Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1466 [17]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618562 [1]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: G: The group of works exhibited in this year’s Metropolitan Art Show [#permalink]
Kudos
honneeey wrote:
Hi Expert,

How is "A" different from "E"?

I chose "A" and I am unable to differentiate between "A" and "E".

Please help.

Hi,

If you carefully read H's assertion he says it's necessary for the all artwork submitted must meet the traditional criteria—and only those works—would be exhibited in the show.

E specifies this fact.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: G: The group of works exhibited in this year’s Metropolitan Art Show [#permalink]
Wanted to clarify one thing. G say "Equal numbers of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria for the show," The question stem says that both H and G assertion are true. Isn't E contradicting G's statement
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
honneeey wrote:
Hi Expert,

Please help.

A - is a could be true answer -
2nd guy states that ALL ITEMS THAT ARE SUBMITTED AND MET THE CRITERIA ARE DISPLAYED.
according to A = if more photographers have given but very few met the criteria ?

E - states clearly . as we are not worried about no of photographers but no pf photographs met criteria for display .

+kudos if this helped you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
this is a disguised resolve the paradox type question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi everyone. I got a little confused when I tried to identify the type of this question. I stayed between an assumption and a paradox question. Wich one of them is the type of this question? Or neither of them?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
Kudos
honneeey wrote:
Hi Expert,

Please help.

we can have same number of each artist . but each artist can submit many representations meeting the criteria in his field. therefore E is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
devlin wrote:
Hi everyone. I got a little confused when I tried to identify the type of this question. I stayed between an assumption and a paradox question. Wich one of them is the type of this question? Or neither of them?

It is neither of these two types. This is a must be true question as it clearly asks to point out which of the answers "Must be True" IF THE CLAIMS BY BOTH ARE TRUE.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Now I got the catch of this argument.

The number of PH,SC and PA is same. Ok.
But more photos than sculpture and painting.
No biasing.

Means more photos meeting the traditional criteria.
E goes along with above logic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
hey can you plz help me with this question
G say "Equal numbers of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria for the show," The question stem says that both H and G assertion are true. Isn't option E contradicting G's statement as option E says that
More works that met the traditional criteria for the Metropolitan Art Show were submitted by photographers than by sculptors or painters but G says the work submitted by photographers, sculptors, and painters were in equal number if they are in equal number than how can more More works that met the traditional criteria were submitted by photographers
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Kudos
honey1 wrote:
hey can you plz help me with this question
G say "Equal numbers of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria for the show," The question stem says that both H and G assertion are true. Isn't option E contradicting G's statement as option E says that
More works that met the traditional criteria for the Metropolitan Art Show were submitted by photographers than by sculptors or painters but G says the work submitted by photographers, sculptors, and painters were in equal number if they are in equal number than how can more More works that met the traditional criteria were submitted by photographers

The language says that an equal number of PEOPLE from Each of the 3 groups submitted works that met the criteria.

It does NOT say how MANY acceptable works were submitted by EACH PERSON.

So, say we have 5 ppl in each category:

5 photographers

5 sculptors

5 painters

And we are told that the displayed photographs are GREATER than Either the displayed sculptures OR paintings.

And we know that “EVERY piece of work that met the criteria was displayed.”

The only way ALL of these facts can be TRUE at the same time is if the 5 photographers submitted MORE work that met the criteria than the 5 sculptors or 5 painters did.

This is what E tells us.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Pre-thinking:

We have the following facts presented by G and H:

i) Equal numbers of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria.
ii) Each artist was allowed to submit work in one medium only.
iii) All submitted works that met the traditional criteria—and only those works—were exhibited.
iv) More photographs were exhibited than either sculptures or paintings.

All the above statements can be true in only scenario - more photographs meeting the criteria were submitted than either sculptures or paintings. This does not contradict (i) since (i) only talks about the number of photographers, sculptors, and painters, not the number of works submitted by each. Hence, it is possible that an equal number of photographers, sculptors, and painters submitted more photographs than sculptures or paintings (for example, if the average number of photographs submitted per photographer is more than the average number of sculptures submitted per sculptor or average number of paintings submitted per painter.

Let us examine the answer options:

(A) More photographers than sculptors or painters submitted works to be considered for exhibition in the Metropolitan Art Show. This contradicts (i) which is explicitly stated in the stimulus and hence cannot be true. Eliminate.

(B) All the works submitted for the Metropolitan Art Show met the traditional criteria for the show. All the works displayed met the criteria, not all the works submitted. Eliminate.

(C) The quality of photographs exhibited in the metropolitan Art Show was inferior to the quality of the sculptures or paintings exhibited. None of the claims in the stimulus pertain to quality. Eliminate.

(D) Some of the photographs submitted for the Metropolitan Art Show did not meet the traditional criteria for the show. We know that (probably, since the stimulus states "only those works were exhibited") some of the works submitted did not meet the criteria but we cannot be sure that there were some photographs among these. Eliminate.

(E) More works that met the traditional criteria for the Metropolitan Art Show were submitted by photographers than by sculptors or painters. Correct answer and consistent with our pre-thinking.

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
If both G’s assertions and H’s assertion are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) More photographers than sculptors or painters submitted works to be considered for exhibition in the Metropolitan Art Show. (The stimulus clearly states that equal number of photographers, sculptors and painters submitted works that met the traditional criteria to be selected. Therefore, this option is wrong.)

(B) All the works submitted for the Metropolitan Art Show met the traditional criteria for the show. (This answer cannot be considered, as it does not give any reason as to why more photographs were displayed compared to paintings and sculptures.)

(C) The quality of photographs exhibited in the metropolitan Art Show was inferior to the quality of the sculptures or paintings exhibited.( If the photographs were of poor quality then they wouldn't have met the traditional which they did according to the stimulus, Wrong answer)

(D) Some of the photographs submitted for the Metropolitan Art Show did not meet the traditional criteria for the show. (irrelevant.)

(E) More works that met the traditional criteria for the Metropolitan Art Show were submitted by photographers than by sculptors or painters. (This is our Answer, as this gives a valid reason as to why most of the works displayed in the exhibition were photographs and not sculptures or paintings.)

The OA is E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: G: The group of works exhibited in this years Metropolitan Art Show [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: G: The group of works exhibited in this years Metropolitan Art Show [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts