Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
so that means i am getting close to having a "7" as the first digit on GMAT. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Re: Are MGMAT CAT scores inflated ? [#permalink]
empty_spaces wrote:
OK i scored a 690 in MGMAT CAT 3 (V38, Q46) but heres the fishy part. i got 18 wrong in verbal and 17 wrong in quants . i feel these scores are way over inflated but since i haven't given Gmatprep till now, i dont know how to judge these scores.

Nah MGMAT is pretty straight with its scoring. You can expect to get about half or more of the Q's wrong. Look at the level of the problems you did, not how many you got right or wrong.

The math is crazy and sometimes the verbal can be screwy (i.e. 112 line RC that is straight out of an advanced graduate organic chemistry course's textbook).

But its the best CAT besides GMATPrep.

O ya, I heard MGMAT's math is a bit liberal on the scoring... However, i dunno if this is a myth, I heard you can add about 20-40pts to your test b/c of the difficulty or the quant section despite the liberal scoring.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yea the maths is pant pooping, i have never encountered such tough maths questions on any exam/study material related to GMAT, there maths make the gmatclub challanges look too easy.

Verbal looks consistent.

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
OK i scored a 690 in MGMAT CAT 3 (V38, Q46) but heres the fishy part. i got 18 wrong in verbal and 17 wrong in quants . i feel these scores are way over inflated but since i haven't given Gmatprep till now, i dont know how to judge these scores.

Nah MGMAT is pretty straight with its scoring. You can expect to get about half or more of the Q's wrong. Look at the level of the problems you did, not how many you got right or wrong.

The math is crazy and sometimes the verbal can be screwy (i.e. 112 line RC that is straight out of an advanced graduate organic chemistry course's textbook).

But its the best CAT besides GMATPrep.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, I came up with the 20-40 pts on the total score thing because I never got higher than Q47 on MGMAT CAT math, and my other tests were all in the 49-51 range. Thus, 2-4 pts on the Quant usually converts to 20-40 pts on the total score. Not the most exact science, but a rough estimate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
MGMAT CAT [#permalink]
why if MGMAT math is so hard this CAT is supposed to be the best?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
because doing harder math helps you a great deal when you go back to easier math on the GMAT. Also, the scoring is the most similar to the real GMAT. The verbal is pretty good (though not perfect) compared to the GMAT. That is why MGMAT is one of the better CATs out there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
because doing harder math helps you a great deal when you go back to easier math on the GMAT. Also, the scoring is the most similar to the real GMAT. The verbal is pretty good (though not perfect) compared to the GMAT. That is why MGMAT is one of the better CATs out there.

kryzak, what, in your opinion, is the ranking, of the, practice, CAT's out there?

(bonus grammar question in there as well)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
haha, well, I've only used the GMATPrep, PowerPrep, MGMAT, and Princeton Review. If you add Kaplan and what I've *read* about it, here would be my rankings:

1. GMATPrep - by far the most representative of the GMAT in terms of both scoring and test material

2. PowerPrep - Also uses real test material, but the scoring is a bit more lenient. The math questions are much easier, and the verbal is roughly the same. The only problem is it repeats a lot of questions from OG10 and OG11.

3. MGMAT - Uber-hard math will help you learn tricks to speed up your math and deal with tricky questions. Verbal has some problems, but overall is similar to GMAT, but slightly harder. The quant score is roughly 2-4 pts lower than what you could get on the real GMAT (assuming you don't get nervous or freeze up). The verbal score is pretty spot on. This provides the BEST comprehensive review of your test and the answers. If anything, I would take the test just for that!

4. Princeton Review - The math is extremely easy, the verbal has so many "wrong" answers and awkward RC/CR passages. I really didn't think this test would help me at all on the real GMAT after taking it once. The answer explanations for math and verbal were both not too good.

5. Kaplan - I've never taken it, but it's only because EVERYONE here says the score is roughly 100 pts lower than your potential real score, and the verbal and math were both unrepresentative.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think Kaplan is ok in terms of the level of difficulty both in verbal and quants, its just that there scoring algo. is all twisted.

kryzak wrote:
haha, well, I've only used the GMATPrep, PowerPrep, MGMAT, and Princeton Review. If you add Kaplan and what I've *read* about it, here would be my rankings:

1. GMATPrep - by far the most representative of the GMAT in terms of both scoring and test material

2. PowerPrep - Also uses real test material, but the scoring is a bit more lenient. The math questions are much easier, and the verbal is roughly the same. The only problem is it repeats a lot of questions from OG10 and OG11.

3. MGMAT - Uber-hard math will help you learn tricks to speed up your math and deal with tricky questions. Verbal has some problems, but overall is similar to GMAT, but slightly harder. The quant score is roughly 2-4 pts lower than what you could get on the real GMAT (assuming you don't get nervous or freeze up). The verbal score is pretty spot on. This provides the BEST comprehensive review of your test and the answers. If anything, I would take the test just for that!

4. Princeton Review - The math is extremely easy, the verbal has so many "wrong" answers and awkward RC/CR passages. I really didn't think this test would help me at all on the real GMAT after taking it once. The answer explanations for math and verbal were both not too good.

5. Kaplan - I've never taken it, but it's only because EVERYONE here says the score is roughly 100 pts lower than your potential real score, and the verbal and math were both unrepresentative.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
empty_spaces wrote:

Wow empty_spaces!! Did you get only 46 in the MGMAT quant with in the alloted 75 minutes? That is really good.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yep, i never pause the clock even if i end up totally screwing the test, i feel that there DS is not as time taking as PS, which is really really hard, but what the hell i got 17 wrong out of 37, so nothing to be proud of i guess. :(

gluon wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:

Wow empty_spaces!! Did you get only 46 in the MGMAT quant with in the alloted 75 minutes? That is really good.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
empty_spaces: 46 is a REALLY good score on MGMAT Quant. I got a 47 on a couple tests and scored 51 on the GMAT. The PS is WAY more time consuming on the MGMAT Quant than the real test. I actually enjoyed the PS questions on the real tests since I didn't have to check my answers as much compared to DS questions!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:

I hope that helps!

Someone here also mentioned that MGHill CATS are very good couple of days back. I have not experienced these CATs, but you can give a try and see.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
empty_spaces: 46 is a REALLY good score on MGMAT Quant. I got a 47 on a couple tests and scored 51 on the GMAT. The PS is WAY more time consuming on the MGMAT Quant than the real test. I actually enjoyed the PS questions on the real tests since I didn't have to check my answers as much compared to DS questions!

thanks Kryzak, thats definitely a confidence booster, though my problem is inconsistency, I am like the king of silly mistakes :oops: , i feel i can do much better on verbal as i always finish verbal with like 4-5 mins remaining, maybe i need 2-3 more weeks of practice to really get going afterall this is just my 4th week of GMAT preparation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
trahul4 wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I hope that helps!

Someone here also mentioned that MGHill CATS are very good couple of days back. I have not experienced these CATs, but you can give a try and see.

Yes, Trahul i also remember someoe mentioning the Mcgill CATS but i also remember someone mentioning that he/she found a lot of answers wrong in it. Still might not be bad to give em a try.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can someone shoot me a PM if they are willing to share McGrawHill. I have a FTP server where it can be uploaded to.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I posted that I liked the MGHill CATs. I thought the math was tough but fair, and overall was a similar experience to the MGMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2