Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, there'll have to some some sort of post limit, or you can "purchase" the rights maybe? Then again, that won't stop people from shooting themselves in the foot by copying our essays (not that I'd care by then =P)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will really pity that unfortunate soul who copies my first draft - I wouldnt even copy it myself..!!!!!!!!!

Ok I am posting as many messages so I get to be senior manager asap!!!! Since no promotion at work, might get promoted on this forum :twisted:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
In effect , it *could* work like the challenges. Either people can pay for access or people with over 300-400 posts can get access to it free of cost. But then I have more important worries at the moment (like whether columbia will actually like my essays or not :( )
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lets give it a shot. If the existing crop of admitted students would like to contribute their essay to the club, I would be very grateful for their help. If you are interested, please send me a PM. Here is what you need to keep in mind:

a) Remove any personal identifiable information, including references to the school, places etc. Essentially, the use of proper nouns anywhere should be a no-no.

b) Essay submissions should be done voluntarily without any expectation of compensation.

If I may offer my opinion, I think you may complement this idea by inviting the existing admitted candidates to share their opinions of what their essay writing experiences were.... somewhat along the lines of "Share your GMAT Experience". Though it is tempting to focus on the final product, I think the process is more important than the final product.

Not that this will be a shock to any of you, but they say that the best form of writing often involves rewriting. Most well written essays are written and rewritten over an extended period of time. I think ncprasad's strategy is great.

kryzak wrote:
actually, that's what I was suggesting to (along with avi), to post the essays AFTER we get admits, so at the end of this whole season. but nc's analogy about a one-night stand is funny ;)

I think it should probably be something similar to the GMATClub challenges, where only people with 200 posts and over can get access, and we can post them anonymously if we like.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a GREAT idea to enrich GMAT Club and contribute back in a way more than just providing comments and stuff. There aren't enough sample essays out there, and most of the ones in books are written by supermen (or women). I will definitely be one of the most "average joes" if I get into some of the schools I want to get into.

Praet, Hjort, Fig, any CEO's listening? (I know rhyme is enjoying himself on some beach right now :P)

Originally posted by Praetorian on 22 Aug 2007, 01:28.
Last edited by Praetorian on 22 Aug 2007, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Excellent!!!!..

It would be awesome if the admitted students posted their first draft and finished draft (not necessarily their submitted essay).

What matters more is the idea that essays are not born overnight. The drafts are being posted so that prospective applicants feel comfortable with the idea that a lot of work has to be done and a lot of Asprin needs to be taken to cure the "Is my essay good?" headache.

As I agree completely with Praetorian, its the process that matters most.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My best ideas for applications come at random times like a lot of people so I have taken to carrying a small note book and just write thing down in it when they pop into my head. I have come up with a few of my best material this way.

When I work on my essays I just write and write, I am not worried about length at this point on most essays since once I have my ideas all defined I can reword stuff, cut useless info, and basically edit it to a high quality short essay.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Praet! Do you think the previous class (rhyme's class) would be interested also to help out with essay samples?

I agree with having a draft and final version, just for comparison. Removing all names and schools is good too.

Having a "Share your Essay Writing Experience" is probably good, but don't we have something like "Share Your Application Experience" already?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
While this is a great idea, one thing to be careful of is having things be too easily available. I would be willing to provide material after this year but the last thing I would want to do is have someone surfing around looking for ideas for their MBA application see it and steal parts of it. I am not too worried about they average member here since people on this site overall seem like a very dedicated and honest group. But there are those occassional bad seeds and god knows who lurks or just stumbles on this place.

It would be good to have it be restricted like the challenge area, and based off of your participation and contributions you are given access to the material...make people earn it.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I also like the idea of putting the essays anonymously. I am willing to post a few of mine (Those which are not too personal) once I am done with my admission process. It will help future applicants a lot if they can read some essays of us Joe Shmoes to get some idea of the structure and the flow of essays, and to see what succeeds and what not for us, mere mortals.

But first those applicants should get to the level of "Senior Managers" or above (At GMATClub) to prove that they understand the admission process enough to not blindly copy the essays and kill themselves. Maybe Praet or Hjort can come up with a better idea of ensuring that only regular contributors and mature applicants get their hands on such material.

Great idea ....

I will def. post my essays -if the essays happen to convince the adcom :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
My thoughts exactly !!!
riverripper wrote:
While this is a great idea, one thing to be careful of is having things be too easily available. I would be willing to provide material after this year but the last thing I would want to do is have someone surfing around looking for ideas for their MBA application see it and steal parts of it. I am not too worried about they average member here since people on this site overall seem like a very dedicated and honest group. But there are those occassional bad seeds and god knows who lurks or just stumbles on this place.

It would be good to have it be restricted like the challenge area, and based off of your participation and contributions you are given access to the material...make people earn it.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:

Sure. This will not be an open forum and you can only get in if you contribute X amount of posts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with the implementation.

We'll just have to decide how many posts are good... 150? 200? The other problem is, with the Math and Verbal sections of the GMAT forums, some people just respond "E" or "A" 200 times, should those people be allowed access compared to others like avi who have contributed good info for all of us but have under 200 posts?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I agree with the implementation.

We'll just have to decide how many posts are good... 150? 200? The other problem is, with the Math and Verbal sections of the GMAT forums, some people just respond "E" or "A" 200 times, should those people be allowed access compared to others like avi who have contributed good info for all of us but have under 200 posts?

Just like access to challenges, Praet can administer access control...

Earlier when challenges were accessible to users with > certain posts, few tried to cheat the system by random postings...but now it is history!

either pay the bucks or get access from admin

Originally posted by Ozmba on 22 Aug 2007, 13:04.
Last edited by Ozmba on 22 Aug 2007, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
maybe an invite only system from the mods?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was thinking along the same lines - an invite system would work fine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I like that... either invite or APPLICATION system :P (I know, like any of us need any more applications to write). But seriously, if someone wants access, they PM a CEO (or whoever is in charge of the area) and say why they should be allowed in. The CEO looks at a sample of the person's posts and grants access if he/she's a contributor to the site.

I think we're getting there with the logistics, I'm excited! (well, if I actually finish my essays and get into some schools and have something to post!)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I like that... either invite or APPLICATION system :P (I know, like any of us need any more applications to write). But seriously, if someone wants access, they PM a CEO (or whoever is in charge of the area) and say why they should be allowed in. The CEO looks at a sample of the person's posts and grants access if he/she's a contributor to the site.

I think we're getting there with the logistics, I'm excited! (well, if I actually finish my essays and get into some schools and have something to post!)

Same here... I dread to think what will happen once I start getting dinged!!...knocking on wood.. let one school be foolish and make a judgement slip and send me an admit!!!!

As in the movie Superbad.. we could be that mistake!!!! :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4