Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in [#permalink]
A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial report on the economy. The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the report. The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network's position?

News Organizations' conclusion: Negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with loss of viewership.
We need to strengthen this conclusion. Hence, have to find answers which are related to this conclusion and strengthen the conclusion.

Typical right answer would be:
1. It will be additional information and will not be a restatement of the passage.
2. Will strengthen the conclusion

Typical wrong answers:
1. Restatement of the passage
2. Weakening statements
3. Out of scope: The answers that take us to a different tangent and move us away from the conclusion. They can strengthen a premise, or give us additional information about an inconsequential point. (These we have to watch out for the most, as they can get tricky to spot)

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.

Okay, seems like a legitimate option. A parallel way to look at this statement is by imagining a real life example. e.g. McDonalds launched a controversial goose foot burger and many people complained. They also noticed decline in store visits.
But when they checked data of Burger King, KFC, Wendy's, etc. they saw that similar reductions happened there as well. As in everyone got impacted in the same way. So it's not their controversial burger but could be something else.

Let's keep this option.

(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs.

This statement at best will weaken the conclusion, since regular viewers being unhappy could mean they switched to another channel.

(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.

This is Out of scope for us. The statement above states that the channel received complaints about their report. - Easy pass on this.

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.

Okay, this is a very tempting answer option and Gmat loves using historical explanations to confuse us. But something which happened in the past cannot have bearing on what is happening right now. - Hence, this isn't a strong option. We already have a 100 percent correct option on top. That is way stronger than this. Let's remove this.

(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy.

So what? how does this strengthen our conclusion? Out of scope.
Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The Story

A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in the week following the airing of a controversial report on the economy. - A news organization aired a controversial report. The next week the channel experienced a drop in viewership.
(This statement only talks about those events happening one after the other. We don’t know yet whether the drop was because of the controversial report.)

The network also received a very large number of complaints regarding the report. - So there was some backlash. The network received a lot of complaints regarding the report.

The network, however, maintains that negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers. - Despite the complaints, the network claims that the drop in viewership was not caused by the negative reactions to the report.

Gist:
A network aired a controversial report.
The network received complaints regarding the report.
The network experienced a drop in viewership.

Even then, the network maintains that the negative reactions were unrelated to the drop in viewership.

Question Stem

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the network’s position?

The network’s position: Despite the many complaints, the drop in viewership and negative reactions were unrelated.

Framework:
We have to find something that supports this position.
In other words, something that would increase my confidence in the position that the drop in viewership was not because of the negative reactions.

If I learn of an unrelated reason for the drop in viewership, the network’s position would be supported. e.g. The week was the start of the summer break and most families with kids in school or college would have gone somewhere for a vacation.

Answer Choice Analysis

A. The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week.
Correct. This answer choice does not give me a reason for the loss of viewers. But, that’s fine. By stating that the drop was consistent, I’m thinking that perhaps the cause was something more universal.

But, you might be wondering, couldn’t the report have been aired by all networks? That is possible. The report, however, was controversial. It wasn’t a major world event that we’d expect all news networks to cover. So, it’s not likely that all networks aired the same controversial report. So, by stating that other major networks also experienced similar reductions during the same week, I start to think that perhaps the reason was something more general.
    1. To reject the answer choice by thinking that all news networks might have aired the controversial report, and thus the network’s position gets weakened is faulty.
    2. I have seen some people reject this answer choice stating that it is ‘out of scope’ – “we don’t care what happened to the viewership at other news organizations”. As discussed above, the answer choice does support the network’s position. So, such reasoning is faulty as well.
    3. The way to evaluate an answer choice in a strengthen/ support CR question is to check what happens to our level of confidence in the argument once the information in the answer choice comes to light. We are not looking for confirmation here. In the current context, once I learn that other major networks also reported similar reductions in viewership, I start to believe more than before that the negative reactions and the loss of viewers are unrelated. Since, the report was controversial and so unlikely that all networks aired it. Thus, the network’s position is supported. That’s all we are looking for: ‘support’, not a confirmation.

B. The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs.
Incorrect. If it is the regular viewers who complained, then I’d expect there to be a drop in viewership. If anything, this answer choice weakens the network’s position.

C. Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports.
Incorrect
. First of all, what does the option state? If news organizations do not receive complaints about their reports, they do not attribute drops in viewership to their own reports in public.
That is all that we learn from this answer choice – under what circumstance might the network attribute drops in viewership to their report publicly.

This answer choice talks about the ‘Public Relations’ angle of the news organizations – in what situation the news organizations might or might not publicly attribute drops in viewership to their reports. Even if we take their public attribution to indicate that the report was the reason, this answer choice goes in the opposite direction of what we’re looking for. So, it is incorrect.

D. This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network.
Incorrect
. This answer choice is the most commonly selected incorrect answer.

So the network had aired controversial reports in the past as well. And the reports led to viewers complaining as well.

However,
    1. did the network even lose viewers in the past?
    2. and, even if it did, was the loss related to the negative reactions?
Remember, the position we need to support is that the loss in viewers was not because of the report. This answer choice doesn’t even tell us whether in the past the network experienced loss in viewership after the negative reactions.

What does the answer choice say? That the news organization has aired controversial reports in the past as well, and such reports have led viewers to complain earlier too. I.e., there have been controversial reports and negative reactions to such reports in the past as well.

So, do you now believe more than / less than / or as much as before in the network’s position?

My level of confidence doesn’t change.

This answer choice doesn’t even claim that the news organization lost viewers with such occurrences in the past. Just that the viewers have complained earlier too. This statement does not change my belief in the position that negative reactions did not cause the loss of viewers. The statement has no impact and is thus wrong.

Now, in case you’re wondering, what if the answer choice said:

D’. The network news organization has aired controversial reports on the economy that have inspired viewers to complain to the network in the past as well and the network has experienced viewership losses right after.

Would this answer choice be correct?

Note now, the modified answer choice doesn’t claim that the complaints led to the loss of viewers. Just that similar things have occurred in the past.

Even if we take it to be an indication of some causal relation between complaints and viewership loss, our job is to support the position that the complaints were not the reason for the loss of viewers. In other words, the correct answer should lead me to believe even more than before that the loss of viewers was not because of the complaints. This modified answer choice, at best, leads me to think that perhaps the complaints did lead to the loss of viewers. I.e., at best, it goes in the opposite direction of what we’re looking for, and so is still incorrect.

E. Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy.
Incorrect
. So the network news broadcasts are the primary source of information about the economy for most network news viewers. How most such viewers receive their news about the economy does not help me understand whether the viewers left because of the negative reactions or for some other reason. Irrelevant.

Additional Notes

1. I discuss answer choices with analogies in detail in this article.

2. Answer choice C also becomes easier to eliminate if we take into account the adverb ‘publicly’. I find that many answer choices with adverbs get easier to deal with if we understand and associate the adverbs properly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I really don't understand! Why am I to assume that the other news channels did not air the same report??? I could have been plausible that all of them aired the same report and therefore experienced a drop in viewership because of that. Some verbal answers really don't make much sense
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in [#permalink]
Quote:
Why am I to assume that the other news channels did not air the same report???

It's an interesting point. What could help is that the passage mentions it was a controversial report on the economy that this news organization aired. Multiple news organizations may report on the SAME situation if it was of national interest (i.e. stock prices plummeted on Monday). But would they all have the same TAKE (i.e. these companies purposely engineered this stock crash).

Another way to think of this would be whether a BBC report would be on CNN in its complete form? How would multiple news organizations be able to use the same 23 minute segment/host/footage?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
A major network news organization experienced a drop in viewership in [#permalink]
Conc: The negative reactions to the report had nothing to do with its loss of viewers.

(A) The other major network news organizations reported similar reductions in viewership during the same week. - This looks like an apple to apple comparison. This does support the position of the organization. Keep

(B) The viewers who registered complaints with the network were regular viewers of the news organization's programs. - Whether the complaints made on the report came from regular viewers or otherwise, we need a link to attrition in the viewers which is not related to report. If we say that the regular viewers made complaints and stopped viewing the news organization programs, then we'd be attacking the premise. Drop

(C) Major network news organizations publicly attribute drops in viewership to their own reports only when they receive complaints about those reports - This seems to attack the passage again, i.e., the passage says that the news organization doesn't attribute the loss in viewership to the complaints about those reports. That's weird. Drop

(D) This was not the first time that this network news organization has aired a controversial report on the economy that has inspired viewers to complain to the network. Repetition doesn't matter, since it doesn't validate the reason for loss of viewers. Drop

(E) Most network news viewers rely on network news broadcasts as their primary source of information regarding the economy. - A generally true statement, however, not relevant to the conclusion, i.e., doesn't support the stance of the new org. Drop­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts