Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
nice score for a nice person!
have a nice tour in your chosen bschool!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
subhen,

My sincere congratulations to you on your success. You should be very proud of yourself.

When I read your post, I felt that I could relate. I am 35 year old dad with a 7 month old. With a family, there are days when focusing on GMAT studying can be challenging. I am currently between jobs. So, although I have lots of available study time, the stress of job hunting plus challenges of finding time for study wears me down but I am trying my best and hope to achive a good score to apply within a year or two to an MBA program in Canada.

Anyway, congratulations again.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good score. Nice rebound from your two previous bouts!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
awesome score!
congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Friends thanks a lot. I wish you all the very best in your preparations. My advise would be to do the GMATPrep tests atleast 4-6 times by resetting the software to get attuned to the GMAT format and the type of questions.

I personally felt that GMAT quant was easy except a couple of questions towards the later part of the test which I had no idea how to apporach (probably a very hard bin question). Verbal was also surprisingly easy with only one RC that was fairly long. Infact I was doing so good in Verbal that I thought I will end up getting 45-47. But at times verbal scores are unpredictable. It is difficult to tell where one could have gone wrong in verbal. I was not 100% sure for only 2 CRs in the entire verbal section.

Ronron, you asked me to name 4 books that were most important. I would name OG11, Princeton Review (latest edition), Manhattan Sentence Completion and Manhattan Word Translations. Besides GMATClub is an invaluable resource.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Get going Subhen.

Congratulations for your good score!!

- Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Subhen,

Congratulations on the great score. I can completely understand the challenges of balancing between your personal study time, jobs and family. I am going through a similar position except that my wife and I dont have a kid yet. Hats off to your determination and perseverance. All the best for your admissions and I really hope that you land up in a college you want to be. Cheers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations !

Nice to see that this forum coughs up a lot of 700+ candidates.

Perhaps there is hope for me !

Well done Subhen !

:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
One of the other things that I must mention that I bought about 100 transparencies, a hard board and a fine transparency pen to simulate the scratch paper & pen in the exam. The pen in the exam is crappier so you would be better off trying out with a superfine pen when you are attemtping your tests at home. When I got 620 last time, scratch paper was one of the major reasons for the setback. Though I was better prepared than my first attempt and though I had read about comments regarding the scratch paper & pen, to experience it for the first time in the exam was something I was not mentally prepared for. So this time for all my exams at home I always used to do scratch paper work on trasparencies.

I was very disappointed to get 600 after my first attempt since I had worked extremely hard for over 3 months. I was so mentally demoralised that I could not muster the courage to attempt GMAT again till after almost 2 years. But the 620 after my 2nd attempt was devastating for my confidence and I had almost resigned and given up. But something inside me kept up telling me not to give up and with support and encouragement from family I decided to give my best shot one last time. As one grows in their career, it becomes even more difficult to find time to study. Anyway I am happy and relieved that I am done with this beast.

Btw I took the recommendation to heart about exercise and started running in the evenings a week before the exam. This helped me because running helps with better blood circulation and a feeling of well being. Also based on recommendation from other members as well as my doctor I tried Red Bull during the breaks to keep me mentally alert and energetic during the test. Maybe that also helped. I had never taken a Red bull before. I took both breaks but I decided not to change the scratch paper during the 1st break because I had created grid lines for choices A, B, C, D and E during the 5 mins tutorial section and I had specifically instructed the proctor not to change my scratch paper when I went for break after the Essay section. This also helped.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome, I remember you as one of the guys who always solves hard probability questions... Nice job!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Being 34 and having a 2.5 year old son . I am in the same boat as you were.
Your story just makes my resolution concrete. I am moved.
Best of luck for your future endevours.
Hope I can make it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fantastic achievement! Getting to 700+ is hard enough, getting there with kids makes it an even more remarkable achievement! Good luck with your apps =)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to all. I really appreciate your comments.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Subhen. That was quite an improvement.

Can you shed more light on what factors made the difference from 620 to 700+? I am especially interested in Verbal section.

How much was it when you scored 620?

Looking forward for your valuable debrief.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi trvikram,

Here is my breakup for all GMAT attempts.
730 (Q49, V40) - Oct 2007
620 (Q46, V29) - Jan 2007
600 (Q43, V30) - Oct 2004
For verbal I revised Manhattan SC cover to cover atleast 2-3 times. But Manhattan SC is no way sufficient. Thereafter I did the Brutal SCs. The Brutal SCs true to its name is really brutal. The first time I did it my hit rate was 60% eventhough I had finished Manhattan SC twice. Even towards the end my hit rate was 90-95% in Brutal SC. What I tried towards the end was to understand exactly why I got each and every verbal question wrong in GMATprep as well as OG questions and finding out why the choice I chose was wrong as well why all other choices were wrong as well. Infact I wanted to investigate what made me choose a wrong choice in Verbal during practice tests. This thorough investigation tremendously boosted my verbal pratice scores. Towards the end I started getting scores in excess of 45 in verbal in my practice tests. I relied on a lot of GMATclub, a lot of external links like OWL for fundas on Participles, Gerunds and Infinitives etc. The idea was to get my fundamentals clear as much as possible for both SC and Quant. The GMAT is tough unless one has strong understanding of fundamentals because one will invariably see different questions in the actual test and it is all about applications of what you have learned. So no matter how many tests one gives if the fundamentals are not clear he or she will continue to perform miserably.

Btw I also did GMAX Online course and I think their quant online video lectures are one of the best. I have done Manhattan classroom course and had access to their online videos. Though I would refrain from comparing the two, I found GMAX online more useful. The quantitative teacher in GMAX online is so exceptionally good and his fundas so clear. Its amazing how cool he is when explaining the Quant concepts. I have to give some credit to GMAX online for my quant score. I have to admit thought that the GMAT cheat sheet or summary of all formulas in Quant Turbo guide of Manhattan classroom course was also very useful to quickly review all quant fundamentals. I did GMAT club challenges but I used to perform miserably. I couldn't finish more than 7-8 tests but GMATclub challenges were useful to clarify my fundamentals and make me realize the kind of silly mistakes I used to make.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Subhen.

Any suggestions in CR and RC would also be of great help! Any new methods that you tried?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
For CR I did not do anything special. After a certain point in time one starts recognizing patterns. Infact I regret that I did not go thru the Powerscore's GMAT CR Bible which some recommend. To ensure that one is 100% prepared for CR, I think it might be good if you could go through this book. Ofcourse for the types for questions and approaches I relied on Manhattan RC/CR book but similar concepts can be found in other books as well. I did peek into Powerscore LSAT Bible which was uploaded by one of the members and the material looked good.

For RC, I was miserable too. But surprisingly towards the end my RC improved significantly to the extent that I was making very few mistakes. I guess what helped most was to review the questions one gets wrong and understand what led one to choose a particular choice. Quiet often we choose an answer based on instinct. That should be avoided at all costs. if it is a detailed questions, pl. ensure that you read the relevant paragraph before answering even if you might think that you know the answer. I managed to avoid a few silly mistakes by doing this. Also for bigger paras, I also tried to paraphrase but trust me it is not easy to paraphrase as well one can possible do in a mock exam in the actual exam owing to time pressure and partly owing to the crappy superfine pen and scratch paper. But it does help a little to paraphrase a few words to get the gist of the paragraph for bigger RCs. For smaller RCs, ensure that you read and understand the RC the first time you read it. This makes it easier for you to reply the questions once you are through with the reading.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts