Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
San Jose, California.

As I said, I'm not going to let one event make my decision, but it definitely didn't help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
kryzak wrote:
Just got back from the infosession. Oh boy, rhyme won't like this...

Where was this?

In any case, as others have pointed out, don't let a single event color your experience. For instance, my first GSB event with alumns I actually thought they seemed too shy ... not at all arrogant - maybe too far on the other side. Honesty, the best way to decide whether or not you want to apply is to come to campus, check things out, go out with some students and see how it is.

Agree with rhyme :) I have met today with Rose Martinelli and several alumni (IB, PE, management consulting, real sector). The presentation by Rose was very nice and I did not notice any down-grading in relation to other schools. She and Chicago GSB's alumni just compared different schools and pointed out the strengths and weaknesses as well as similarities of other schools and Chicago GSB.

Btw, I've found out that Tuck is in the mountains. So for those who like the nature of mountains, Tuck could be a nice place to spend two years :)

I have also noticed that Chicago GSB has an optimal number of class - 550 students for 2009 - just between S and W if I am not mistaken.

That's it.

Regs,
nick_sun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
nick_sun wrote:
Btw, I've found out that Tuck is in the mountains. So for those who like the nature of mountains, Tuck could be a nice place to spend two years :)

Did you just find this out? Tuck is in the middle of no where. Hanover is a great town of like 20K people but its at least a couple hours to Boston which is the nearest decent sized city. I suggest you visit in Feb. if you aren't from New England, that is one way to know if it is a place you can live. When I went to a Tuck event and all the alumni and staff were saying its a near requirement to play hockey there...even if you don't know how to skate.

On the GSB discussion, I went to class with Rhyme yesterday. I must say it lived up to the hype of being a tough school and not one of those fluff filled ones. I got the math but a lot of the stuff went over my head (I think most of the classes' head too), extremely fast moving.

I think any school is going to have people you will love and people you could live without. You really wont know until you go to admitted student weekends and meet tons of your future classmates what its really going to be like.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
river: what you said, while true, isn't "practical" for someone applying. If it takes the admit weekend to really know your fit for a school, then one might end up applying to 15 schools and not getting into any of them because they can't articulate the "fit" in their essays.

I understand if I had to choose between GSB and other schools, it'll take the admit weekend to really "know" where you want to go. But for application purposes, if GSB can't put out a consistent image across the board in terms of infosessions and outreach, I can see them losing a lot of students because not everyone is as willing to give a school so many chances. It's to rhyme's credit that I still plan on visiting GSB to make my final decision, because I respect his opinions and understand that there are bad alum/representatives here and there for all schools.

With that said, my focus for applications will be on schools that have so far put out a good image until proven otherwise.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I understand if I had to choose between GSB and other schools, it'll take the admit weekend to really "know" where you want to go. But for application purposes, if GSB can't put out a consistent image across the board in terms of infosessions and outreach, I can see them losing a lot of students because not everyone is as willing to give a school so many chances. It's to rhyme's credit that I still plan on visiting GSB to make my final decision, because I respect his opinions and understand that there are bad alum/representatives here and there for all schools.

Two things... first you shouldn't visit because of me. :) Second, Nor should you not visit because of some bad alums. :)

Jokes aside, honestly, take any school out there and you can meet someone who had a horrible impression at infosession X and someone who got an amazing impression at infosession Y. Heck I bet you could even say the same thing for the same infosession.

Riverripper for instance came to a class that, during the previous session had been very exciting, dynamic and interactive. It was fun, interesting and engaging. During riverripper's session, it was virtually a lesson in applied algebra. The experience, and his subsequent perceptions of the GSB, would likely have been very different had he come for the previous class. He's walked away with the idea that the GSB is tough academically (and it is to some extent) but the degree to which he believes it is could have varied dramatically had he been there for a more discussion based session.

I myself last year talked about how I was impressed as heck by Kelloggs infosession, unimpressed with the GSBs, but completely unimpressed and uninspired by my Kellogg campus visit, yet utterly blown away by my GSB campus visit - and in fact, the very "image" they presented (both the GSB and Kellogg) was bipolar in those two events - This issue of a consistent brand and image, I would imagine, for any school, is a constant challenge.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
rhyme, I agree with everything you said. Don't worry, as cool of a person as you are, I'm visiting Chicago to see both Kellogg and GSB (and you too =P).

In the end, it's sort of like the admissions process, a "luck of the draw" depending on who you meet, who you talk to, if the sun is shining during your campus visit or in an earthquake swallowed the campus the day before your visit. I fully understand that. I'm just a little bit disappointed with GSB's infosession and my previous discussion with a current student (who was very honest with me and brought up very good points about what's great and what's not about GSB - it wasn't a rant against GSB).

We'll see. I have my hands full with 3 schools for R1. Maybe after my application submittal and 3 week South America vacation, I'll think again about which school(s) I want to apply in R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Just got back from the infosession. Oh boy, rhyme won't like this...

I walked out of the info session with absolutely no intention to apply last year. Fortunately a friend kept pushing the school, so I submitted an app and did the interview on campus. Easily one of the best decisions I ever made. Just take the event as one data point and and come see the school for yourself, meet some students, which is it sounds like you'll do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
nick_sun wrote:

Did you just find this out? Tuck is in the middle of no where. Hanover is a great town of like 20K people but its at least a couple hours to Boston which is the nearest decent sized city. I suggest you visit in Feb. if you aren't from New England, that is one way to know if it is a place you can live. When I went to a Tuck event and all the alumni and staff were saying its a near requirement to play hockey there...even if you don't know how to skate.

I suggest you visit in February and visit a fraternity, if you're still in the party mode. Animal House was reportedly based on a fraternity there and they're keeping up traditions. I had the pleasure of taking a recruiting visit there while in high school. DO NOT underestimate the effect of two tons of sand and mandatory bikini attire (women only, sorry to the ladies here) in February.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
This sounds like my type of school

Let me see the essays of Tuck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
HI Guys,

do you know where I can get the recommendation questions? I would like to review the questions and based on that give my recommender an outline or bullet points of ideas. All the other schools put the questions up somewhere on the website, but I can't seem to find it for Chicago?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
HI Guys,

do you know where I can get the recommendation questions? I would like to review the questions and based on that give my recommender an outline or bullet points of ideas. All the other schools put the questions up somewhere on the website, but I can't seem to find it for Chicago?

Thanks.

no outline for U-Chic recos - as in they just mail your recommenders an ask them to write out a reco. Period.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sangoman wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
HI Guys,

Thanks.

no outline for U-Chic recos - as in they just mail your recommenders an ask them to write out a reco. Period.

Untrue, there is a copy of the questions on here. I am not sure if its in the rec best practices or this thread but they are there. I gave a copy to my recommenders.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I am uploading the recommender letter for GSB
Attachments

Reco_form.pdf [72.53 KiB]
Downloaded 150 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dude, thanks! much appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hey folks who are applying to Chicago, couple questions:

1) How do you know if your recommender submitted the rec? One of mine said he did it already, but I got no emails or any indication of that. I checked online and there's no indication either.

2) Where do you put undergrad work? Like internships, part-time work? In the "professsional" secion, they specifically indicate post-college work. But in the "education" section, they specifically indicate only extra curricular activities. I looked in the "what should you enter" explanation, and it only says activities like community service, clubs, but does not mention work/internships at all. I have 5 years of full-time work, so I don't have space for undergrad work in my resume either.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
I got an email once my first recommender submitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Really...that's strange...my recommender is positive he submitted...yet i didn't get any emails. I also don't see any indications online? Should'nt they have a status thing that says whether its submitted or not? All other schools have that...

Thanks anyway. They probably just didn't send it in yet, but didn't want me to know they're behind.

Also, if anyone know where to enter undergrad internship/work experience that would be great. Thanks.

Originally posted by aceman626 on 08 Oct 2007, 09:38.
Last edited by aceman626 on 08 Oct 2007, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts