Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
fawreel902 wrote:
So I am assuming by your answer that my RC ability is weak?

no, you can see from my response that i was replying to:
"Any input and advice how to tackle the really long drawn out RC passages would be appreciated."

I should have provided more clarrification though...
LSAT passages are generally longer than GMAT RCs, and they are more dense and much more difficult.
If you become comfortable with those passages, GMAT RCs will seem simple in comparison.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Got it, thanks! But in general, is my hit rate good or does it need some work? I would just like to get over a 40 on my verbal and I would like to know what is required to do that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
fawreel902 wrote:
Got it, thanks! But in general, is my hit rate good or does it need some work? I would just like to get over a 40 on my verbal and I would like to know what is required to do that.

your hit rate is not bad at all.
I cant tell you what rate is required to get a 40 because there are so many variables that factor into the score.
In addition, your strength in SC and CR will determine how well you have to do on RC questions to get your 40.

Personally, 95% of the time that I spent studying verbal was dedicated to SC.

good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
StartupAddict wrote:
I disagree... how difficult are the LSAT RC's? Because on GMATPrep I've seen some EXTREMELY difficult RC passages....... 70 lines, confusing arguments, vague references, and the questions had difficult inferences..... very difficult to do after 2 hours of doing GMAT

haha, how can you disagree and then ask how hard the LSAT RCs are?

Initially, I had planned on going to law school for patent law, so i took the Testmasters LSAT class. My LSAT RC success rate was probably 65-70%
after 3 months of studying. My GMAT RC success rate was about 95%.

And by the way, GMAT RCs rarely if ever ask you to make inferences.
Most of the answers to the questions are spelt out exactly in the passage.

GMAT RC difficulty is relative, and obviously is not the same for everyone; however, i will say again with certainty that GMAT RCs are much easier than LSAT RCs.

so if you are looking for harder RC problems to tackle, look to the LSATs
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have heard that LSAT CR questions make GMAT CR look elementary. I never did try the LSAT, but others who have done superbly on the verbals claim to have derived much benefit from the LSAT practice.

It does make sense. Law school is all about reading and reasoning...

CookieMonster wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

Initially, I had planned on going to law school for patent law, so i took the Testmasters LSAT class. My LSAT RC success rate was probably 65-70%

GMAT RC difficulty is relative, and obviously is not the same for everyone; however, i will say again with certainty that GMAT RCs are much easier than LSAT RCs.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
I have heard that LSAT CR questions make GMAT CR look elementary. I never did try the LSAT, but others who have done superbly on the verbals claim to have derived much benefit from the LSAT practice.

CookieMonster wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

you heard right. The LSAT LRs (logical reasoning) do make the GMAT CRs look very basic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Man, I wish that I had had that tip about the LSAT tests before I took the GMAT! However, I scored a 40 in verbal and was getting a hit rate of about 90-95% during practice. I would recommend the Kaplan GMAT 800 book. It includes longer and tougher passages than most other books.

However, unlike most posters here, I've always been good at the verbal stuff and horrible at math. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am sure that LSAT passages are excellent to practice with. My problem is that getting up in the morning and doing 60-70 LSAT RC questions doesn't even come close to writing two essays, completing a 37 question long Quant section and then doing verbal questions, some of which are RC :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

I havent done many LSAT CR questions but from the ones i have done, i can say that they are not any difficult then the OG CR. the ones i come across in the MGMAT CATS are lot more confusing then both of them.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]