Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Humanitiesx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Send PM
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AkhilAggarwal wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018 New RC
Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women's studies and Mexican-American history to examine nineteenth-century literary portrayals of Mexican women. As Castañeda notes, scholars of women's history observe that in the Unites States, male novelists of the period─during which, according to these scholars, women's traditional economic role in home-based agriculture was threatened by the transition to a factory-based industrial economy─define women solely in their domestic roles of wife and mother. Castañeda finds that during the same period that saw non-Hispanic women being economically displaced by industrialization, Hispanic law in territorial California protected the economic position of "Californianas" (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them property rights and inheritance rights equal to those of males.

For Castañeda, the laws explain a stereotypical plot created primarily by male, non-Hispanic novelists: the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana. These novels' favourable portrayal of such women is noteworthy, since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public's support for the Mexican-American War (1846-1848). The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction. Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californianas were portrayed more favourably than were others of the same nationality.

1. The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the

A. legal status of Mexican women in territorial California and their status in the United States
B. unflattering depiction of Mexicans in novels and the actual public sentiment about the Mexican-American War
C. existence of many marriages between Californianas and non-Hispanic merchants and the strictures against them expressed in novels
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals
E. novelistic portrayals of elite Californianas’ privileged lives and the actual circumstances of those lives

2. Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?

A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune.
B. A Californian woman of Hispanic ancestry finds that her agricultural livelihood is threatened when her husband is forced to seek work in a textile mill.
C. A Mexican rancher who loses his land as a result of the Mexican-American War migrates to the northern United States and marries an immigrant schoolteacher.
D. A wealthy Californiana whose father has bequeathed her all his property contends with avaricious relatives for her inheritance.
E. A poor married couple emigrate from French Canada and gradually become wealthy as merchants in territorial California.

3. Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?

A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state.
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented.
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right.
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right.
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men.

4. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. trace historical influences on the depiction of Mexican Americans in the nineteenth century
B. explain how research in history has been affected by scholarship in women's studies
C. describe the historical origins of a literary stereotype
D. discuss ways in which minority writers have sought to critique a dominant culture through their writing
E. evaluate both sides in a scholarly debate about a prominent literary stereotype

RC00548-01.02

Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma Veritas egmat ManhattanPrep Other experts

Please explain Q3,Q4? What does hispanic and non-hispanic in passage refers to?

AkhilAggarwal - Once you go through the explanation given on the link above, I think you will agree that the passage "describes the historical origins of a literary stereotype". Let me know if you still have doubts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AkhilAggarwal wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018 New RC
Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women's studies and Mexican-American history to examine nineteenth-century literary portrayals of Mexican women. As Castañeda notes, scholars of women's history observe that in the Unites States, male novelists of the period─during which, according to these scholars, women's traditional economic role in home-based agriculture was threatened by the transition to a factory-based industrial economy─define women solely in their domestic roles of wife and mother. Castañeda finds that during the same period that saw non-Hispanic women being economically displaced by industrialization, Hispanic law in territorial California protected the economic position of "Californianas" (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them property rights and inheritance rights equal to those of males.

For Castañeda, the laws explain a stereotypical plot created primarily by male, non-Hispanic novelists: the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana. These novels' favourable portrayal of such women is noteworthy, since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public's support for the Mexican-American War (1846-1848). The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction. Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californianas were portrayed more favourably than were others of the same nationality.

1. The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the

A. legal status of Mexican women in territorial California and their status in the United States
B. unflattering depiction of Mexicans in novels and the actual public sentiment about the Mexican-American War
C. existence of many marriages between Californianas and non-Hispanic merchants and the strictures against them expressed in novels
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals
E. novelistic portrayals of elite Californianas’ privileged lives and the actual circumstances of those lives

2. Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?

A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune.
B. A Californian woman of Hispanic ancestry finds that her agricultural livelihood is threatened when her husband is forced to seek work in a textile mill.
C. A Mexican rancher who loses his land as a result of the Mexican-American War migrates to the northern United States and marries an immigrant schoolteacher.
D. A wealthy Californiana whose father has bequeathed her all his property contends with avaricious relatives for her inheritance.
E. A poor married couple emigrate from French Canada and gradually become wealthy as merchants in territorial California.

3. Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?

A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state.
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented.
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right.
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right.
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men.

A. trace historical influences on the depiction of Mexican Americans in the nineteenth century
B. explain how research in history has been affected by scholarship in women's studies
D. discuss ways in which minority writers have sought to critique a dominant culture through their writing
E. evaluate both sides in a scholarly debate about a prominent literary stereotype

RC00548-01.02

Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma Veritas egmat ManhattanPrep Other experts

Please explain Q3,Q4? What does hispanic and non-hispanic in passage refers to?

AkhilAggarwal - Once you go through the explanation given on the link above, I think you will agree that the passage "describes the historical origins of a literary stereotype". Let me know if you still have doubts.

Hi VeritasKarishma

Could you please explain what does "hispanic" and "non hispanic" mean here? I have already a spent a lot of time on this RC,but I am unable to understand these words.
When I have googled these words,I have got the below explanation for "hispanic",whereas I haven't found anything for non hispanic
Hispanic:"Hispanics are people from Spain or from Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America (this excludes Brazil, where Portuguese is the official language)"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkhilAggarwal wrote:

Could you please explain what does "hispanic" and "non hispanic" mean here? I have already a spent a lot of time on this RC,but I am unable to understand these words.
When I have googled these words,I have got the below explanation for "hispanic",whereas I haven't found anything for non hispanic
Hispanic:"Hispanics are people from Spain or from Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America (this excludes Brazil, where Portuguese is the official language)"

Note that the passage talks about "Mexican-American history to examine nineteenth-century literary portrayals of Mexican women."

Hispanics are Mexicans and non Hispanics are Americans.
In territorial California, hispanic laws were applicable to Mexicans and non hispanic laws to Americans.
This reference should help you figure this out:
"Hispanic law in territorial California protected the economic position of "Californianas" (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them ..."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
GMATNinja, Can you kindly help to understand why C and Not A is the primary purpose of the passage?
I Marked A, thinking that the depiction of 19th century Mexican Americans were influenced by a variety of factors. but I was not crystal clear about my idea. Kindly help.

Thanks a lot.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATaxe001 wrote:
GMATNinja, Can you kindly help to understand why C and Not A is the primary purpose of the passage?
I Marked A, thinking that the depiction of 19th century Mexican Americans were influenced by a variety of factors. but I was not crystal clear about my idea. Kindly help.

Thanks a lot.

This question is discussed by AndrewN here and VeritasKarishma here. We've also discussed the purpose of the passage here. Check out those posts and let us know if you have any further questions!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 1:11:50
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja , can you please help with Q4? How is it not A?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from womens studies and Me [#permalink]
Hi cn someone please explain ques 4. the primary purpose of the passage?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from womens studies and Me [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:
Hi cn someone please explain ques 4. the primary purpose of the passage?

Read the explanation in the post in the link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/antonia-cast ... l#p2516676

Best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Hi, can someone please explain Q-4 as well. Struggling to identify the main idea of the passage. I went with A (more of a guess).
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explained here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/antonia-cast ... l#p2516676

Utkersh wrote:
Hi, can someone please explain Q-4 as well. Struggling to identify the main idea of the passage. I went with A (more of a guess).
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women's studies and Me [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women's studies and Mexican-American history to examine nineteenth-century literary portrayals of Mexican women. As Castañeda notes, scholars of women's history observe that in the United States, male novelists of the period─during which, according to these scholars, women's traditional economic role in home-based agriculture was threatened by the transition to a factory-based industrial economy─define women solely in their domestic roles of wife and mother. Castañeda finds that during the same period that saw non-Hispanic women being economically displaced by industrialization, Hispanic law in territorial California protected the economic position of "Californianas" (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them property rights and inheritance rights equal to those of males.

For Castañeda, the laws explain a stereotypical plot created primarily by male, non-Hispanic novelists: the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana. These novels' favourable portrayal of such women is noteworthy since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public's support for the Mexican-American War (1846-1848). The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction. Because of their real-life economic significance, Californianas were portrayed more favorably than others of the same nationality.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
GMATNinja KarishmaB

Why can't we consider "Mexican Americans" as "Californians" described in the passage? Californianas were Mexican women living in California. So we can call them Mexican American. In that case, A will be correct.
As the overall passage focused on stereotypical plot focused on "Californianas", the passage traces influences on the depiction of "Californianas"

Thank you for your help!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB

Why can't we consider "Mexican Americans" as "Californians" described in the passage? Californianas were Mexican women living in California. So we can call them Mexican American. In that case, A will be correct.
As the overall passage focused on stereotypical plot focused on "Californianas", the passage traces influences on the depiction of "Californianas"

Thank you for your help!

Sneha2021 - Which question are we discussing here?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts