Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for replies, any other opinions???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vlad77 wrote:
Thanks for replies, any other opinions???

what kryzak said...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: Share your experience on GMATPrep tests [#permalink]
Vlad77 wrote:
Today, I took my first GMATPrep test and scored misirable 640 :twisted: (Q46;V32), while I expected to reach 700+

I got:
- 17 quantative questions wrong, which resulted in 46 (I expected that Q section would be easy, but it was quite similar to GMAT challenges :x )
- 11 verbal questions wrong (7 wrong RC, 1 wrong CR, 3 wrong SC), which resulted in ONLY 32 (may be this low score is because I made two mistakes in the first 10 questions? Or, it is because the requirements are stricter for verbal part than for math part? Please, express your thoughts on this issue)

Can anybody tell how many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 39+ in verbal part?
AND
How many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 50+ in Q part?

I have my GMAT appointment on September, 4th. Can anyone suggest how to improve my verbal results further???

vlad,

another interesting thing to note is that supposedly (i say supposedly because the algorithim is a trade secret) the algorithim also takes into consideration the TYPES of questions you got wrong. So if all your mistakes had to do with SC, you are less 'well rounded' and receive a lower score... if all your mistakes on Q had to deal with circles then its worse then getting a variety of mistakes on different topics.

moral of the story:

don't worry about it. your first GMATPrep score is not miserable. it is a great place to start (i started at 640) and i think you can improve and break 700 by september 4th if you put in the hours and effort!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Share your experience on GMATPrep tests [#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
Vlad77 wrote:
Today, I took my first GMATPrep test and scored misirable 640 :twisted: (Q46;V32), while I expected to reach 700+

I got:
- 17 quantative questions wrong, which resulted in 46 (I expected that Q section would be easy, but it was quite similar to GMAT challenges :x )
- 11 verbal questions wrong (7 wrong RC, 1 wrong CR, 3 wrong SC), which resulted in ONLY 32 (may be this low score is because I made two mistakes in the first 10 questions? Or, it is because the requirements are stricter for verbal part than for math part? Please, express your thoughts on this issue)

Can anybody tell how many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 39+ in verbal part?
AND
How many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 50+ in Q part?

I have my GMAT appointment on September, 4th. Can anyone suggest how to improve my verbal results further???

vlad,

another interesting thing to note is that supposedly (i say supposedly because the algorithim is a trade secret) the algorithim also takes into consideration the TYPES of questions you got wrong. So if all your mistakes had to do with SC, you are less 'well rounded' and receive a lower score... if all your mistakes on Q had to deal with circles then its worse then getting a variety of mistakes on different topics.

moral of the story:

don't worry about it. your first GMATPrep score is not miserable. it is a great place to start (i started at 640) and i think you can improve and break 700 by september 4th if you put in the hours and effort!

Thanks, trying to do my best :-D !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with anony. 640 is not a bad score to start with. A bit of amrt prep will take you to your desired score. Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow...you can go 20/37 in quant and pull a 46? I had no idea!

it looks like verbal is a bit tougher though. I always thought it was the other way around.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
trahul4 wrote:
I agree with anony. 640 is not a bad score to start with. A bit of amrt prep will take you to your desired score. Good luck.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The only thing I have to add is that I would focus more on verbal in the time you have left. While you could probably bring your quant score up (sounds like that's your area of strength), I think you'll get more ROI in terms of your total score by bringing up the verbal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]

Originally posted by Vlad77 on 19 Aug 2007, 00:06.
Last edited by Vlad77 on 19 Aug 2007, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Robin in NC wrote:
The only thing I have to add is that I would focus more on verbal in the time you have left. While you could probably bring your quant score up (sounds like that's your area of strength), I think you'll get more ROI in terms of your total score by bringing up the verbal.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
From what I understand the algorithm is highly complex. However, it is quite good at what it does, and grade your abilities in comparison to others :-)

Anyways, it works like so: It starts the first question off at a medium difficulty, and scales the difficulty up and down depending on whether you get it right or wrong. After about 10 it's maxed out.

Anyways I got 760 today(GMPrep1 or 2, forget which one), 50Q, 44V, and 8 & 8 wrong on each, so the # of questions you get wrong has nothing to do with it. The scoring is pretty accurate. I was at 740/750 a few days ago, and I've put in a lot of studying and boosted my Q from 46-48 to 50 or so; my mental stamina was off today.

Another thing I'm sure it considers is if you get the last ones wrong at the end, it's probably because of time, and that is not penalized as much as if you were to get them uniformly wrong throughout the test.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
looks like you're ready to take the test! (or did you mean you got a 760 on the real test? I couldn't tell) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
looks like you're ready to take the test! (or did you mean you got a 760 on the real test? I couldn't tell) :)

hah, I've set a lofty goal, I'm nowhere near 820 yet :-( But until then I'll be here for a while :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ahh, 820... you have a lot more work ahead of you! :P Good luck!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
how is the percentile calculated? performance over a year?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2 wrote:

With current computer technologies it can be done daily or even after each taken test :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vlad77 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

With current computer technologies it can be done daily or even after each taken test :shock:

agreed. i'd go so far as to say today's test takers might even affect tomorrows test.i.e. someone in an office runs some query and sees that all 700 level test takers got Question ID#XXXXXX wrong , and now it is worth more points.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts