Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 45.45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA Center
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: ISB admission chance [#permalink]
With a high GMAT score, you can offset the low Grad scores. The application should strongly emphasize on the profile strengths. All the Best.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello diganta.banerjee

If you score an above average GMAT score (say a 720+) that should help compensate for the lower scores during graduation.
However, also keep in the mind that academic potential (measured via your past scores, GMAT and the strength of your degree/university) is just one piece of the puzzle. You will have to also focus on the following (around which we have very limited information).
1) Work Ex- Years of work ex, companies/roles work in, career progression, achievements and how you present the entire story will decide the strength of this aspect.
2) Diversity- what unique qualities or traits that you get (via work ex, life experiences or extracurricular activities) that will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
3) Career goals- what are your long term and short term career goals, what is your personal motivation behind these goals, and how will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you achieve said goals. What are your target roles/companies post MBA. ISB is looking for leaders with clear and realistic vision of their career who are ready to invest a significant amount of time, effort and money in the pursuit of such goals. In your specific case, also be prepared to answer why second MBA and why now (2.5 years into your career).

A combination of the above will decide whether you will have a strong chance.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
+918452954888

diganta.banerjee wrote:
Hello All, Please provide your suggestion.
I usually was a good student during my class 10th and 12th. I scored around 85% in both class 10th and 12th from West Bengal board in 2013 and 2015 respectively. 85% score from West Bengal board in 2013 and 2015 can be considered as good marks.
As a result i got admission in a top tier college after my 12th in physics hons under Calcutta University. Frankly speaking It was going well and i ended up.my first year with 1st class. Again getting 1st class from Calcutta University can be considered as a decent marks. My dream was to do an MBA from a top tier college after graduation.
I don't know what went wrong , things didn't work properly from 2nd year. I used to do hard work. But unfortunately in 2nd year and 3 year i got very less marks. Total marks become only 45% in graduation. As a result i couldn't take take because I am not eligible. I took admission in a local MBA college. Again I saw thing is working correctly and i got placed with a decent package. I am proud to say that i got placed at my first interview only. I ended up MBA with a score 71%. Currently I am working in a US mortgage company as a risk analyst. So my profile become like below
10th marks : 85.85%
12th marks : 85%
Graduation: 45%
1st MBA: 71%
Work ex : 2.5 years
But yes I am not satisfied yet as i couldn't study from a top tier college. I am now planing to take GMAT and targeting ISB, BITSOM as eligibility criteria is not there.
Is it possible to get into this college if i can score 720 in GMAT? IIM was my dream but i couldn't reach there. I need to reach ISB by hook or by crook. Please let me know.
Extremely sorry for posting this long story.🙏🙏

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Dear diganta.banerjee,

Investing in a 2nd MBA is a decision that a lot of professionals take due to goals including and not limited to change in function, industry, location – one or more of these 3. You will need to craft your application in such a manner that the message of “change” gets highlighted and not aspects like a better brand etc. You can get some ideas from the blog: https://www.crackadmission.com/2nd-mba- ... u-get-one/

Below is our evaluation of your profile:

Academics: Below Average; you will need a GMAT score in excess of 710 to compensate your below par academic record. Would suggest to address this topic head on in the application instead of trying to cover up (I was doing well in X semester, but couldn’t do well in X+1/2 semester etc. etc.)

Work Experience: Average; while you stated that you are working as a Risk Analyst in a US Mortgage company, you haven’t stated the scope of your responsibilities and the growth you have had in your career. From an admission’s committee’s POV, those are the two most important aspects while they evaluate your professional fitment to the cohort.

Extra-Curriculars: Can’t comment due to lack of information from your side. However, do note that unique ECs demonstrate to the ad com that you have a multi-dimensional personality and that often is a proxy that you will be a good cultural fit to the school.

I am an ISB alum, CO15, and have been guiding applicants for several years now successfully get into top global Business Schools. Feel free to reach out to me to seek professional help once you are ready to start with your applications.

Cheers and all the very Best
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
diganta.banerjee wrote:
Hello All, Please provide your suggestion.
I usually was a good student during my class 10th and 12th. I scored around 85% in both class 10th and 12th from West Bengal board in 2013 and 2015 respectively. 85% score from West Bengal board in 2013 and 2015 can be considered as good marks.
As a result i got admission in a top tier college after my 12th in physics hons under Calcutta University. Frankly speaking It was going well and i ended up.my first year with 1st class. Again getting 1st class from Calcutta University can be considered as a decent marks. My dream was to do an MBA from a top tier college after graduation.
I don't know what went wrong , things didn't work properly from 2nd year. I used to do hard work. But unfortunately in 2nd year and 3 year i got very less marks. Total marks become only 45% in graduation. As a result i couldn't take take because I am not eligible. I took admission in a local MBA college. Again I saw thing is working correctly and i got placed with a decent package. I am proud to say that i got placed at my first interview only. I ended up MBA with a score 71%. Currently I am working in a US mortgage company as a risk analyst. So my profile become like below
10th marks : 85.85%
12th marks : 85%
Graduation: 45%
1st MBA: 71%
Work ex : 2.5 years
But yes I am not satisfied yet as i couldn't study from a top tier college. I am now planing to take GMAT and targeting ISB, BITSOM as eligibility criteria is not there.
Is it possible to get into this college if i can score 720 in GMAT? IIM was my dream but i couldn't reach there. I need to reach ISB by hook or by crook. Please let me know.
Extremely sorry for posting this long story.🙏🙏

Posted from my mobile device

Hi diganta.banerjee,

Given your low GPA, scoring a 720+ on the GMAT is definitely required. However, GMAT score alone is not the sole deciding factor, and admission committees will take a lot more into account when evaluating your profile. Other components such as your work experience, achievements, leadership potential, essays, letters of recommendation, and interview performance will also be considered. So, you need to portray your strengths and spike factors through these areas.

Regarding your low GPA, you need to address it honestly in your application. Explain any challenges or difficulties you faced during that period and how you have learned and grown from those experiences. Your MBA will help offset the low GPA to an extent. You need to focus on creating a compelling narrative that brings out your accomplishments and strengths and explains you goals and need for the second MBA clearly.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot