Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy wrote:
Yeah.

Like when you get a brochure claiming a school is in the top 20 and find that its ranked 20th...

hah.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ONE of the best schools....

This actually means the least of the best schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: I am going to a Top-N school [#permalink]
jamesdean wrote:
Shamelessly copied from a BW post:

Here's what I've noticed on this board . . .

* When someone says they went to a "Top-20" school - that means that their school is "ranked"* ~17-22.
* When someone says they went to a "Top-15" school - that means their school is "ranked" 12-17.
* When someone says they went to a "Top-10" school - that means their school is "ranked" 8-12.
* When someone says they went to an "M7" school, that means they went to Columbia
* When someone says they went to a "Top-5" school, that means they went to Sloan, Kellogg, or Chicago
* When someone says they went to a "Top-3" school, they went to Wharton.
* When someone says they went to the top business school, it could be HBS or S.

*When I say "ranked", I'm probably thinking of a reputation based ranking system closest to USNews or Rankinggod. I make no judgement as to the value or validity of such a ranking system.

SPOT ON... :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: I am going to a Top-N school [#permalink]
jamesdean wrote:
Shamelessly copied from a BW post:

Here's what I've noticed on this board . . .

* When someone says they went to a "Top-20" school - that means that their school is "ranked"* ~17-22.
* When someone says they went to a "Top-15" school - that means their school is "ranked" 12-17.
* When someone says they went to a "Top-10" school - that means their school is "ranked" 8-12.
* When someone says they went to an "M7" school, that means they went to Columbia
* When someone says they went to a "Top-5" school, that means they went to Sloan, Kellogg, or Chicago
* When someone says they went to a "Top-3" school, they went to Wharton.
* When someone says they went to the top business school, it could be HBS or S.

*When I say "ranked", I'm probably thinking of a reputation based ranking system closest to USNews or Rankinggod. I make no judgement as to the value or validity of such a ranking system.

Saw that too. He's actually being quite generous. I've been around people who will stretch their school's ranking far beyond the examples given above.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, but it doesn't just apply to school rankings. I think pretty much every business (and person) in a competitive industry makes such claims.

We will no doubt get a taste of it when we get into our marketing classes this year. Also, it's a running joke that investment banks are always able to structure the stats in their pitch books to show that the bank in question is a leader in the type of deal being considered. "We're the #1 bank for bond type XXX with values between $100mm and $102mmm issued between 3/1 & 3/10 of last year." :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
ONE of the best schools....

This actually means the least of the best schools.

Good analysis
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is funny how schools do this. One that always annoyed me was the comment that a certain school as in the "top 10" of MBA programs at public schools. This always struck we as rather meaningless qualification- why should students really care whether your school's funding comes directly from the government?

To be fair to the schools, however, reputations really do tend to cluster to some extent. For example, at the undergrad level it is virtually impossible to say which of HYP is the strongest (although I've always sided with Princeton). Each can fairly say that it is the #1 school in the US and and each can alternatively say that it ranks in the top 3 virtually every year (Not overplay the trinity allusion, but they can say that they are both one and three at the same time-fascinating).

Further, while this will probably change with time, if one had to pick between HBS and Stanford as "the" top business school when speaking to a general audience, HBS would almost certainly be the more credible choice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another issue is that the figures don't add up.

The M7 are defined, so no problem there, but then you have:

- About 15 schools claiming to be top 10 (the M7 plus most of the elites).
- About 30 schools claiming to be top 20.
- About 40 - 50 schools claiming to be top 30.
- About 80 - 100 schools claiming to be top 50.

And it goes further with European schools. Since they don't have to live with a precise number and since they usually claim to be international, most schools in Europe will claim: Top international school in [insert European city here]. While the statement would be appropriate for a handful of schools, the number of schools claiming the status can be as high as 50.

But my personal favorite is ISB. In the marketing materials they sent me, they claimed: top 10 school worldwide in average GMAT (or something similar) and went on comparing ISB (if I recall correctly) to Kellogg and Wharton, based on nothing more than the average GMAT.

Note: The above is based on marketing materials I got from the schools, stuff I read at boards and my biased perception. I do not intend to mock any organization or offend anyone, I'm just commenting on the marketing spin to which schools usually resort.

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
But my personal favorite is ISB. In the marketing materials they sent me, they claimed: top 10 school worldwide in average GMAT (or something similar) and went on comparing ISB (if I recall correctly) to Kellogg and Wharton, based on nothing more than the average GMAT.

:shock:

Can you post that material here or PM me?! I'm shocked!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Note: The above is based on marketing materials I got from the schools, stuff I read at boards and my biased perception. I do not intend to mock any organization or offend anyone, I'm just commenting on the marketing spin to which schools usually resort.

Disclaimer for every post!! :P :P Wanna be politically correct alwayz
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy wrote:
lepium wrote:

:shock:

Can you post that material here or PM me?! I'm shocked!

Sorry, that one was paper based.
L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]