Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [2]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
rhyme wrote:
(comments that make sense)

I generally agree with rhyme. However, let me spin it somehow:

- If you want a very small chance of becoming a billionaire, go with MIT (billionaires are usually focused rather than broad and risk takers).

Well, I'm not sure I agree.. he can still be a risk taker without going to MIT. MIT just introduces more risk, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to better odds. He's just as likely to become a billionaire out of Wharton as he is MIT. In fact, I'd argue that his odds of becoming a billionaire are probably so small that an any MBA - MIT or Wharton - wouldn't dramatically alter his odds.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Well, I'm not sure I agree.. he can still be a risk taker without going to MIT. MIT just introduces more risk, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to better odds. He's just as likely to become a billionaire out of Wharton as he is MIT. In fact, I'd argue that his odds of becoming a billionaire are probably so small that an any MBA - MIT or Wharton - wouldn't dramatically alter his odds.

What I was trying to convey is that the E&I seems to make more sense to a focused approach, while the Wharton option would make more sense in the risk averse (not so focused) approach.

Then I especulated that billionaires are focused (rather than broad) and got carried away...

And to bring back some sense to my post, I posted that it's very close to a coin toss.

L.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I am choosing MIT Sloan.

I considered all the advice, including that from rhyme and lepium. In the end it is the focus of the E&I that really attracts me to MIT Sloan.

Thinking to the future my thoughts were: "After all is said and done, will I regret not having what the OTHER program had to offer."

With Wharton, I would have that lingering thought "What if I was in the E&I right now?". Sloan is strong enough in all other aspects that I don't think I will miss too much the other way.

Addressing rhymes' question 5 - to be honest, in terms of getting an education focused on new ventures there is simply nothing like E&I. It is so much more than just e-ship classes and the b-plan competition, it is hard to know where to start. Several collegues who had Wharton as an option felt similarly that Wharton's entreprenuership track is great, but really seems to be shadowed by the finance heavy aspect of the school. Sloan feels more entrepreneurial.

From the VC-track perspective, this is a gamble. From limited datapoints out there, it seems the E&I is already fostering huge VC/Student interaction. Years and decade down the road, if E&I flourishes, then there will be disproportionate # of startups coming from Sloan (more so than even now), making the Sloan network stronger in that space. Speculative gamble, but one must make big bets to win big. In poker parlance, "we are deep and I'm calling a gutshot for implied odds".

This was such a hard decision, as the Wharton brand and network is so strong. In the end, as with any M7 caliber school, I don't think I'm giving up much with Sloan, and particularly in tech specializations, I think I will be better off. In terms of network, I'll have not only MIT Sloan, but MIT. In addition, I really felt more at home with the MIT Sloan crowd.

Thanks GMAT Club for all the help through this journey. I'll definitely be back here to lend perspective once in school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations ! I can understand the rationale behind your choice. If you are interested in running your own shop in the near future, MIT is the way to go. For wall street, Wharton is a no brainer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
k-rag wrote:
I am choosing MIT Sloan.

I considered all the advice, including that from rhyme and lepium. In the end it is the focus of the E&I that really attracts me to MIT Sloan.

Thinking to the future my thoughts were: "After all is said and done, will I regret not having what the OTHER program had to offer."

With Wharton, I would have that lingering thought "What if I was in the E&I right now?". Sloan is strong enough in all other aspects that I don't think I will miss too much the other way.

Addressing rhymes' question 5 - to be honest, in terms of getting an education focused on new ventures there is simply nothing like E&I. It is so much more than just e-ship classes and the b-plan competition, it is hard to know where to start. Several collegues who had Wharton as an option felt similarly that Wharton's entreprenuership track is great, but really seems to be shadowed by the finance heavy aspect of the school. Sloan feels more entrepreneurial.

From the VC-track perspective, this is a gamble. From limited datapoints out there, it seems the E&I is already fostering huge VC/Student interaction. Years and decade down the road, if E&I flourishes, then there will be disproportionate # of startups coming from Sloan (more so than even now), making the Sloan network stronger in that space. Speculative gamble, but one must make big bets to win big. In poker parlance, "we are deep and I'm calling a gutshot for implied odds".

This was such a hard decision, as the Wharton brand and network is so strong. In the end, as with any M7 caliber school, I don't think I'm giving up much with Sloan, and particularly in tech specializations, I think I will be better off. In terms of network, I'll have not only MIT Sloan, but MIT. In addition, I really felt more at home with the MIT Sloan crowd.

Thanks GMAT Club for all the help through this journey. I'll definitely be back here to lend perspective once in school.

k-rag:

I just ran across this post (4 years later!) and am in roughly the same boat. Can you provide some input on how your choice panned out, if you would do it differently, etc etc. Now it is the GC members looking for advice from you :-).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Send PM
Re: Would like some thoughts: Wharton vs. MIT Sloan (E&I) [#permalink]
Kudos
I just saw the reply to this post while cleaning out an old e-mail address. I realize this is a year late, but to have it in for reference on how it turned out, here it goes:

MBA life was an absolutely amazing whirlwind.
In the end, any of the M7-level schools is a good choice, and it's really true that you just need to select the school that's right for you, specifically.
I was one of the lead organizers for the MIT 100K Entrepreneurship contest when I was at Sloan. Loved it. I encourage all who are interested in tech entrepreneurship to consider the opportunity to participate in and/or organize the 100K as essentially part of the Sloan package.
I met a lot of MIT engineering folks and did a venture when I was in school with two of them. It was a great experience making, marketing and selling product.
I am now running a startup in Asia with a classmate and we have been growing the company (20 employees at this writing) with some decent product wins so far.
There are about dozen of my E&I classmates in my year who also founded startups. Lots more in the adjacent years. Even more who are working in startups. We all keep in pretty good touch and try to help each other.
The MIT brand is extremely strong in Asia. Since the class size is smaller than other schools, the network is a bit scattered, but strong.
I'm pretty happy with my choice. The only thing I would have done differently is go to more events and competitions at other schools to meet and build relationships with people there.
In the end, most alumni-oriented social functions tend to mix various schools, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet people from other schools afterwards in your specific locale.

Best to all the GMAT Club members who are embarking on this journey.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Would like some thoughts: Wharton vs. MIT Sloan (E&I) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts