Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
[#permalink]
I’m an American (white dude) living in South Asia and must say that Wharton has a pretty impressive network here. Particularly in the larger Indian cities – Delhi, Mumbai, etc. And alumni keep the legacy going as well – a lot of the Wharton alumni send their kids to Penn U/G.

I think when you make the transition back to Asia – you will have a pre-existing network here because you went to Wharton…
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you have a great set of choices. I agree with the other posters who said that Wharton has a better worldwide brand.

But graduating with less debt shouldn't be overlooked too. It will probably give you more options, more of a chance to start something of your own or work at a gov't or non-profit.

But I would probably go with Wharton if I was in the same boat.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd take the $60K. The difference between the GSB and Wharton is going to be minimal. By the time you get that Goldman Sachs analyst role, that'll carry you in Asia more than where you got your MBA from at that point.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What Rhyme said.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would go for Wharton. It has a better brand name internationally!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys. More comments are appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I'd take the $60K. The difference between the GSB and Wharton is going to be minimal. By the time you get that Goldman Sachs analyst role, that'll carry you in Asia more than where you got your MBA from at that point.

You're right, Rhyme.

But what if when I move up to VP or President (maybe not of Goldman but a smaller one, or a branch or so...), will Wharton network help me better or Chicago do?

Could anyone please tell me the difference in living environment between Philly and Chicago? I'm not there yet so can't imagine. But I heard that winter in Chicago is more terrible than in Philly. Sky of Chicago in winter is grey most of the time?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Little Nemo, which Asian country are you working in? It must be somewhere between India and China, not including either of the two given the stats you cite.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Little Nemo, which Asian country are you working in? It must be somewhere between India and China, not including either of the two given the stats you cite.

Yeah, your guess is right. I'm a Vietnamese living in Vietnam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chicago is a blast, and it's also my city of choice post-grad. I can't say much about Philly as ive never been there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nemo,

60K may seem a lot of money for you for right now. I understand that.

But do not choose Chicago just because of this.

Go with what your heart tells you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
little.nemo wrote:
But what if when I move up to VP or President (maybe not of Goldman but a smaller one, or a branch or so...), will Wharton network help me better or Chicago do?

At that point your school will not play such a great role. It will be your work product / reputation and your personal network of people you've met in your career and made a good impression on - regardless of what school they went to.

To me, based solely on the issues of networking / career possibilities in finance, its a no brainer going to Chicago (with $60,000) over Wharton. They are just not that different. Heck, dare I say it Chicago may even be better.

However, you bring up some interesting issues in your second paragraph - fit. I love both Chicago and Philadelphia (yes, I admit it). Chicago is much colder, feels bigger, is more beautiful (indeed, it has one of the most beautiful skylines in the world IMHO - each building seems like a famous architectural masterpiece.)

Philadelphia is huge but to me feels smaller. (That is not to say they are nicer. Heck, Philly fans once boo'd Santa Claus.) But you can go like twenty minutes west of UPenn and feel like you are in the countryside. Heck you could even commute from out there.

You have a high class problem. Congrats!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
little.nemo wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

Yeah, your guess is right. I'm a Vietnamese living in Vietnam.

I'm not qualified to comment on your job prospects in SE Asia, nevertheless Chicago and Wharton would have just about equal pull throughout the big three powerhouses: Japan, China, and Korea.

If it were me, I would take the $60K and befriend Rhyme. Heck, that's virtually a free MBA at this year's #1 ranked school. How could you lose??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it just comes down to this:

If $$ is an issue and plays a big part in your decision : Then Chicago

If not, Wharton - no doubt!

$60k may seem a lot now, but depending on your post MBA goals (where you would like to live, what career you want to choose, etc - it may or may not be a big deal - it could be similar to the cost of a Mercedes or BMW that you buy)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
little.nemo wrote:
rhyme wrote:

You're right, Rhyme.

Could anyone please tell me the difference in living environment between Philly and Chicago? I'm not there yet so can't imagine. But I heard that winter in Chicago is more terrible than in Philly. Sky of Chicago in winter is grey most of the time?

If you make VP or President, I'd imagine whether you came from Wharton or Chicago wont matter at all anymore. At that point, you are established.
I'll post later on whats great about Chicago.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Had you ever visited both campuses, you would have never wanted to go to Wharton....Wharton is a very ugly and an extremely populated campus and i repeat тАЬit is an extremely populated campusтАЭтАжтАжit is not a campus, it is a shopping mall with freaking undergrad idiots running all around....Based on my interview experience at Wharton, I recall that when undergrad classes finished, jesus christ, all hell broke looseтАжI was standing in a lobby and students were simply pouring out of classrooms left and rightтАж.and the intensity of student population stayed the same for the whole dayтАж

Fully understanding that you cannot base your decision based on facilities only but when you are talking about two financial powerhouses that are so close to each other (Wharton has an edge with an exception for the city-size factor) in terms of resources, faculty, research, career options, brand equity, global reach, studentsтАЩ caliber, city size, and lifestyle, I guess campus facilities + 60K should be taken into account in the decision making process. Good Luck. By the way, Chicago brand is already one of the strongest brands in the business world but more importantly, its alumni are one of the most passionate supporters of their alma mater and the GSB administration is calling all right shots to further enhance GSBтАЩs reputation worldwide.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
If I were you I would go to Chicago, since today the gap between the brands is not that big. I know some guys who did their MBAs in Chicago and now are working for GS, Lehman, MS, UBS, and other banks (most of them in London, because it is easier to get a visa there afterwards).

I have a friend who has just been accepted to Wharton, MIT and Ross with +40k, and he will take Wharton or MIT because he wants finance too, in his situation I think that is reasonable to let this money, but in yours I do not think so.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2