)

ElninoEffect Good job (83/100)

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Re: The spatial distribution of the seismic activity at Nurek is less stra [#permalink]
In the last question can somebody please explain the difference between B and E.
What's the difference and from which part of the passage we can draw these inferences.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
The spatial distribution of the seismic activity at Nurek is less stra [#permalink]
vijayram2496 wrote:

6. The passage implies that which of the following would be true in the area of the Nurek reservoir if the rate of change in the water level in the reservoir were very gradual?

(A) Stress patterns in the rock strata beneath the reservoir would be the same as before its construction.
(B) The seismic activity beneath the reservoir would not be very frequent.
(C) The spatial distribution of seismic activity beneath the reservoir would be altered.
(D) The rate of infiltration into rock strata below the reservoir would increase.
(E) The stress patterns in the rocks underlying the reservoir would be less affected by vertical load.

My Answer isB

If the rate of change of water level is slow then the seismic activity would not be much frequent as mentioned in 2nd and 3rd paragraphs last lines and so option B is correct.

Can you help me understand how did you decipher the "frequency" part from 2nd and 3rd paragraphs ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Yet both the seismic and aseismic zones are lithologically similar, consisting largely of shallow-water limestones, which are highly fractured and thus relatively permeable, interbedded with mixed components of low-permeability shale and gypsum. What, then, governs the location of the induced seismicity?

Sajjad1994 Q5 Why can't (A) be the answer? The passage states that both the zones are "are lithologically similar" so by establishing the lithological composition of the rock strata how can one make an accurate prediction of reservoir-induced earthquake?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
devil.rocx wrote:
In the last question can somebody please explain the difference between B and E.
What's the difference and from which part of the passage we can draw these inferences.

Answer option (C) is talking about something not going in the direction of the question while (B) is on target. In the last paragraph:

"Here the pore pressure at given depths does change when the water level fluctuates, and this is sufficient to generate seismicity."

The text above suggests that the change in the water level is the reason to generate seismic activity.

The question asks: which of the following would be true in the area of the Nurek reservoir if the rate of change in the water level in the reservoir were very gradual?

Answer: The seismic activity beneath the reservoir would not be very frequent.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
Yet both the seismic and aseismic zones are lithologically similar, consisting largely of shallow-water limestones, which are highly fractured and thus relatively permeable, interbedded with mixed components of low-permeability shale and gypsum. What, then, governs the location of the induced seismicity?

Sajjad1994 Q5 Why can't (A) be the answer? The passage states that both the zones are "are lithologically similar" so by establishing the lithological composition of the rock strata how can one make an accurate prediction of reservoir-induced earthquake?

Yes, the passage tells us that "both the seismic and aseismic zones are lithologically similar".

For example:

The front-end of websites A and B is similar but both are made up of different content management system (cms), different coding is used at the back-end but both look similar. How can we differentiate them? By the different coding used in back-end development.

All right the above example may distort things further :lol:

Simply remember that both the seismic and aseismic zones are lithologically similar but their composition could be different. And knowing their composition can help to know further about both.

PS: By reading the answer option (E) I will not bother reading any option again as (E) is so much out of the scope that it makes the question very easy and straightforward.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
devil.rocx wrote:

Answer option (C) is talking about something not going in the direction of the question while (B) is on target. In the last paragraph:

"Here the pore pressure at given depths does change when the water level fluctuates, and this is sufficient to generate seismicity."

The text above suggests that the change in the water level is the reason to generate seismic activity.

The question asks: which of the following would be true in the area of the Nurek reservoir if the rate of change in the water level in the reservoir were very gradual?

The correct answer is B i think. And I was trying to understand the difference between B and E.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo could you kindly explain options A and E for Question number 3? I picked E because it seemed closer to the passage, but I can't wrap my head around A. Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 482
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
devil.rocx wrote:

I think he asked for B and E difference. Even I selected E so can you please help explain us how we can eliminate E? Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Got confused with below part of the passage that exactly which region is author talking about:

"Most of the induced earthquakes occur beneath the central part of the reservoir and upstream from it. The region containing that half of the reservoir immediately behind the dam; on the other hand, is almost completely aseismic."

After reading 3 times i got it :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMATNinja can you please shed some light on question 3?

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 3

NamanPro wrote:
url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja]GMATNinja[/url] can you please shed some light on question 3?

Thanks in advance!

Question 3 asks us "which[...] sets of causes and effects most closely parallels reservoir-induced seismicity as it is described in the passage." Before diving into answer choices, we first needs to understand the causes and effects in the passage itself. Notice that question 3 specifically asks about "reservoir-induced" seismicity.

So, we can string together this broad series of events:

• A reservoir is created.
  • It DOES induce seismic activity under one half of the lake.
  • It DOES NOT induce seismic activity under the other half of the lake.

That pattern aligns nicely with answer choice (E):
Quote:
An artifact is introduced into an environment; the artifact generates spatially uniform stress but the environment responds differentially to that stress.

The "artifact" that is introduced is the reservoir. The water in the reservoir pushes down equally on both halves of the lake -- in other words, it puts the rocks below under "uniform stress." However, the two sides of the lake respond to that stress differently. One side experiences seismic activity, and the other does not.

(E) is the correct answer to question 3.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Can Someone Please Let me know the level of each question ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyanshii26 wrote:
Can Someone Please Let me know the level of each question ?

Here is my rough Idea.

Question #1: 600
Question #2: 650-700
Question #3: 650-700
Question #4: 600
Question #5: 550
Question #6: 700

Overall: 600-650
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13959 posts