Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [4]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [1]
Send PM
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink]
Kudos
Welcome GoalStanford. My name is Paul and I graduated from Concordia university in Montreal/Canada with a BComm. I'm a 700+ hopeful and I am aiming at the 1yr program at INSEAD. I had the chance to visit the school in 2003 and loved the campus and its serene learning environment. I am planning to write my GMAT in perhaps September and will be much more present on this site as of next week. This site has been to me like what water is to fish :) Bravo to GMATClub administrators and other members who make this place such a warm and friendly place. Each time I log on to this site, it makes me feel like another homecoming :circle
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
Grrrrr Grrrrr.

I am BE Computer Science and Masters in International Business both from India and currently working as a business analyst with major life insurance company in Detroit. Previously I worked as a risk analyst with the risk management group of another major property and casualty insurance company in Chicago.

I came across the club last year and since then preparing for GMAT. My aim is to get into big brand college or major school of government in USA. My career aspirations are insurance obviously and politics.

My permanent hobbies include creative writing, advertising, political commentary-India, business case studies, english movies and some other ad hoc hobbies which keeps on changing.

I am not made for GMAT and so now this is my forced obsession. A decent GMAT which can get me in is now in my daily prayer.

This club is an excellent place to hang around and the spirit here is genuine. All the very best to all in this club.

--BHAI
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
greetings all,
My name is Paul and I have a ba in finance. I work in finance in NYC and plan to take GMAT in August/September. Took the exam before, landed a 650(just under 80% on both verbal and math), need to get at least 50 more points. I know that practice, practice, and practice is the key. Target schools are nyu's stern & columbia. You should see me here a lot more next few months. Thanks to Praetorian and Bob who are doing a terrific job with this site.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Goal Stanford! This is a great idea and thanks for the intiative!

My name is Srijay and I am in Operations Planning and Mgmt working for a Chip Manufacturing firm in San Jose for past 3 yrs. I have a BTech in Mechanical Eng from India and a MS from Berkeley. I will be applying to Berkeley and some schools ranked above Berkeley. I will change careers to consulting/strategic mgmt with focus in healthcare industry!

My target score is 7** the ** doesnt matter, I just need the "7" in front :lol:
Quants is not a problem for me. But Verbals are going wayward! Sometimes I score really good, and sometimes I mess everything up! This inconsistency is bothering me and hopefully my score will improve with practise. Planning to take the test in July!

I came to know of GMATClub thru Google. The club is excellent and high in spirit and I am indebted to some of you for clarifying my doubts. Thanks to the founders and contributers! This site is terrific ...
CTO
CTO
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for all the warm words, they make me proud to be a part of GC admin team.

The idea of GoalStanford is an excellent one, and I wodner if you guys might help GC with ideas for User Profile extension. Presently I am working to add some extra fields to the User Profiles in this forum, like Industry and Work Experience, Target Shools, and Target GMAT Score (click "Profile" at the top of the page to see the latest addition). Some of them may later even appear below the user avatar at each topic. Do you think this would be helpful? Would you like us to include any other fields?

Thanks again for the brilliant idea.

By the way, GoalStanford and Bhai, which schools did you go attend for Computer Science? The field attracts me a lot (esp. software engineering, UML, etc), but so far in computers I'm a self-learned amateur, presently doing my third year for a BBA degree in Marketing. May I perhaps email you to ask some questions about the Computer Science field and the industry? Thanks a lot...

Toyvo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,
My name is Avtar and I live in San Diego. I have been working in the telecom sector for the last few years.Mostly in international business development. I already have a masters in international affairs from Georgetown University; hence I am looking for one year MBA programme. INSEAD, USC come to mind. I have 10 years professinal experience and I need 650( its not too much ask, is it) to get int the above menitoned programmes. Three years ago, I took the GMAT and scored 590. Quantitative stuff is not a problem, but the real pain is the verbal part. I re-take the GMAT in 3 weeks and just started my preparation. Any suggestions which books to buy? I was thinking of taking an intensive Kaplan course worth $1,249. Decided against it and thought that I should use that money and take my wife to Costa Rica and get drunk with her there!

This site is amazing. Loved it and I a came across it on yahoooooooooooooooo.

Avtar
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
I would say that from 590, Kaplan will only do you some good if you can afford it. I know it is a big sacrifice but look at it as an investment. If I had to pick between a course which would change my future and a trip elsewhere, you know what I would pick :lol: Well, that is only me but my 2 cents is that you should go for it. For someone in the high 600s to take a course would perhaps not be worth it as much as someone in the 500s. Remember, your future may depend on it :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Paul:
I am doing nothing but drinking, eating, sleeping both GMAT verbal part and probability. I need to improve on CR and RC. Do you think that the Kaplan course can teach me that? What is the best way to excel at CR and/or RC?

Last time I took the GMAT, I didn;t prepare for the verbal part. Currently, I am doing great in the SC part and need to work on the two above mentioned categories.

Please share your opinion.

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
If you really want to improve your SC/CR, practice on this forum. As I repeated over and over to many new members, work out every problems in excruciating detail. Know why your answer is good but also take the habit of knowing why ALL other answers are wrong. I, for my part, always try to support my answer and refute all other answers. The goal here is not to get the right answer but have a discussion going on. There is no merit in getting the right answer. Discuss it with other members and share your knowledge with other members as I am sharing what I learned from this website with you.

As far as RC is concerned, I would recommend you to read books and do some fast reading too. I'm not sure about what book to recommend you but you can also practice reading business articles. Try to read it fast and understand what information they want to convey. If you can team up with a native speaker who has good english skills, great. Ask that person to help you on RC. That is what I am doing but mostly, I will be reading many passages and try to understand and keep an error log. Do that and you will certainly improve and reach your target. It's not too hard, I'm sure you can make it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
It's been nice to 'meet' those who have decided to post a bit about themselves. :lol: It definitely made me feel more comfortable and real about the people I'm having discussions with.

So here's a bit about myself. My name is Annie and I've been working in Administration & Accounting for the past 4 years in Kiev. I have a BBA in Management. I know for sure that I would like to continue my education (an MBA in the US), but I sill haven't come up with a definite plan.

I have to say that over the past couple of weeks the spirit of this site and of the discussions have given me inspiration to really search & reach out for the goals I want to accomplish. My main fear is not being able to undergo all the rigors of the application process as a whole, not just the GMAT. As far as GMAT goes, I really enjoy Verbal and find it fun and workable, whereas math scares the 'heck' out of me! I guess I'll just have to attack the Math Section with a vengeance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
HELLO GUYS AND GALS,

I a m bit late as usual...but that s my charecterstic feature :-D

I am an INDIAN ... an M.B.A with an year of work-ex frm an INSURANCE cos...left the job cos I felt it was not going to give me what I need...right now in for the GMAT ... seems like slow run but hope to ''catch up'' and get into a really fast mode planning to score ...welll... I guess thatz thr on my ''target'' score below my profile :-D

I intend do another M.B.A ( may surprise most ppl ) but yes ... I belive I have a lot left to ''learn '' and ''grow'' and ''mature'' both as an m.b.a and as a person! I would like to settle for the top-schools reason: well one can test his mettle only by PITTING against the best in the world and I intend to do so ''

my motive is to help and to achieve and most of all make this world a much happier place to live... I will strive my best to get that done!

one of my fav qoutes: weakness is death , strentgh is LIFE

another - the Whole World Makes Way For The MAN who knows where He Is Going !

yes I always belive in having a good fun !

take care ...

Have Fun :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey people, my name is Derrick and I'm from Flint, Michigan. I graduated in 1999 with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Louisiana State University (LSU). I'm currently trying to enter the MBA program at the University of Michigan, my target GMAT score is a 560 (I know that's not nearly as high as what some of you guys are reaching for :-D ) I plan to take the GMAT again in mid-July (1st try was a 460). I currently work as a process engineer for the Ford Motor Co., I came across this site by accident during my research for the GMAT. This site has really been a big help in my GMAT prep.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi I am currently working as a business analyst in a marketing department in Miami. I have a BS in Computer Science from India and a MS in Compter Science from Illinois State University. I have developed business applications for the past 6 years.

Like everybody else here I am aiming to get in to the top 10 schools. I am not sure what to specialize in yet. I am aiming for a 750 and I have been preparing for the past 3 weeks. I improved from 600 to 700 proving the hard work has paid off.

My biggest weakness is SC followed not so closely by RC. I look foward to studyng with you guys. Good luck!

Rajiv
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and talk about some of my goals for myself over the next few months!

My name is Joe and I am currently working with a non-profit organization in North Carolina. I graduated from Villanova University in Philadelphia two years ago and now I am ready to start thinking about going back to school again.

I signed up for the GMAT today actually and will be taking it at the end of September. I took my first diagnostic test last weekend and got a 550. I need to get that up to 650 for the schools that I would like to attend. I did fairly well on the math part, except for the DS, but the main problem with that was I had never seen a problem like that before and never seen any strategies for it. I am hoping once I go over that section, I will bump that score right up there.

Verbal is a little different, I did pretty well on the critical reasoning section, but my RC and SC were terrible and I think I just need some refreshers on techniques to get through the questions.

As for now, I am just going to practice, practice, and practice until I get more comfortable with it. I have just about 3 months to prep so I think with some hard work and dedication, I will be fine.

I am looking forward to getting advice and help from all of you and I think this is a great site and a site I am very happy to have found. Thanks and keep on posting!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [0]
Send PM
I am doing this way too late, but its never too late for anything in life.
I joined this forum in march, and have been more of an observer untill I started the last phase of my preparation sometime back.

My name is Ashish (it means "blessing" in my native lang),however, most of my friends call me "ash". It's a short and sweet name !

I am an Indian, but presently in USA (since the last 6months) for a project, that will last for probably 6 months more.

I have "the" exam on 10th july, a week from now, and I thought it better to introduce myself now rather than doing so after the exam.

Paul asked me if I was an accountant ;-) , so that prompted me to introduce myself properly.

I am a web developer in the IT industry, and will have around 3yrs w/e in september.
My goal is to get admission into one of the top 20 schools, for fall 2005 intake.

I'll keep it short, as I got to study :)
thanks
ash.

This forum is great........that's what I'll end my intro with :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I've been contemplating to do my GMAT by this year end, and i've fixed a date in September-end. I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done for the test. This site has been a blessing, and the challenge round was good. Though i didnt do that well, i hope i'll improve in the days to come by.
My goal is to reach INSEAD by 2005. I'd have about 3 years experience by then working in the software industry in India. My aim is to shift my career to Finance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ,
My name is satish. I have a bachelors in Computer science. I have about 8 + yrs of experience in the s/w consulting business. my ideal GMAT score would be mid 700's and considering my current scores (I scored a paltry 600 on my Kaplan assessment test), I have a long way to go. I love consulting business and would like to switch to management consulting from software consulting, not that I have any experience in it, but what the heck theres gotto be a first time. My ideal schools are Berkley , Fuqua. I would like to improve upon my verbal skills. SC in particular. Good luck preparing for GMAT guys. Lets all kick some GMAT butt

Ciao
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66