Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Nobody has asked. Nobody even talks much about prior schools (except as it relates to sports and such) or scholarships. On of the guys on my learning team (now a close friend) found out that I won the scholarship for entrepreneurship and he asked me why I didn't talk about that when when we first introduced ourselves. It's just never seemed like there is any sense of competition between students here. We have internal access to each others resumes, and I've seen several people will full scholarships who have never mentioned them. I will say, from personal observation, that to this point there has been a really really high correlation between students that are performing well in class (it's all case based here, so it's easy to know who's doing well and who isn't) and very high GMAT scores.

As far as recruiting, that's a different story. There's definitely no GMAT non-disclosure here. I've browsed resume books from other top schools and I think that GMAT non-disclosure is pretty unusual. The common procedure around here seems to be listing the GMAT if you scored 700+. We discussed this some last year, but banking and consulting recruiters well assume sub-700 scores for those that don't list it, and this can hurt you.

If you look at the Wet Feet and Vault guides, they point out that some recruiters are rumored to weigh GMAT scores heavily. After 2 weeks of recruiting, I've met with about half a dozen banks, and it's clear that some will be looking closely at GMAT scores. In their presentations, they say they are looking for (actual quotes) "pure athletes", that they are "drafting the best available talent" and that they value "high mental horsepower". I think there are a number of ways to demonstrate this, including high grades in quantitative courses (not an easy thing to accomplish at many schools) or perhaps past success in banking. I guess it's just like admissions, the GMAT is just one factor that they look at, but I don't think many of the top banks ignore your GMAT score. Of course, banking isn't for everyone.

I have attended mostly bank briefings. I have heard from friends that consulting firms are also looking for pure athletes, and at least those at the top will be looking closely at GMAT scores (I heard that McKinsey even asks for SAT scores). On the other hand, I think the GMAT has little consequence for marketing and general management recruiters. Those jobs are, generally speaking, less competitive, and most recruiters seem to be happy with the average candidate from their target schools. I guess even general management has it's elite as well though. I went to a Google briefing two weeks ago and I didn't get the sense that they would hire anything but the creme for their management program; distinguished perhaps by b-school grades, prior academic record and/or GMAT.

I do have some valuable advice to pass along to people applying this year; it's advice that we all heard last year but I didn't realize how valuable it was. Make sure that the companies you are interested in recruit at your target school(s). You will be given fair consideration by any company that recruits on campus, and they are well acquainted with and will be happy to hire people just like yourself. If you are trying for firms that doesn't recruit on campus, the task could be quite arduous.

I'll give an example that I witnessed myself. One of the bulge bracket banks recruits for Investment Banking here, and hires people for that program every year. A friend of mine inquired about a Sales & Trading position, and was told by the recruiter that there were far fewer S&T positions, and they were generally able to fill those positions at 3-4 core schools. He was welcome to apply through the general online position, but it was obvious from the response that this wasn't not likely to bear fruit. This type of situation would only work out for someone with a substantial background in that area. The bottom line is that recruiters will maintain year-to-year relationships, and applicants from non-core school will only be considered if recruiting needs can't be filled at core schools or if the applicant is unusually impressive in some way. My friend, as an average but not spectacular career-changer would have a shot at the banking program with this firm because we go to a core school, but no chance at the S&T job because in that case we are not a core school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've had several interviews for brand management positions already (and a few internship offers) and have never been asked about GMAT score. It also has not come up among my colleagues and I don't see that it ever would.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
we've only talked about it a little as it relates to other tests. As in, "wow, i actually read all the questions on the stats quiz - that puts me way ahead of the game when you compare it to my gmat experience." Stuff like that. And then sometimes a score comes up, but the score isn't really the point.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Xeo78 wrote:
I've had several interviews for brand management positions already (and a few internship offers) and have never been asked about GMAT score. It also has not come up among my colleagues and I don't see that it ever would.

Holy cow, that's fast!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nobody asked me either, which is a good thing because our median rose again this year. By the way, we are now the Foster School of Business thanks to a handsom donation deposited into our account earlier last summer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Xeo78 wrote:

Holy cow, that's fast!

Gotta love those conferences.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
During my visit to Johnson, I asked if gmat was a topic of discussion. The student rep said, "Nooooooo, it's never brought up; but once the alcohol starts flowing, gmat is the first thing that comes up!"
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
During my visit to Johnson, I asked if gmat was a topic of discussion. The student rep said, "Nooooooo, it's never brought up; but once the alcohol starts flowing, gmat is the first thing that comes up!"

yes, our old traumas do come up when properly lubricated. Put a few in me and I'll regale you with cringe stories from years past. Fortunately for me, I lose the ability to speak in english and whatever comes out is usually in french or spanish (or even russian), so very few people actually absorb the embarrassing stuff I'm saying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I learned today that consulting companies require the GMAT score when you apply to interview. Not sure about other industries.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
09App wrote:
I learned today that consulting companies require the GMAT score when you apply to interview. Not sure about other industries.

IB is also known for such shenanigans.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
09App wrote:

Yeah, and as I pointed out before, McKinsey even asks for SAT scores as well as LSAT and GRE if you've taken them. IBs also definitely ask for GMAT scores. Of the major destinations for MBAs, these are considered the most competitive.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Xeo78 wrote:

PM'd you...

No one has asked me.... i dont think anyone cares.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
Re: Has anyone asked what your GMAT score was? [#permalink]
lepium wrote:
I think it's funny that I've been at school for 3 weeks already and none of the 300+ people I've met have asked what my GMAT score was (and no, I'm not willing to show off since my score is just average)

Is it the same everywhere? Or do people actually ask you what your score was?

L.

do not worry guys!!! you will be asked by top recruiting companies.

Also some career management centers also ask you to put your gmat score in your resume.
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Has anyone asked what your GMAT score was? [#permalink]
Fistail wrote:
do not worry guys!!! you will be asked by top recruiting companies.

Also some career management centers also ask you to put your gmat score in your resume.

Mhhhmm, the way I see it, if the rest of my resume is not enough information, then I'm not sure I wanna work for those guys anyway.

L.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I've browsed resume books from other top schools and I think that GMAT non-disclosure is pretty unusual.

Just to add data, I've started looking at resume books (need to put my resume together ASAP) and there are no GMAT scores anywhere at HBS resumes.

L.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I've browsed resume books from other top schools and I think that GMAT non-disclosure is pretty unusual.

Just to add data, I've started looking at resume books (need to put my resume together ASAP) and there are no GMAT scores anywhere at HBS resumes.

L.

Yeah thats my intent this weekend. Get the resume shaped up.

Next week all the top firms will be here. Have u guys attended any consulting events with MBB and some of the smaller firms? What is the usual protocol?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Xeo78 wrote:

PM'd you...

No one has asked me.... i dont think anyone cares.

Hey Rhyme:
Whats ur contact details? We shud meet up sometimes since I am just a few blocks North of u in Evanston.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2