Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools:The University of Texas at Austin
 Q48  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
to piggy back on this discussion, what does it mean by:

"Can I strengthen my application any more?"

If I have all my work experience, resume, essays, recs and application all done, reviewed many times by friends and peers, spent a couple months drafting one essay after another, and made sure all the sentences are grammatically correct, no spelling errors, and no switch in school names ( :P ), how can I determine if the application is "strong enough" to submit?

I understand that if I started my essay writing in October and the app is due end of October, it's probably not strong enough to submit. But if I'm going to write my first outline and draft in the next couple weekends in August, and have at least 2-3 people do a comprehensive review of it (including my own mini-reviews), plus incorporate things from school visits, talking to alums and students (which I'm getting quite a bit of contacts from Berkeley and Stanford). Will that be "strong enough" by the end of October (R1) to submit?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
It sounds like you've done everything you wanted to do. What are you missing?

Seriously, you'll know when they're done....you've got it how you want it, further futzing won't have any real change, etc. Or you'll just be so damned tired of working on it, you'll just want to send it off.

kryzak wrote:
to piggy back on this discussion, what does it mean by:

"Can I strengthen my application any more?"

If I have all my work experience, resume, essays, recs and application all done, reviewed many times by friends and peers, spent a couple months drafting one essay after another, and made sure all the sentences are grammatically correct, no spelling errors, and no switch in school names ( :P ), how can I determine if the application is "strong enough" to submit?

I understand that if I started my essay writing in October and the app is due end of October, it's probably not strong enough to submit. But if I'm going to write my first outline and draft in the next couple weekends in August, and have at least 2-3 people do a comprehensive review of it (including my own mini-reviews), plus incorporate things from school visits, talking to alums and students (which I'm getting quite a bit of contacts from Berkeley and Stanford). Will that be "strong enough" by the end of October (R1) to submit?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm more worried about the "... damned tired of working on it and want to send it off" part. That's why I wanted to see if there was some "formula" on determining if the application needs any strengthening.

I just hope I can leave spaces in my essay to insert experiences of the class visits, since some of them are in the October time frame and the R1's are due at the end of October.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I'm more worried about the "... damned tired of working on it and want to send it off" part. That's why I wanted to see if there was some "formula" on determining if the application needs any strengthening.

I just hope I can leave spaces in my essay to insert experiences of the class visits, since some of them are in the October time frame and the R1's are due at the end of October.

Sorry, I don't think it's that easy - no formula applies. Check out the essay writing guide that Rhyme wrote, but it really does sound like you're on the ball.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, I have rhyme's document saved, printed, and read. =) I will re-read all the stuff I've been downloading and reading again throughout my essay process.

I *really* want to get into a good MBA school for Fall 2008, so I'm very motivated. It's good to hear that I'm on the ball, as I always feel like I'm behind. :shock:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Seriously, you'll know when they're done....you've got it how you want it, further futzing won't have any real change, etc. Or you'll just be so damned tired of working on it, you'll just want to send it off.

Or you will run out of time and submit anyway... as most of us have... :lol:

Funny how that worked out fine for most of us.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
We've completely hijacked this thread. But continuing kryzak's question, how much time did the 2007ers spend on each application?

I know that the amount of time spent doesn't necessarily mean that your application is ready .. but such guidelines may help us 2008ers plan our application work some more and stay well within deadlines and still produce good quality applications.

I was initially planning to spend a month on each application. But I don't think I have that much time for each application now. Is one month too much / too less?

EDIT: Assuming working for 2 hrs each day (I will spend more time during the weekends, but then I will not work on the essays at all some days)

Originally posted by mNeo on 01 Aug 2007, 13:32.
Last edited by mNeo on 01 Aug 2007, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yikes! I did NOT spend that much time on them. We've talked about this in other places, but I turned all of mine out pretty quickly.

So, probably an average of 2 or maybe 3 hours for the data entry portions - demographic info, activities, whatever is on the app. Your first one takes longer, as you have to remember the name of that club you were in in college and how many hours you spent each week on it. After you get that info down, it's much quicker.

As for essays, it really depends on how long they are and how many there are. Yale's application was super-short; UNC's was pretty long. The schools vary a lot. But I would say somewhere between 10 and 25 hours, maybe even less if there are only 2 fairly short essays and you've already got your shtick down.

mNeo wrote:
We've completely hijacked this thread. But continuing kryzak's question, how much time did the 2007ers spend on each application?

I know that the amount of time spent doesn't necessarily mean that your application is ready .. but such guidelines may help us 2008ers plan our application work some more and stay well within deadlines and still produce good quality applications.

I was initially planning to spend a month on each application. But I don't think I have that much time for each application now. Is one month too much / too less?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT Club Bot