Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Do I have enough ECs under my belt, if I'm aiming for M7s [#permalink]
Extra-curriculars should be focussed at specific objectives, Do mention the insight gained as a consequence of engaging in the particular Extra-curricular activity.

God Speed.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Do you have a great profile and strong work history with Amazon. That’s great!

I would say don’t worry too much about extracurriculars because anecdotally from a few admissions directors I heard that international extracurricular experience is really hard to evaluate. For example, one of them mentioned that every year every single Asian applicant puts on their résumé that they were student union president or something along those lines. Every single one seems to be putting that there a student president and sometimes they have multiple applicants from the same undergraduate institution who all claimed to have been student presidents so either a 20 presidents of those applications are worth nothing so unless you have some achievements or really strong passion about extracurriculars, I almost wouldn’t worry or bother. I hope that doesn’t upset anything in anyway. I think it’s awesome that you’re doing a lot but things are a bit jaded I guess…

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hrishi84:

This question of are my ECs strong enough is always tricky because it's not a one-size-fits-all type of evaluation. Candidates should show that they were involved extracurricularly at the undergraduate and post-undergraduate level. At the same time, there are some jobs/careers that make that more difficult such as investment banking or management consulting positions given limited outside time and travel commitments.

In general, for ECs, it's all about how much you want to lean into them throughout your application. At a minimum, they will appear in your CV/resume and in the allotted activities section in the application. Beyond that, you can speak to them in your essays, interviews (if granted) and possibly have them referenced in letters of recommendation (if appropriate).

You seem to have more than enough accomplishments to demonstrate that you have been involved and will continue to be post-MBA.

Good luck,
Admissionado
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
hrishi84 wrote:
Hi everyone,
A bit about myself

Work Ex
  • Software Developer at Amazon for 3 years
  • Software Engineer Intern at Amazon 2 months
Education
B.Tech in Information Technology VJTI, Mumbai (Tier2 college India) [8.36/10 CGPA]
ECs and Achievements
  • International Research Paper Publication with one co-author being a prof Top French University
  • Chief and Financial Head of a college tech event, managed funds over 10,000 dollars and which received a overall footfall of over 1 lakh people in 3 days
  • Written a book on Software Development -listed on Amazon, and over 3000+ copies distributed
  • Had a small Youtube channel around tech and personally mentored around 100 students around cracking into tech industry
  • Been part of few NGOs as a volunteer
  • Multiple Awards within Amazon especially around leadership and mentorship

I'll be starting my GMAT prep and aiming for a score around 750.
I'll be applying this year if unable to get a admit this year, will try again next year.

My primary question being, are the extra curricular that I have enough for someone who is aiming for M7s (Stanford being the top school) or do I need to do some more things.
Open to suggestions around this.

Thank you

Hi hrishi84,

Focus more on quality than quantity in your extracurricular involvements. Depth and impact in a few areas will be more beneficial than spreading yourself too thin across numerous activities.

For instance, if you can talk about how writing a book on Software Development and running a YouTube channel helped you grow personally and professionally, what impact you have achieved through these, and align these activities with future goals (eg: experiences in writing the book and mentoring students have shaped your vision for leveraging technology and education to drive innovation), this will create a compelling narrative and add value to the overall application.

Not a lot of people at your experience level would have authored a book. So that's something that definitely stands out on first read. We would love to discuss this and other aspects of your profile to provide a more detailed evaluation. For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
hrishi84 wrote:
Hi everyone,
A bit about myself

Work Ex
Education
B.Tech in Information Technology VJTI, Mumbai (Tier2 college India) [8.36/10 CGPA]
ECs and Achievements
  • International Research Paper Publication with one co-author being a prof Top French University
  • Chief and Financial Head of a college tech event, managed funds over 10,000 dollars and which received a overall footfall of over 1 lakh people in 3 days
  • Written a book on Software Development -listed on Amazon, and over 3000+ copies distributed
  • Had a small Youtube channel around tech and personally mentored around 100 students around cracking into tech industry

I'll be applying this year if unable to get a admit this year, will try again next year.

My primary question being, are the extra curricular that I have enough for someone who is aiming for M7s (Stanford being the top school) or do I need to do some more things.

Thank you

Hello hrishi84,

You have a good number of extra-curricular activities under your belt; a lot will depend on how well you present them through your essays.

All the best!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
hrishi84 wrote:
Hi everyone,
A bit about myself

Work Ex
Education
ECs and Achievements

Thank you

hrishi84

Your extracurricular activities show promise, but it would be beneficial to focus more on your volunteer work with the NGO and your role as a mentor (as a microinfluencer in the tech industry).

Interestingly, most of the skills a future leader must possess depend heavily on emotional intelligence. Without interacting with people from different cultures, hierarchies, and motivations, it is difficult to understand the realities on the ground, even if you know all the management concepts. This is why business schools give significant weightage to your extracurricular activities and initiatives outside of your job.

Since many MBA candidates will have advisory roles in their future jobs, your prior experience with non-governmental organizations or as a mentor will allow you to understand issues beyond your core work area, providing an advantage in a program that aims to cultivate future business leaders. The problems that the majority of the world's population faces are not limited to first-world problems, and even governments and nonprofit organizations cannot single-handedly solve challenges of such magnitude. The experience of professionals who have worked in highly systematized and incentive-based environments can greatly enhance the effectiveness of strategies in the impact sector. Therefore, focusing on and discussing your initiatives that have made a positive impact on the people around you in your applications and interviews will help you position your profile strongly.

Your personalized advice tailored to your specific situation is just a phone call or message away. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the PGP admissions process.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum and ex-admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ |LinkedIn | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot