Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
anita_083 wrote:
Thank you very much for your invaluable advises, Mr. Bodine. Your encouraging words have opened up new possibilities for me.

I am currently in the middle of studying for GMAT, but would love to get in touch with you again via accepted.com for essays preparation and admissions consulting services. Please do let me know a good way to be in touch with you.

Thanks again and hope all is well!

- Anita

Anita,

You're welcome. You can contact me directly at pbodine@accepted.com. Good luck on the GMAT.

--Paul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Updates - Seeking feedbacks and advices [#permalink]

Originally posted by anita_083 on 28 Sep 2007, 15:17.
Last edited by anita_083 on 21 Apr 2008, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any thoughts from fellow gmatclubbers are also well appreciated!!

Good luck to all MBA-aspirants :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Updates - Seeking feedbacks and advices [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anita_083 wrote:
Greetings Paul,

It's been some time since our last correspondence. A few things have changed since then. Let's see here:

- Took the GMAT. Received 710 (Q47 V40)
- Received a Valuable Contribution award from work
- Been accepted as Associate Board of Literacy Chicago (fairly excited at the idea of volunteering at a board level!)
- Somewhat abandoned my idea of the three months volunteer leave due to work commitment
- Initiated an informal nonprofit organization to donate books to former schools in Indonesia (non 501.c3 certified yet, but some folks have been very enthousiastic at the idea of helping out). Am planning to get this started within the next one or two months

I am currently torn at the thought of leaving my job. Opportunities are abound, not to mention positive learning experience, so I have somehow decided to pursue a part-time instead.

This obviously changes the entire grad-school application efforts. I am looking at two schools in IL area, Chicago GSB and Kellogg. However, I would appreciate your advices on a couple items below:

- Application deadline for weekend and Evening MBAs for Fall 08 is June. Anything I can do to help guarantee admittance to the two programs (apart from the usual getting in contact with current students, researching and attending classes)?
- I have pretty much decided to pursue a non-profit consulting / management focus for my MBA, with enterpreuneurial classes thrown into the mix. The idea is to work in non-profit industry for a little bit (short term goal) prior to launching my own sustainable education nonprofit that is funded by my furniture design business in Indonesia (long term). Does that sound like a complicated Why MBA essay? I know you mentioned in your book to play it safe and pick a somehow attainable goal, so your two-cents on this is really appreciated.
- How do I show that my interests in furniture business to fund my nonprofit is not just a "fluff" goal? Esp the fact that I have not taken any design classes. The only thing I have done is just informal research of the furniture industry in Indonesia.
- What are my chances at the two schools mentioned above (for part time)?

Apart from these questions above, I would like to discuss this further with you via accepted.com services. Due to the complicated nature of my why MBA essay, I am thinking that a couple hours of chitchat to throw ideas to form outlines would be a good starting point. What would you recommend?

anita083,

Congratulations on the 710. You have obviously strengthened your chances. To answer your questions:

1. Anything you can do? Just keep doing what you're doing and, yes, work on building those networks at the school. You are definitely on the right track.

2. That goal path does not sound too complex or unrealistic to me.

3. Well, the best way would to begin putting that business together on paper if nowhere else. For example, have informational interviews with people in the furniture business to learn the business, the usual career tracks, the importance of an MBA. Refer to these conversations in your essays. Know that industry as well as you can and show that knowledge in your essays.

4. I think your chances are excellent at both schools.

I'm available to talk about your strategies, next steps, 'self-marketing themes' etc. whenever you're free. You can contact me at pbodine@accepted.com.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Updates - Seeking feedbacks and advices [#permalink]