Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Re-applicant R1

Ozmba2006, its nice to have you on the board. Did you have a feedback session with them? I am re-applying to 2 schools (WH and CL) this year but am also planning to apply to NYU, hopefully in R1. Hence, any tips/insights from you would be helpful.

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
DJM wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Re-applicant R1

Ozmba2006, its nice to have you on the board. Did you have a feedback session with them? I am re-applying to 2 schools (WH and CL) this year but am also planning to apply to NYU, hopefully in R1. Hence, any tips/insights from you would be helpful.

Thanks.

I agree. If you have any insight, let us know.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I originally wanted to apply to NYU (because of the City and it being in the Elite category), but after finding out that their strengths are in media and finance, and in other stuff it'll be hard to place outside of the Northeast (I want to work on the West Coast and in Asia), I had to reluctantly remove NYU off my list. I will still talk to a friend's fiance who graduated from NYU last year and see what she says, but she had a hard time finding a job on the West Coast and it took her roughly 6-8 months to find one... on her own.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can always take a job at a NYC office of a big company and after working there for a period of time transfer to a west coast office. My wife and I have decided not to tie ourselves to a post grad location since in reality we have no clue where we will be in two years. NYU will provide you options, it is not suprising that most grads stay in the city though...just look how many people from all the other schools around the country move to NYC. Don't be afraid to take a look at the school. NYC is an amazing place and spending a few years there would be a great experience for most people.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
NYU doesn't offer any feedback

But one thing is clear , Stern likes high GMAT Score ,During my last visit to the school, adcom was openly telling - Take GMAT as many times as you want --We only look at your high gmat score-----Even students kinda hinted that high gmat score helps more than any thing ....

The usual - Columbia vs NYU -- who likes to be backup school....so try to show that you really really like Stern and would join Stern instead of Columbia - not unthinkable-- I met one alumni who choose Stern over Columbia

Barring internationals, i doubt if a USA based applicant can get an admit without a school visit----they are very anal about school visit ---so make sure that prospectives do attend the school --

One more

Focus on Essay 3 --and try to really be creative -- I choose the easy way ( a 500 word essay ) , which may show the lack of passion from applicant towards the school

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, I understand there are ways to move around once you get out of b-school and use your connections, but as much as I LOVE NYC (I once drove there from Montreal just to be in the City for 24 hours before I had to drive back out to Rochester to catch a plane back to Cali!), I don't think I want to live there after my b-school, UNTIL I'm filthy rich and can afford a big apartment in downtown Manhattan or something like that.

NYC is a good place for everyone, but it's an even BETTER place for people who have money and no budget worries ;)

I'll think about it more, but at this point, even if I apply, NYU will probably be one of my later applications I prepare. Stanford, Berkeley, and UCLA are key right now. I'll keep my eye on this thread to learn more about NYU though!

EDIT: BTW, Riverripper, where are you applying to again? Forgot...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Focus on Essay 3 --and try to really be creative -- I choose the easy way ( a 500 word essay ) , which may show the lack of passion from applicant towards the school

What sucks is I was going to do several slides to give a view of my life and experiences...but thats also kinda of what chicago asks for a question now. I don't want it to look like I am recycling material...damn more work now.

kryzak wrote:
EDIT: BTW, Riverripper, where are you applying to again? Forgot...

R1 as of right now: GSB, Kellogg, MIT, and Tuck.

R2 depends on the success of the above. If I get in to one of those early I wont bother submitting R2. If I dont get in before R2 deadlines I am going to have NYU and CMU prepared to submit and will apply to them.

R3...god I hope I dont have to think about that.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
R2 depends on the success of the above. If I get in to one of those early I wont bother submitting R2. If I dont get in before R2 deadlines I am going to have NYU and CMU prepared to submit and will apply to them.

Although since you'll get some results of R1 close to / by the end of R2 deadline, you'll have to prepare the R2 applications anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind. That's what you also said :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Although since you'll get some results of R1 close to / by the end of R2 deadline, you'll have to prepare the R2 applications anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind. That's what you also said :?

I guess Kellogg lets you know as they decide. And the dates for GSB and Kellogg are right around when the R2 dealines are. So I will have them ready, I just will save 400 bucks if I get into one of my R1 schools.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will also do something similar, although I haven't even decided on the schools for R2. Maybe my Sept-end trip to the east coast schools will help me with that. Also, both Columbia ED and Wharton will have the decisions out by early Dec. So I'll have some time before R2 deadlines.

BTW what made you choose CMU? I have a friend there and his opinion was that all the students there are quant robots. I know that it's just one opinion .. so ..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I will also do something similar, although I haven't even decided on the schools for R2.

mNeo, where are you applying for R1?

Columbia ED, Wharton,?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
BTW what made you choose CMU? I have a friend there and his opinion was that all the students there are quant robots. I know that it's just one opinion .. so ..

Its reputation in the energy industry. Due to my wifes job (software) I have to pick areas she can work so places like Michigan and Cornell are out. Don't really want to move down south to go to Duke but we are still talking about that...its a few months before I even have to worry about it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
how come no Haas, riverripper (not that I want *more* competition, but they're very good at social impact, energy and stuff too)?

I won't have much time to visit Chicago schools until October, and it makes no sense to go to Chicago to visit until school starts anyway, since it's so far away for me (from Cali). By that time, it would be a bit too late to research about the school to go for R1, especially Kellogg, which asks you to request an interview by 10/4 or something like that...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Will be a round 2 school for me. It seems to have the same advantages that columbia has.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I go to NYC for thanksgiving every year. My wife and I are planning on going for the week this year and visiting NYU at the start of the week. I have been to the campus before a bunch of times since I had a few friends go through law school there but never went into the B-school building or attended a class.

Seems like everyone says if you are in the same region as a school you have no excuse with visiting since I live an hour north of boston I am basically required to visit,. I mean they have an essay that is perfect for talking about your visit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
Im from the Midwest so I flew out to NY at the end of July to visit the school (actually it was to get engaged but I didnt tell them that :-D ). Visiting the school is an highly encouraged. They have informational sessions most days at 4:30. You get to meet with an admissions represenative and take a tour of the school. Everything is located in one building which is how they try to build a sense of school community considering your in the middle of Greenwich village. At the end of the session they give a powerpoint presentation and talk about what they are looking for. I agree with Ozmba. They encourage you to take the GMAT several times. They gave an example where a person took it 13 times :shock: . They said it showed determination and commented that the person wasnt unhappy.

They are having a diversity recruiting event in October which you have to apply for. If anyone is planning to go PM me. It be nice to see some other GMATclubber's there.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
gixxer1000 wrote:
They are having a diversity recruiting event in October which you have to apply for. If anyone is planning to go PM me. It be nice to see some other GMATclubber's there.

I applied for the Diversity event, but not sure if they allow International students for the event ...as their target is the under represented minorities

cheers
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3