Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 [#permalink]
Added to the pants pooping thread
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I'll be applying R2. Its too early of a R1 deadline for me to be able to visit this year. My odds aren't good, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Out of all the schools I am looking at, I believe I have the best stories & experiences for the Harvard essays. Too bad that R1 deadline is so early. Right now I am deciding between having HBS be my first set of completed essays, which are usually the worst, and submitting them for R2. I don't think it applying in R2 will hurt my chances anymore, its just the wait to hear back from them would kill me.
VP
VP
Send PM
forcefeed wrote:
I don't think it applying in R2 will hurt my chances anymore, its just the wait to hear back from them would kill me.

I agree, R2 won't hurt your chances, but the wait is tough. I think this year they will have a deadline for interview invites (as Chicago and Wharton have), so the wait should be a little shorter.

L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
lepium wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:
Lets get some people out here and discuss about life at Harvard.

Come visit, man. It's very intense.
What helped me find out stuff:

1) As corny as it may sound, I read the "day in the life" posted by some students in the website and got some useful information.
2) I attended a class, an on-campus info session and an off-campus info session.
3) The website has tons of info, just make sure you follow all the links that interest you or conduct a search.
4) Don't bother too much with following up with adcoms, phoning them every other day, dropping by "just to say hi". Follow the rules and you should be fine. Your decision will be ready when it's supposed to be, and your interview invitation will be sent if necessary.

L.

I am in INDIA, so might not be able to visit the campus.............I have gone through the website properly.

Need some information about the job scene post MBA. Do you have some info other than the info in the employment reports?
VP
VP
Send PM
abhishek.sardana wrote:
I am in INDIA, so might not be able to visit the campus.............I have gone through the website properly.

Need some information about the job scene post MBA. Do you have some info other than the info in the employment reports?

Not much, at least yet. That's a good question for an info session or for some local alumni.

My view on the subject is that if you get into HBS there won't be many closed doors, so the job scene can be considered to be as good as or better than that at any other school.

L.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lepium wrote:

I agree, R2 won't hurt your chances, but the wait is tough. I think this year they will have a deadline for interview invites (as Chicago and Wharton have), so the wait should be a little shorter.

L.

Do y'all recommend I apply for R1 or R2? If I apply for R2 I will be able to do a full class & campus visit as well as put together better essays. My heart was initially set on R1 but I am starting to lean towards R2. I did visit the campus about a month ago for an info session but it did not include class visits, tours, or meeting with students.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Why is an HBS visit a prereq to applying? I just don't see anywhere in the application or essays where that would be of enough benefit to DELAY submitting the application to another round.

Although I think visiting the school is important, for the essays I am writing not once have I thought my essay would be enhanced by visiting. Maybe I am missing something though.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
Why is an HBS visit a prereq to applying? I just don't see anywhere in the application or essays where that would be of enough benefit to DELAY submitting the application to another round.

Although I think visiting the school is important, for the essays I am writing not once have I thought my essay would be enhanced by visiting. Maybe I am missing something though.

Thoughts?

Many people here have mentioned that after a visit you have a much better feel for the overall culture. That way you could better tailor your essays to emphasize your fit with said school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Agreed...But HBS is different. There is no 'WHY HBS' essay question.

In other words, what essay question would this help you address?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Although there is no explicit "Why HBS" essay, you still want to tailor your career goals essay to the specific school. You want to show how HBS in particular will help you reach your goals and why no other school would do. It is also a good idea to have your other essays emphasize characteristics that are a good fit with HBS.

One plus is that all R1 applicants will have the same predicament, formal class visits don't start until Oct 9th, 7 days after the R1 deadline. During my visit for an info session an Adcom mentioned that some students do visit schools a year in advance. The adcom thought that was a little ridiculous though and didn't expect that much planning out of prospective students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
I find the below rather contradictory -

Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from an English-speaking university are not required to take the TOEFL/TWE or IELTS (i.e., they are exempt).

Candidates who received a master's or Ph.D. degree from an English-speaking university are strongly encouraged to submit the TOEFL and/or IELTS.

So - an under graduate from an english speaking Univ / followed by a Masters in the United States still warrants TOEFL ?!

I am missing the logic here ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I would see that mostly being applicable to foreign students who had received a masters in the US, but not their bachelors. Otherwise, you are correct, it would make no sense!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Umm .. so students who recieved their UG (outside US) from an English speaking university should turn in TOEFL scores if they had continued with their masters in the US but those students who stopped with their UG needn bother about TOEFL ?! weird .. !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
i am in for R1

for everybody out there who is wondering whether to visit or not, i have one piece of advise... do it!... whoever said it wasn't kidding when they said that a hbs class is like a meeting at the united nations... and all the flags in the classroom only add to this

i was in two minds about hbs before i visited... i have no doubts now... i still don't think i stand a chance of getting in, but i just cannot resist trying!
VP
VP
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
Why is an HBS visit a prereq to applying? Thoughts?

I don't think of it as a prereq. I think that if you have any concerns about the culture or any other doubts, it should put your mind at ease (or not). Either way, you would not want to be admitted to a school you loathe, no matter how prestigious it may be.

My advice: visit all schools to which you apply, or at least the schools to which you are admitted before comitting 2 years and 150+ k.

L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
Edit:

Originally posted by kripalkavi on 03 Sep 2007, 21:10.
Last edited by kripalkavi on 02 Oct 2007, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts