Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Bogdan,

Thank you for you reply. The thing that keeps from getting 700+ is verbal skills – I have no doubt. My math score is 48, but my verbal score leaves much place to grow.

But how to increase verbal skills if you are not a native speaker? I found the answer from my past practice for TOEFL. My first diagnostic attempts gave me miserable 190-210 due to poor reading and listening. Grammar and listening proved to be easy to increase, but reading did not. I decided to read in English as much as possible. Quantity has to become quality. Earlier or later. My first official attempt gave me 260 with reading being 28. So, quantity is important.

Then I started preparing for GMAT. Its reading is far more difficult that that of TOEFL. I took GMAT and in a week retook TOEFL and got 273 with reding being perfect 30. So, there is yet another important point – preparation for more difficult test increases skills for more easier one. At least I think so.

But where to find verbal materials that are more difficult than those for GMAT? A friend of mine from Michigan (his own GMAT is 770) gave me an idea – LSAT can beef up verbal skills for GMAT. I believe him since his own score is so impressive.

Another Russian guy managed to increase his score from 550 to 760 in a year of hardworking. He left his job and sacrificed all his time to preparation. His case is also interesting.

Summing all, a number of problems solved is important, and the level of their difficulty is also important. This is my approach. It may not be a brilliant one, but I do not have another.

I plan to retake GMAT again, and I need to know your opinion of an expert. Thank you again.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
stolyar wrote:
Hi Bogdan,

Thank you for you reply. The thing that keeps from getting 700+ is verbal skills – I have no doubt. My math score is 48, but my verbal score leaves much place to grow.

But how to increase verbal skills if you are not a native speaker? I found the answer from my past practice for TOEFL. My first diagnostic attempts gave me miserable 190-210 due to poor reading and listening. Grammar and listening proved to be easy to increase, but reading did not. I decided to read in English as much as possible. Quantity has to become quality. Earlier or later. My first official attempt gave me 260 with reading being 28. So, quantity is important.

Then I started preparing for GMAT. Its reading is far more difficult that that of TOEFL. I took GMAT and in a week retook TOEFL and got 273 with reding being perfect 30. So, there is yet another important point – preparation for more difficult test increases skills for more easier one. At least I think so.

But where to find verbal materials that are more difficult than those for GMAT? A friend of mine from Michigan (his own GMAT is 770) gave me an idea – LSAT can beef up verbal skills for GMAT. I believe him since his own score is so impressive.

Another Russian guy managed to increase his score from 550 to 760 in a year of hardworking. He left his job and sacrificed all his time to preparation. His case is also interesting.

Summing all, a number of problems solved is important, and the level of their difficulty is also important. This is my approach. It may not be a brilliant one, but I do not have another.

I plan to retake GMAT again, and I need to know your opinion of an expert. Thank you again.

Reading...
yes, I know.
I have read fiction. I can't say how much it contributed to my Reading abilities, but I think it did a great job by feeling comfortable with lengthy texts and dense language.
I have tried many things - gmat topics such as history, business, phylosophy, etc, and I could never manage to get through, so I switched to just normal books. I have posted a collection of just ordinary books that are interesting to read and at the same time are helpful for Reading Comprehension practice, Style, Grammar, and Vocabulary.

Reading good books has many benefits at the second glance. Here is the link to the books; I have commented on each of them. (they used to be linked to Amazon but I have temporarily removed the links)

Check out the reviews section:
https://www.gmatclub.com/content/resources/reviews/

Anyway, you are an intelligent person and know everything about books, so I will stop about that now 8)

SECOND PART.

However, I credit my reading success mostly to Kaplan's strategy! I got 96th percentile on the Verbal being a non-native speaker and having a full time job (though with some breaks). I followed what Kaplan preached:
1)Pay attention to the first paragraph
2)Topic sentences are important, and the last sentence of a paragraph is too
3)PARAPHRASE - stop after each paragraph to sum up
4)Constantly ask yourself what you have read - active reading
5)Stop at the end to summurize the whole thing

KAPLAN'S VERBAL WORKBOOK has them described more detailed and I think there are more of them. I also took notes while reading. I did not refer back to them, but they helped me to remember what I have read. If after reading a text, you can't really tell what it is about - you did a bad job reading the text and should not waste your time answering the questions.... Many people go ahead and try to answer questions even if they did not get a clue from the text... this strategy won't get you a high score. You need to understand the text.

Also, I think I can't ever emphasize this enough - you need to review your mistakes - you should spend a good portion of your time reviewing mistakes - because this way you get to know how the system works. GMAT is not only about your skills about also about the test methodolody - you need to know how the system works. My roommate is a Law School student and he had a classmate who was 60 but smart and very wealthy. He spent a semester in Law School and then dropped out cause he failed all the classes. He could never figure out how the test system worked - he was bright and definitely knew how to earn money, but could not crack the system....

Anyway, enough of parables. Tell me what you think about reading fiction. Most of the people are quite skeptical about it.

P.S. As to quitting one's job, I thought about that, but how about references and all the stuff... it is a little questionable, also I needed income to live ;) did not save much...
VP
VP
Send PM
stolyar [#permalink]
Bogdan,

Yes, active reading is crucial not only for reading part but also for the whole verbal part. Developing active reading skills reqires practice. Again quantity is important. Quantity and time. My experience says that many people manage to have their scores increased due to a serious plus in the verbal part! Therefore, I hope for LSAT.

Thank you for reading tips - they are very useful, and I already see how to implement them. Books are OK, and I read books. But I also use Internet. There are perfect resources: https://www.science.com and https://www.nationalgeographic.com. Tons of GMAT-like passages for free. Science.com contains brilliant passages and pure, heavy scientific articles. Difficult language and grammar, vague logic, special vocabulary.

By the way, I am very happy to find your site. I have found it randomly by surfing internet. I will tell all my friends to visit and join.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: stolyar [#permalink]
Expert Reply
stolyar wrote:
Bogdan,

Yes, active reading is crucial not only for reading part but also for the whole verbal part. Developing active reading skills reqires practice. Again quantity is important. Quantity and time. My experience says that many people manage to have their scores increased due to a serious plus in the verbal part! Therefore, I hope for LSAT.

Thank you for reading tips - they are very useful, and I already see how to implement them. Books are OK, and I read books. But I also use Internet. There are perfect resources: https://www.science.com and https://www.nationalgeographic.com. Tons of GMAT-like passages for free. Science.com contains brilliant passages and pure, heavy scientific articles. Difficult language and grammar, vague logic, special vocabulary.

By the way, I am very happy to find your site. I have found it randomly by surfing internet. I will tell all my friends to visit and join.

I am not sure about emphasizing quantity. I had an advantage of attending an English Speaking University, but when I took my original practice test after studying with ARCO and PRINCETON I got around 550-600. That's it. I threw away both of those books and bought Kaplan: all 3 books and that's all I used. I never opened the official guide or GMAT plus. I had no idea those existed. I had a TOELF book for grammar and a bunch of interesting fiction to read. (one problem with websites you can't really read in the subway or in the car or in bed, though I read in bed with my laptop but not when I was studying). Anyway, as I predicted, you are skeptical of fiction. I bet there are a few US libraries in Moscow and you can get the books easily or on the web, they are under $2, most of them at least.

As to the site, I have not done a massive marketing campaign, I am developing a marketing strategy right now and will present it in my Markeing class and then we'll see how it goes. I plan to add many sections. Several are already read but I don't want to put them out and screw up the Strategy :) I am quite clueless of Marketing actually... but that's not related to the topic.

I would still not push for quantity. I'd rather allocate quality time and really get into the strategy. I can swear with a few things that after really using Kaplan's strategy - following it no matter how rediculous it sounds I got 75% correct instead of the usual 50%, and that happend over 10 minutes. I have lost the skill next time I tried, so I had to practice using thier way....

It is my story and I think it would work for all or for the majority at least if people are consisten with how they approach READING both practicing and taking the real test.

It is very late here and I have typed it up very fast, so sorry if there are crooked sentences. I am pretty tired.

Talk to you later,
Bogdan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Stolyar,

Looking at your input, it seems that you believe that LSAT is more difficult than GMAT. Do you really think so? I also feel comfortable about math section but I have to improve my verbal score if I want to score 700+. I have taken a look at the sample LSAT questions and it seems that they are logical reasoning questions. Is that same as GRE logical reasoning? And did you have chance to work on these problems to see if it actually helped you inproving your GMAT score?

Thanks for your input.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
am1974 wrote:
Hi Stolyar,

Looking at your input, it seems that you believe that LSAT is more difficult than GMAT. Do you really think so? I also feel comfortable about math section but I have to improve my verbal score if I want to score 700+. I have taken a look at the sample LSAT questions and it seems that they are logical reasoning questions. Is that same as GRE logical reasoning? And did you have chance to work on these problems to see if it actually helped you inproving your GMAT score?

Thanks for your input.

Actually, to deal with the LSAT is an advice of my friend, who got 770. He is not a native speaker, but got 49 on a verbal part. He practiced with the LSAT problems and advised me to do the same. I am inclined to believe him since his score is so impressive.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
stolyar wrote:
am1974 wrote:
Hi Stolyar,

Thanks for your input.

Actually, to deal with the LSAT is an advice of my friend, who got 770. He is not a native speaker, but got 49 on a verbal part. He practiced with the LSAT problems and advised me to do the same. I am inclined to believe him since his score is so impressive.

yeah, I guess it is hard to laugh into somebody's face and call him a fool in that situation :D . Though what troubles me is that if he got 49 on verbal, he must have gotten 48-47 on the math part... is that right?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that his math score is 50 or 51.
That guy is a true monster (graduated from Fiztech). 770 from the first try for a Russian guy is more than impressive. Moreover, his groupmate had the same 770, but with a reversed score of 49/51. How did they manage to do so is an enigma, but they both practice with the LSAT. I think the LSAT is not the sole reason, but it should be a significant one.

BTW, he has a dual degree MBA/JD.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
stolyar wrote:
That guy is a true monster (graduated from Fiztech). 770 from the first try for a Russian guy is more than impressive. Moreover, his groupmate had the same 770, but with a reversed score of 49/51. How did they manage to do so is an enigma, but they both practice with the LSAT. I think the LSAT is not the sole reason, but it should be a significant one.

That's still wierd. I have 750 with 49/42.....
I was suspecting that the computer got screwed up and it was not my success :) but the failure of technology. You know, in life, your success is somebody's failure, isn't it weird? it is like the limited supply of success....
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
You are a votary of the test :banana , so the ETS probably gave you a bonus. Say 100 points. :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bb wrote:
stolyar wrote:

I was suspecting that the computer got screwed up and it was not my success :) but the failure of technology. You know, in life, your success is somebody's failure, isn't it weird? it is like the limited supply of success....

740 is 50+40. So I don't think there is some failure in your case.
By the way, Bogdan, are you currently engaged in relationships with Muskie from Melnikova St.?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
SoTrue wrote:
bb wrote:
stolyar wrote:

740 is 50+40. So I don't think there is some failure in your case.
By the way, Bogdan, are you currently engaged in relationships with Muskie from Melnikova St.?

No, Melnikova St. Kissed my butt goodbye in the first round, even before I took the test. I had to get things moving on my own.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts