Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [24]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [3]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Renowned economist Susan Albernaght once stated, as an illustration of [#permalink]
Kudos
"Opportunity cost" is not "a company". So "that" is essential. Eliminate D and E

We cannot compare returns to interest rates. It is like comparing $500 to 6%. Eliminate A and C.

IMO, it's B

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Renowned economist Susan Albernaght once stated, as an illustration of [#permalink]
[quote="acegmat123"]"Opportunity cost" is not "a company". So "that" is essential. Eliminate D and E

We cannot compare returns to interest rates. It is like comparing $500 to 6%. Eliminate A and C.

IMO, it's B

Posted from my mobile device[/q

OE might explain it in more detail. m with you on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All ,

I would like to explain this SC question as per my understanding.

First and foremost thing to keep in mind is :
1) Read the given paragraph thoroughly to predict the errors .
2) identify the error and work on it

For the given paragraph , :

1) Idiom is used “ stated ..... that “ — that’s the correct idiom usage —- so eliminate the answer choices without “that “ in the beginning.
So here I go , Eliminate option “D “ and “E”.

2) Comparison word “than “ is used — which indicates the comparison between similar objects (thereby following the parallelism rule also )

Percentage return and interest rate ——both are expressed in percentage , so this comparison is correct !
So here I go and eliminate option “B” and “C”

So , the credited answer is A

Experts are requested to please evaluate my understand and provide the necessary updates .

Thank you all

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Why c is incorrect? Kindly help me on the regard.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rashed12,

For C , the comparison is wrong ,it’s not comparing the similar things ,

Comparison is made between returns and saving account interest rate!!!

Return is going to be a numeric value where’s rate will be in %

So it’s bad form of comparing two dissimilar things .

Hope this helps

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rashed12 wrote:
I think the people who made this question don't want to use a which here. They probably want to use a that.

... company which earned...

... company that earned...

This is because this type of which is not normally used this way (without a comma before it).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Technology, Sustainability
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Rashed12 wrote:
I think the people who made this question don't want to use a which here. They probably want to use a that.

... company which earned...

... company that earned...

This is because this type of which is not normally used this way (without a comma before it).

Hi

Can we compare returns with interest rates as give in option A?

Thanks,
Rishov
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rishovnits wrote:
Hi

Thanks,
Rishov
Hi Rishovnits,

Yes, that's not a problem. Here are a few more examples:

returns below the weighted average cost of capital
returns below the rate of return on a risk-free investment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Rashed12 wrote:

A. that a company that earned a return lower than the interest rate on a savings account ought to be

C. that a company which earned returns lower than savings account interest rates ought to be

> C is wrong coz it compares "returns" and "savings account interest rates"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Also , I would like to update that
The passage is talking about a particular company which posses some characteristics based on some parameters ...

So , C is very generic which states that a company that earned a percentage returns lower than the [Savings account interest rate ] —- generic

Whereas , if we look at option A ) it clearly states that : a company that earned a percentage return lower than the interest rate on a saving account — here “interest rate in a savings accounts “— denotes a particular parameter

Hence , credited answer should be A

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Renowned economist Susan Albernaght once stated, as an illustration of [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
Rishovnits wrote:
Hi

Thanks,
Rishov
Hi Rishovnits,

Yes, that's not a problem. Here are a few more examples:

returns below the weighted average cost of capital
returns below the rate of return on a risk-free investment

Hi AjiteshArun,

Although you validated that the comparison is correct, but in the given case it is difficult to logically appreciate that we are comparing the absolute amount (return) to the percentage (rate of interest) in the correct option A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Renowned economist Susan Albernaght once stated, as an illustration of opportunity cost, that a company that earned a return lower than the interest rate on a savings account ought to be liquidated and the proceeds distributed to the shareholders.

A. that a company that earned a return lower than the interest rate on a savings account ought to beCan't find any mistake. But sensed that usage of that twice may be wrong. So keep it.

B. that a company, earning a return lower than the interest on a savings account, should be Here earning is modifying stated not the company so modifier error.

C. that a company which earned returns lower than savings account interest rates ought to be Usage of which is wrong

D. a company that was earning a lower return than a savings account was Was changes the tone of the author and should start with that as stated that is the correct idiom

E. a company earning a return lower than that of a savings account should beStated that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Coming straight to the point, its between A and C.

That vs Which.(but tats not the deciding factor here actualy)

If you carefully see u can notice returns and interests make it usual or generic.

In Rule-type statements we prefer stating conditions on one-o-one basis (though its a deep drilled preference).

Hence A is chosen over C. And hence its a 700+ level SC ??

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

Although you validated that the comparison is correct, but in the given case it is difficult to logically appreciate that we are comparing the absolute amount (return) to the percentage (rate of interest) in the correct option A.

Hi abhishekmayank,

As far as I know, it's okay to consider a percentage ("rate") as a return as well. That is, I don't think the word return is limited to "the absolute amount".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
How to eliminate B?
I choose B because I though that we can't compare interest rates with returns as is the case in option A.

Please help.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441

I see your objection about A, but I'm not sure B fixes that. At least A is trying to compare rates of return, even if the wording could be more precise. B is comparing the return of the entire company to the interest on a savings account. That's not likely to be the right comparison, since one investor's account is not likely to yield the same dollar amount as an entire company, even if it might yield the same % gain per year.

Aside from that, B is wrong because it turns our noun modifier into an adverbial modifier. In A, we're narrowing down what company would get liquidated--a company that had low earnings. By using an adverbial modifier, B is no longer restricting which kind of company we're talking about. It's just saying a company should be liquidated. And why? Because it is has low returns. We're not talking about an actual company that currently has low earnings, and if we were, we'd need to say that much more clearly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
I was confused between A and E.

Finally chose E because the return is compared with return from savings account, while in option A return is compared with interest rate.

Can someone help me understand where I went wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts