Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
"I applied to a handful of schools," or "I've narrowed my search down to several schools that I think would be a good fit. While the schools are not all similar in terms of their teaching models and overall approach, there are very specific things about each that appeal to me."

Do you think that Kellogg and GSB for instance could be handle? I mean they have very different "profile" right? Could Harvard and Stanford also be in someones narrow list?

For instance: in my case I made a list and narrowed down around 15 schools, and I will still narrow it down to the magic 8 number, expecting to apply to 4 in R1 and 4 in R2, but I still have 1y programs "living" altogether with 2ys in this first list, as well as europeans schools and US ones, would that hurt me?

I know that it may sound: ok this guy just do not know what he wants, what is kind of true, but still I am deciding.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
If a an interviewer thinks, "Hm, this person is applying to very different schools, he must be an idiot," then that interviewer is dumb for drawing such a conclusion.

For instance if someone applies to Wharton and Fuqua, they're considering two very different schools, one is very quantitative and very competitive (in terms of how the students interact), while the other is less quantitative and more collaborative. But there may be very specific things about each school that appeals to the person, and it's totally valid for them to apply to both schools.

I guess to answer your question, I'm sure if you told an ad-com that you were applying to INSEAD as well as Haas they would probably think, "That doesn't make sense," so it's best not to tell them where you're applying unless they ask in such a way that there is no subtle way to avoid the question.

Only each individual applicant understands the pro's and con's of the different schools that they're applying to. As many of us don't know exactly what we want to do after school, it's totall legitimate to pick schools that are very different.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Johnny, I totally agree with you, however some applications ask at some point to what schools we are applying for.

Imagine this situation: I am applying for these programs: GSB, Columbia, Wharton, Kellogg and INSEAD. Kellogg and INSEAD are outsiders, correct? Should I inform in all applications all the schools? Or better would you inform? Why?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well not to sound unethical or whatever, but if I were you I would just list a few schools that are similar to each other. I mean for all you know, at the last second you might end up scrapping half your applications.

I think there are only two reasons schools ask you what other schools you are applying to: (1) They want to make some assumption about how you think based on the schools you chose, and (2) They like to to know for their recruiting purposes, which schools are their "competition."

I think number two is more likely, I doubt they put too much thought into number one, but like I said, if they want to make wild assumptions about how a person thinks based on the schools you decide to apply to, I don't see any harm in doing to the same thing to this section of the application as you do to every other section: Tell them what they want to hear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Well not to sound unethical or whatever, but if I were you I would just list a few schools that are similar to each other. I mean for all you know, at the last second you might end up scrapping half your applications.

I think there are only two reasons schools ask you what other schools you are applying to: (1) They want to make some assumption about how you think based on the schools you chose, and (2) They like to to know for their recruiting purposes, which schools are their "competition."

I think number two is more likely, I doubt they put too much thought into number one, but like I said, if they want to make wild assumptions about how a person thinks based on the schools you decide to apply to, I don't see any harm in doing to the same thing to this section of the application as you do to every other section: Tell them what they want to hear.

Well. I know that Arizona, Katz, TCU, Miami, Denver are the best ones of the bunch. Got an interview to Arizona, Denver, Miami and have no clue which one I would pick if I got into all. I guess if I get into all of them I underestimated what a solid gmat score can do to balance a low gpa with many mitigating factors
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]