Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Where did you guys find the Diversity Event? I couldn't find it on their Infosession page...

Thanks!

Dude it is right on the front page

here is the link anyway...

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... doc_id=396
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:
To me that shows an indication of a mental disorder. That is bordering on OCD...and its also is over 3k worth of gmat fees. Also its safe to assume someone who would do that probably took courses and may have had a tutor.

Schools DONT give a ****...they want to maintain their average gmat scores....

Every event I have gone to the admissions people have said they tend to look for people who have taken it no more than 4 times and the fewer times it takes the better.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah. To me, anybody taking GMAT more than 2 (maybe 3) times lacks planning and foresight and has poor self-awareness. If you weren't careful about GMAT the first time, then after taking it once, you should know what to expect from the test. Then how do you end up taking it 12 more times :shock:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Oz, I'm blind ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
Yeah. To me, anybody taking GMAT more than 2 (maybe 3) times lacks planning and foresight and has poor self-awareness. If you weren't careful about GMAT the first time, then after taking it once, you should know what to expect from the test. Then how do you end up taking it 12 more times :shock:

That was are exact comment at the info session at NYU. They replied that it showed determination. While I'm not suggesting anyone take the GMAT 13 times I am saying these are the thoughts of NYU's admission office expressed directly to applying students. They would rather take a higher a score from someone who took it 13 times over an average score from someone who took it twice.

As a reminder the deadline for applying to the diversity weekend is September 5th. I'm kind of bummed that they arent paying for expenses. A lot of other school normaly do this, Yale is one that comes to mind.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
I really hope that is not how the school feels. I would hope that getting promoted at work and having a life other than GMAT through extracurricular activities would be more important. Taking the GMAT 12 times shows that you don't have a life outside of the GMAT. I understand that is may show determination, but to me it shows a person is shallow and obsessive.

Personally my wife would leave me and my job would fire me if I decided to re-prep for the GMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
When it comes to the GMAT and NYU, I think they are at the far end of the spectrum. Most schools discourage multiple GMAT attempts (more than 2 or 3), but NYU really does not care about the number of times, and they pronounce this fact. Just be aware or what your other target schools say about multiple GMAT attempts. If NYU is your one and only choice, then by all means take the GMAT as many times are you need.

By the way, I am a reapp, WL last year. Hard to give advice to others when I didn't get feedback, but based on my opinion of my app I would say my shortcomings were my GMAT and lack of a exceptionally unique background. My strengths were solid WE in Finance and a strong and genuine interest in NYU.

We'll see what they think of my latest and greatest. Good luck to everybody, especially on that third essay!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
djhouse81 wrote:
When it comes to the GMAT and NYU, I think they are at the far end of the spectrum. Most schools discourage multiple GMAT attempts (more than 2 or 3), but NYU really does not care about the number of times, and they pronounce this fact. Just be aware or what your other target schools say about multiple GMAT attempts. If NYU is your one and only choice, then by all means take the GMAT as many times are you need.

By the way, I am a reapp, WL last year. Hard to give advice to others when I didn't get feedback, but based on my opinion of my app I would say my shortcomings were my GMAT and lack of a exceptionally unique background. My strengths were solid WE in Finance and a strong and genuine interest in NYU.

We'll see what they think of my latest and greatest. Good luck to everybody, especially on that third essay!

As you were on WL , did you try to bump your GMAT ??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
I really hope that is not how the school feels. I would hope that getting promoted at work and having a life other than GMAT through extracurricular activities would be more important. Taking the GMAT 12 times shows that you don't have a life outside of the GMAT. I understand that is may show determination, but to me it shows a person is shallow and obsessive.

Personally my wife would leave me and my job would fire me if I decided to re-prep for the GMAT.

I think this is getting distorted a little bit. Those issues are just as important as the GMAT. They are just saying that taking the GMAT multiple times does not hurt your chances. If you have terrible essays and no extracurriculars then no GMAT is going to get you in. But if you have a great application and a 650 GMAT taking it over several times to get 720 it is not going to hurt you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
gixxer1000 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

I think this is getting distorted a little bit. Those issues are just as important as the GMAT. They are just saying that taking the GMAT multiple times does not hurt your chances. If you have terrible essays and no extracurriculars then no GMAT is going to get you in. But if you have a great application and a 650 GMAT taking it over several times to get 720 it is not going to hurt you.

That makes more sense. I guess if you are over the mean score then trying 10 or 12 times would not make sense.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
As you were on WL , did you try to bump your GMAT ??[/quote]

I did try, but unsuccessfully. Now I am left with another GMAT attempt and nothing to show for it. That's why I say be careful, and know how your other target schools view multiple attempts. Not too much else you can say about this subject.

Ahhhh, that damn hindsight...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
mind sharing your GMAT percentile?

Close to 95??
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
mind sharing your GMAT percentile?

Close to 95??

No, I don't mind at all. 690 - 91% (47Q, 37V, 6 AWA). Adcoms from top 15 schools tell me that my score will not bring into question my ability to handle the work, but I better put together one hell of an application in order to compete with the higher scorers.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
No, I don't mind at all. 690 - 91% (47Q, 37V, 6 AWA). Adcoms from top 15 schools tell me that my score will not bring into question my ability to handle the work, but I better put together one hell of an application in order to compete with the higher scorers.

Thanks ...Mine was pretty close 700 ( 48Q 36V 5.5AWA ) ...Planning to retake the test in sep....I will be a re-applicant, so there is no point in applying with the same score.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the GMAT also matters more depending on what pile you are placed in. Obviously you have the Indian IT, where the overall average is probably on the higher range of the GMAT. Then the IB from NYC who apply in large numbers probably overall a tough group with a below avg to avg GMAT.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks ...Mine was pretty close 700 ( 48Q 36V 5.5AWA ) ...Planning to retake the test in sep....I will be a re-applicant, so there is no point in applying with the same score.

I would do the same, but I am confident that my WE and community involvements have significantly improved. Given that, my time is probably better spent formulating some great essays then trying to boost my score 10-20pts max.

However, if I get accepted to a school, I will take the test again and again until I get a 700+. Why, you ask? Well, b-school career counselors recommend that you put a 700+ score on your resume. Plus, I want to continue my finance track and investment banks like high GMAT scores, and they don't count how many times you've taken it. So, if I am back hitting the GMAT forums, then that is a good thing!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
However, if I get accepted to a school, I will take the test again and again until I get a 700+. Why, you ask? Well, b-school career counselors recommend that you put a 700+ score on your resume. Plus, I want to continue my finance track and investment banks like high GMAT scores, and they don't count how many times you've taken it

True!
Even i heard the same from a current student
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3