Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: MBA Consultant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DebdootGMAT wrote:
Hello everyone!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

This year I applied to 8 business schools and got interview invites from 4 of them. However, I could not convert any one of them.

I intend to apply next year again and currently looking for an affordable MBA consultant or coach who can help me shape my profile in accordance with the universities requirements.

Profile:

GMAT: 700 (V36, Q49)
CGPA: 3.62 (Tier 2 College in India)
Exp: 5 years in the Energy industry (Digital twin: Automation). Currently a senior manager in an Indian MNC.
Short Term Goals: Get into either Technology or strategy consulting.
Extra Curricular: Affiliated with multiple NGOs and district-level badminton player.

Also, I wanted to know If I apply to the same schools (got interview calls) I applied to this year, can I use the same essays with similar content or do I have to write a new one completely?

Thank you for your replies.

Hi,

Applying to 8 b-schools is a big number. IMO there are two things that you would need to analyze and rectify this year-
1. your interviewing skills - its important to know what you were doing wrong/ or not as impressively. Interviewing at 4 b-schools is a decent achievement but not converting any is unfortunate. As you have reason to believe that your profile is desirable by b-schools (interview invites), its important you correct the first obvious thing that didn't work in your favor- your interviewing skills.
2. Your application - what can you do better so that you have a higher ratio of interviews? the right choice of b-schools given your profile and goals, well answered goals essays that show achievements, leadership and maturity- all of these factors can be improved with every single application. Sometimes applicants copy paste their essays from one application to the other- esp when they are applying to so many programs. You may have not customized your answers adequately to talk to every individual b-school where you applied. And if you copy paste past year's essays to this year's applications, then you may as well not apply there. Obviously your life stories would not change within a year, so it can be difficult reapplying. What you should do then is to reapply only to 1-2 MBA programs and select other new programs that may not have been on your radar earlier.

Also, it would be imperative to show improvements in your profile- so now is the time to start working on these. I would recommend a higher GMAT score for one. Sometimes, MBA applications are all about luck- that holds very true for Indian applicants because of the competition. Having a higher GMAt score will keep you in the run for longer.
Other profile improvements can be shown through- more responsibilities (and achievements) at work, a promotion, enhanced extra curricular activities, more aligned career goals.

Overall, I think you have a good profile. I always value applicants from an energy background. However, if you are applying to US based MBA programs, do a lot of research on your career goals by talking to students. Many energy companies in the US don't hire international students (just FYI, I see that your goals are different).
So, applying with a better GMAT score (think of a 30 point increase) will open up so many more better ranked MBA programs for you. And I see that potential in your profile from whatever little information you have shared here.
All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello

After reading your post, it's quite apparent that your interviewing skills need to be improved.

The fact that you got through 4 universities means that your applications were strong enough. The fact that you didn't get through the remaining 4 also means that there's still room for improvement or that there was a problem with university selection.

While your profile is quite well balanced, a higher GMAT score could help. So do think about retaking it.

If you apply to the same schools, you will be a re-applicant. As a re-applicant, you need to convince admissions committees that your profile has significantly improved.

Please feel free to get in touch to discuss further.
GMAT Club Bot