Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 10 days for test day and havent even started Verbal! Any suggestions? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Anira,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've been studying for just 1 month, then you should not expect to have mastered all of the Quant and Verbal skills needed to consistently score 700+ yet. By extension, taking the GMAT in just 10 days from now will likely lead to a score result that is far lower than your Goal. There's no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled (since Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once), but if you ultimately "need" a 700+ to get into your first-choice School, then you will almost certainly need more study time than you have currently planned for - and you could potentially save some time, money and frustation by pushing back your Test Date.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to and what specific application deadlines are you facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: 10 days for test day and havent even started Verbal! Any suggestions? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Anira.

The thing is that, to master the GMAT, you have to go beyond learning concepts. You also have to master answering each type of question so that you're ready get many questions correct on test day.

So, at this point, for Quant, you need to practice one topic at a time to become skilled in answering the various types of Quant questions.

To learn how to practice for the GMAT for best results, see this post.

The Best GMAT Practice Methods

Regarding Verbal, I think it will be hard for you to increase your score to 700+ in the next 10 days, but if you want to give it a shot, in this video, I discuss how to prepare for GMAT Verbal in a short period of time.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anira,

I agree that you should push back your test. What are your options?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Anira,

I agree that you should push back your test. What are your options?

Unfortunately, I can't.

Due to Personal reasons, I can't push my admission to next year.

And For Fall 2023 applications, literally, April 1st week is the deadline. So trying to give the test 2 days prior.

And another unfortunate thing is that these are the last round of deadlines.

I just wish I had realized earlier that MBA is the path that is right for my career path. And in the past month, along with trying to prep for math that I hadn't used in a decade by studying for atleast 8 hrs a day, I was trying to put application requirements together.

My verbal performance on the mock is something I am not surprised by. But with my quant, I realized I couldn't recollect things right away and some errors were cause I just wasn't confident of my approach and chose in random.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I plan to start my verbal prep today. I plan to start with CR and then RC, so that the meaning analysis helps me in the other topics.
I plan to prep for CR the next five days. Any suggestions on how to split my time and how to approach the topics?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
You'll probably want to take at least one Official Mock before your exam. 2 are free to use through the main MBA website. You mention April 1st being the deadline to apply. Consider finding out which schools may provide some flexibility (i.e. allow you the option to update your score post-application).

Quick tips:

For Sentence Correction, memorizing relevant idioms commonly tested on GMAT SC may help boost your performance on those questions.

Sentence Correction Idiom List

For Reading Comprehension, becoming familiar with how INFERENCE questions could also be helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
You'll probably want to take at least one Official Mock before your exam. 2 are free to use through the main MBA website. You mention April 1st being the deadline to apply. Consider finding out which schools may provide some flexibility (i.e. allow you the option to update your score post-application).

Quick tips:

For Sentence Correction, memorizing relevant idioms commonly tested on GMAT SC may help boost your performance on those questions.

For Reading Comprehension, becoming familiar with how INFERENCE questions could also be helpful.

Thank you for the guidance, really appreciate it. I will definitely review the material suggested.

I have four mocks left( 2 of the official, and 2 from the platform I am using ), so I plan to take two a week starting this weekend. And the day of the mocks, I plan to do quizzes; Hope that helps until D-day.

I have spoken to a few universities, but most of them keep reverting saying, "only apply when your application is the strongest" . So that kinda pushes the limits.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anisha,

Each CAT/mock is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Taking 2 CATs a week is NOT a good idea at this point - and you will likely end up 'wasting' some CATs that you would benefit from having later on.

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Bot